ATF Released New Proposed Pistol Brace Rules

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ATF Released New Proposed Pistol Brace Rules

Post by Boxerrider »

Locktite usually responds to heat.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Rafe »

Boxerrider wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:40 pm Locktite usually responds to heat.
There's a thought. Thanks. My friend tried a handheld hair dryer, but didn't give it much heating time. I'll tell him to give that another go when he's ready...if the ATF rule is still there in three months. It's a SIG rubber pistol brace, so a torch is out. Hope the manufacturer didn't use Loctite 263 on it...or their Super Glue Professional product. :???:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Grayling813 »

News from Reeves & Dola, LLP
ATF's New Brace Rule Takes Effect TODAY
*** What You Should Know ***
https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Ale ... IExV9NJvJU

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. … Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” — Thomas Jefferson, “Commonplace Book,” quoting 18th-century criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1774-1776

“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. … The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun.” — Patrick Henry, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1778

There is only one reason people in power wish to disarm citizens. Control and power.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Paladin »

Some legal opinions regarding the Rule:

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm torn between two courses of action here:

1) Remove and PSB's and store them separately from any firearms. Don't register anything.

2) Buy a bunch of pistol length AR uppers and register them as SBR's with my PSB equipped lower(s).

I will likely wait a couple months to see how the legal appeals play out before I make a decision on this.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:39 am
I will likely wait a couple months to see how the legal appeals play out before I make a decision on this.
:iagree:

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

Can I increase the barrel length by permanent attachment of a muzzle device to turn my "pistol" into a true rifle?
My specific example is a 12 inch 9mm. Since 9mm and 223 barrels are both threaded 1/2X28, I am considering permanently putting on an XM177 flash hider.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Malawler wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:13 pm Can I increase the barrel length by permanent attachment of a muzzle device to turn my "pistol" into a true rifle?
My specific example is a 12 inch 9mm. Since 9mm and 223 barrels are both threaded 1/2X28, I am considering permanently putting on an XM177 flash hider.
Technically, you can. You still have to file form-1 to re-manufacture a pistol into a rifle.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am holding on any action by me/corporate ID till we get some clarity from Courts and Congress.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 3

Post by troglodyte »

:iagree:
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Rafe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:08 pm That is, if my friend is able to take the darned brace off his bought-as-a-complete-firearm pistol. He tried again by clamping the gun, wrapped in a towel for padding, in a vise. No go. That brace is Loctited on that sucker. Any more torque than has already been applied is gonna damage the gun.
Yes, red loctite will soften somewhat when it's heated up. I got a grip screw like that out of my AR using a little propane torch flame on the screw head. I put the point of the flame on the head for a few seconds at a time, to avoid overheating the surrounding material. Eventually it worked out. Getting it started was the hardest part.

If this isn't feasible, I would try heating the screw with a soldering iron, again in intervals, giving the heat time to travel down to the screw tip.
-Ruark

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Malawler wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:13 pm Can I increase the barrel length by permanent attachment of a muzzle device to turn my "pistol" into a true rifle?
Yes, no issue going pistol to rifle so long as the resulting barrel length (including permanently attached muzzle device) is 16” or greater. This course was even outlined in the ATF filing. No NFA paperwork required.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

NRA, 25 states sue Biden ATF to stop 'arbitrary' and 'unlawful' pistol brace rule
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nra-25 ... brace-rule
The National Rifle Association (NRA) is challenging a move by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to regulate guns equipped with stabilizing braces, also called pistol arm braces, like short-barreled rifles, which require a federal license to own under the National Firearms Act (NFA). In a federal lawsuit being filed in North Dakota Thursday, the NRA argues that ATF's new rule is "arbitrary" and vague to the point of being an "abuse of power."

"The bureau is declaring that they will effectively decide on a case-by-case basis whether a firearm is subject to the NFA. Every American gun owner is in danger of potentially facing felony charges at the whim of these bureaucrats and without any new statute in place," said Jason Ouimet, executive director, National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action.

NRA is joined in the lawsuit by SB Tactical, B&T USA, Wounded Warrior Richard Cicero, and a coalition of 25 states led by West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey and North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley, including Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

GOA AND TEXAS AG PAXTON FILE SUIT AGAINST ATF PISTOL BRACE RULE
https://www.gunowners.org/goa-and-texas ... race-rule/
Washington, D.C. – Today, Gun Owners of America (GOA) and the Gun Owners Foundation (GOF) jointly filed a lawsuit challenging the Biden Pistol Brace Ban with Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. The suit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”