Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Any bill that hasn't cleared one chamber by Monday, May 11th is dead. We're about to lose both campus-carry bills (HB1893 & SB1164). If the Calendars Committee doesn't send HB1893 to the floor in the next day or two, it's dead. If Senator Duncan doesn't have his committee vote on SB1164 TODAY, it's dead.

If you care about campus security and the campus-carry bills, then stop what you are doing and get on the phone to everyone on the Calendars Committee and to Senator Duncan. Send faxes also, if you can. As always, be polite, but it wouldn't hurt to politely advise them that you are aware that they are using delay tactics to avoid even allowing a debate on this issue.

Two years of very hard work, as well as an interim study, is about to go down the political drain. I cannot overstate the importance of everyone getting involved now! Waiting until later or hoping others will make the calls and send faxes will guarantee the demise of both bills.

Chas.

House Calendars Committee
Chair: Rep. Brian McCall (512) 463-0594
Vice Chair: Rep. Eddie Lucio III (512) 463-0606
Members:
Rep. Norma Chavez (512) 463-0622
Rep. Garnet Coleman (512) 463-0524
Rep. Byron Cook (512) 463-0730
Rep. Brandon Creighton (512) 463-0726
Rep. Charlie Geren (512) 463-0610
Rep. Jim Keffer 0656
Rep. Lois W. Kolkhorst (512) 463-0600
Rep. Edmund Kuempel (512) 463-0602
Rep. Jim McReynolds (512) 463-0490
Rep. Allan Ritter (512) 463-0706
Rep. Burt R. Solomons (512) 463-0478

Senate State Affairs Committee
Chair: Sen. Robert Duncan (512) 463-0128
Vice Chair: Sen. Bob Deuell (512) 463-0102 (Just tell Sen Deuell THANKS for his strong support!)
Members:
Sen. John Carona (512) 463-0116
Sen. Rodney Ellis (512) 463-0113
Sen. Troy Fraser (512) 463-0124
Sen. Chris Harris (512) 463-0109
Sen. Mike Jackson (512) 463-0111
Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. (512) 463-0127
Sen. Leticia Van de Putte (512) 463-0126

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Post by tfrazier »

Please don't disregard this call to action because you aren't in school; remember that many have perished to fight for rights they would never use or need, simply for the sake that others would use and need them.

A phone call or fax isn't much to ask, is it?

Please get on the horn now for our brothers and sisters who attend classes in our colleges and universities.

I made myself a phone script to use so I wouldn't have to worry about what I was going to say when I actually got someone on the other end:

Hello, my name is _______.

I'm calling about House Bill 1893 and Senate Bill 1164 regarding campus carry. It is my understanding that these bills are currently held up in committees. I would like all the committee members to know that it is my desire that the bills be moved forward for a fair vote, not left to die in committee.
If someone has better wording please feel free to post edited versions.
Last edited by tfrazier on Tue May 05, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

threeg45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by threeg45 »

Not surprisingly the phone lines are busy and have been for a very long time. I will keep trying and hope others will not give up. I am afraid that Senator Duncan does not want to hear what the people have say, the phone is off the hook.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

tfrazier wrote:NOTE: I think the prefixes in Charles' list should be 463, not 469...sent him a PM on the first one, but I just figured it out

NOTE: I think the prefixes in Charles' list should be 463, not 469...sent him a PM on the first one, but I just figured it out

Please don't disregard this call to action because you aren't in school; remember that many have perished to fight for rights they would never use or need, simply for the sake that others would use and need them.

A phone call or fax isn't much to ask, is it?

Please get on the horn now for our brothers and sisters who attend classes in our colleges and universities.

I made myself a phone script to use so I wouldn't have to worry about what I was going to say when I actually got someone on the other end:

Quote:
Hello, my name is _______.

I'm calling about House Bill 1893 and Senate Bill 1164 regarding campus carry. It is my understanding that these bills are currently held up in committees. I would like all the committee members to know that it is my desire that the bills be moved forward for a fair vote, not left to die in committee.

If someone has better wording please feel free to edit.
Well Tim, I messed up your post by hitting the "edit" button instead of the "quote" button. I hope I got it back the way you had it. I wanted to say thanks for catching my mistake.

Chas.

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

"rlol" I think we confused the system because both of us were in there editing it at the same time. I assumed you were just "abusing your power"!

You got it close enough...and you're very welcome!

lws380

Post by lws380 »

Phone lines were open for a few calls I just made. Got through to House and Senate chairman's.

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DoubleJ »

lws380 wrote:Phone lines were open for a few calls I just made. Got through to House and Senate chairman's.
I as well.

"The Phone Lines are open"
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

More action needed!

I have more information from Austin. We need everyone to make constituent calls and we need them badly. The Brady Bunch has been flooding the co-sponsors and other House Members with negative calls and it's making our supporters very nervous because they aren't getting calls from us. Well, that's usually the way they like it when they are supporting our bills, but that has all changed now.

Please go to this website and get the name of your Representative. Then check the co-authors to see if your Representative is on the list. If they are a co-sponsor, please call and thank them and if they aren't on the co-sponsor list, ask for their support.

Thanks,
Chas.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Called Rep Crownover's office and her phone person said that she is waiting on it to come out of committee before she gives an opinion on it, but she has worked with ya'll in the past and is typically in favor of these types of things.

Called Sntr Estes office and thanked him for his authoring the SB1164, and for his support.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

XDJoe

Post by XDJoe »

Called all except: Vice Chair: Rep. Eddie Lucio III (512) 463-0606
His phone went straight to voice mail and the voice mail box was full.

All took my name, some took my phone or address and indicated that my support for these bills were duly noted.

sss

Post by sss »

Called everyone on the list and showed my support for the bills. Hopefully enough of us will call and encourage them to put the bills through.
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 19

Post by TexasComputerDude »

should we call more than once? I can use different phone numbers
Glock 30 - main ccw

Codename46
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Codename46 »

Just called Duncan's office.

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

TexasComputerDude wrote:should we call more than once? I can use different phone numbers
"rlol" Only if you haven't publicly posted a message stating you were going to employ such nefarious ACORN type tactics! :smilelol5:

EDIT: I'm just poking fun at you, man. It just struck me funny and made me think about those 17,000 duplicate voter registrations out in New Mexico or wherever.

Codename46
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Codename46 »

Wait, how come campus carry dies today if Duncan doesn't call for a committee vote today? I thought Senate Affairs Committee doesn't meet today...

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”