The NRA.....lets talk!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ClarkLZeuss
Posts in topic: 3

Re: The NRA.....lets talk!

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

Right now, I am not a member, and do not plan to become one (but anything can change), due to this reasoning: a good percentage of people that are in my life are moderate to anti-gun. In fact, long before I was a gun owner myself, I use to tout the same kind of anti-gun, anti-NRA things that these people say. If I joined the NRA, and they found out about it, I feel that I would lose influence with them. What I mean is, if I'm trying to convince these people why it's a good idea to own guns and fight for your 2A rights, and if it comes up that I'm an NRA member, I imagine most of them would dismiss my reasoning at this point with "Oh, well, of course you'd say that...you're in the NRA!"

I think I can make more of a difference out there by not being an NRA member, because then I no longer fit the stereotype that these people (family, friends, students, neighbors) have already dismissed. It's also the same reason I don't subscribe to Guns & Ammo, wear Glock T-shirts, etc. I want to maintain the tactical element of surprise. :cool: So, this is not at all to say the NRA is bad, or I don't support them. I definitely support them. But in my situation, I believe the best way to make an impact is from a more covert position.

Example:
Friend: So you went and bought a gun, huh?
Me: Yup, I sure did.
Friend: Didja join the NRA too? Haha!
Me: The NRA? No man, who do you think I am...some kinda gun nut?! I just want to protect my family. There's a lot of bad people out there. Don't you think?
Friend: Hmmm, no doubt.
Me: So why don't you get a gun, too?
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rm9792 »

But how would they know you were a member? Cant you "just say no" if asked?

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

rm9792 wrote:But how would they know you were a member? Cant you "just say no" if asked?
Concealed means concealed, right? :thumbs2: Haha.

Seriously though, since the NRA is like this bizarre stumbling block to the people I hope to "convert," I'd rather not be carrying that around so I can more easily make some "disciples." And then once they are "baptized" maybe we can all join the NRA together!

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 25

Post by nitrogen »

ClarkLZeuss wrote:
rm9792 wrote:But how would they know you were a member? Cant you "just say no" if asked?
Concealed means concealed, right? :thumbs2: Haha.

Seriously though, since the NRA is like this bizarre stumbling block to the people I hope to "convert," I'd rather not be carrying that around so I can more easily make some "disciples." And then once they are "baptized" maybe we can all join the NRA together!

ClarkLZeuss, I can completely understand your thought process here. My folks are both the stereotypical "East Coast Liberals" and while I keep a bit of that east coastism myself, I've outgrown most of it, too.

I have many issues with the NRA, as you probably know by reading this thread: But I support their basic mission, so I am a member. I feel the same way about the NRA as I do the ACLU. I support their core mission as well, but I surely wish they'd do things differently.

The BEST thing anyone can do in the battle to keep our rights is missionary work. Be the example that breaks the negative stereotype. Be the example that the "East Coast Liberal" would have a hard time disagreeing with. It works.

We can lobby our legislators, but we as a group can only do so much. We need to grow the group.

Until pro-gun folks can look a pro-choice, pro-illegal immigration stereotypical liberal in the eye and say, "You're wrong about guns, and here's why" without engaging them on other things they might disagree about, our numbers will not grow appreciably.

The neat thing is, you'll find once the "pro gun virus" starts its work on the stereotypical "liberal" you'll find some of their positions on other things might change. At worst, you might actually find them listening to other arguments without dismissing them out of hand...
Last edited by nitrogen on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

Thanks for the support and the thoughts, nitrogen. Well said.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

nitrogen,

I think you may be very surprised if you take the time to look into the formation history of the ACLU.

They're mission is not what you (and the balance of the uninformed) may think it is...

Yes, I'm a conservative, but not a knee-jerk reactionary.

If you do take the time to look into what they're about, I'm going to guess you'll be shocked and disavow them immediately.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

I noticed that the ACLU website only mentions the 1st Amendment specifically on its Home page. Interesting.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Purplehood,

Dig deeper...

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Abraham wrote:Purplehood,

Dig deeper...
Give me a clue Man~!
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 25

Post by nitrogen »

Which part of the ACLU's history do you not like? The fact that they were formed due to the Palmer raids, and fought for the right for workers to organize and unionize? Maybe thats it, because all unions are always evil!

Maybe its the fact that they they ban certain political ideologies in their board?
No, Roger Baldwin was NOT a commie.

I actually like the fact that they fight for the rights of disgusting people. The rights of disgusting people are easy to take away, and then make great precedents for taking away the rights of less disgusting people.

And yes, their position on the second Amendment is 100% wrong. Nobody gets it right all of the time, you know.
They can't be THAT bad, I don't think Alex Jones has a problem with them (or does he?)
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Liberty
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Liberty »

nitrogen wrote: And yes, their position on the second Amendment is 100% wrong. Nobody gets it right all of the time, you know.
They can't be THAT bad, I don't think Alex Jones has a problem with them (or does he?)
They aren't 100% against the 2nd amendment. The Texas Branch has been pro active in protecting these rights.

I wish they were more libertarian and less leftist though. And take on a few 10th and 14th ammendment issues
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 27

Post by flintknapper »

O.K. guys...if you want to argue about the ACLU start a new thread please. :mrgreen:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

flintknapper,

Right you are, I'll start a new thread.

My apologies for getting off topic.

forever_frost
Posts in topic: 1

Post by forever_frost »

I would join the NRA in a heartbeat (and I have been a member several times in the past before the military), if they had a pro-stance on open carry. All gun rights are important and none should be infringed. I think that would do it for me.

Hos

Post by Hos »

The NRA's not perfect but neither am I. I finally joined last week. Also, the only way to change a system is through the (NRA) system.
God, Goats, and Guns

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”