After Supreme Court ruling, it's open season on US gun laws

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Re: After Supreme Court ruling, it's open season on US gun laws

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:40 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:58 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:29 pm
mayor wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:03 am Hypothetical question.
If the US government decides it's a good idea to follow Australia's lead and ban guns, at what point do citizens use their guns to shut that nonsense down?
I think the real question is "what percentage of US citizens will actively resist". My guess is that it will be a very small percentage, but that it will be enough to make any confiscation effort extremely unpleasant for the government.
I agree. What I think what would most likely happen is most gun owning Americans will first attempt to just quietly secret their guns away in their homes. The question would next be, how will the government react to people refusing to turn in their weapons. The door to door thing will be the only option left for the government. That is when I think we will see what happens next.
Who are they going to send door to door to take away guns?
My local PD won't do it.... Yes.. I asked them.
Texas National Guard? Who are you kidding?
There are not enough FBI/Federal agents to get the job done and I expect a fair number (most, hopefully) of them would tell Uncle Alzheimer to pound sand.
I wish I had your confidence in what your local PD "SAYS" to you. Law enforcement is not honorable when it comes to sacrificing their pensions or salaries. History has shone police will take their orders from their boss and execute. They don't see civilians as their bosses. I hope you are right and other PD's would refuse to do the same. I don't think most local PD's would do it because they don't have the manpower. The most likely thing I suspect would be a newly installed department of Federal law enforcement.

03Lightningrocks

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:40 am
If the US government decides it's a good idea to follow Australia's lead and ban guns, at what point do citizens use their guns to shut that nonsense down?
I think the real question is "what percentage of US citizens will actively resist". My guess is that it will be a very small percentage, but that it will be enough to make any confiscation effort extremely unpleasant for the government.
I agree. What I think what would most likely happen is most gun owning Americans will first attempt to just quietly secret their guns away in their homes. The question would next be, how will the government react to people refusing to turn in their weapons. The door to door thing will be the only option left for the government. That is when I think we will see what happens next.
There are not enough FBI/Federal agents to get the job done and I expect a fair number (most, hopefully) of them would tell Uncle Alzheimer to pound sand.
:iagree: The real problem for the gun-grabbers is that many of them just don't understand the concept of logistics. Logistics does not simply mean moving packages from one place to another.
:iagree:

03Lightningrocks

I am wondering what the rate of voluntary compliance was in Australia.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:59 pm I am wondering what the rate of voluntary compliance was in Australia.
I heard that PVC pipes were scarce for a while there
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks

Paladin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:00 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:59 pm I am wondering what the rate of voluntary compliance was in Australia.
"rlol" "rlol"

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:52 pm
I wish I had your confidence in what your local PD "SAYS" to you. Law enforcement is not honorable when it comes to sacrificing their pensions or salaries. History has shone police will take their orders from their boss and execute. They don't see civilians as their bosses. I hope you are right and other PD's would refuse to do the same. I don't think most local PD's would do it because they don't have the manpower. The most likely thing I suspect would be a newly installed department of Federal law enforcement.
One comment from a local officer was (paraphrasing), "Once they make me take yours, then who will help defend me when they demand I turn in mine, because that's not happening."

Honestly... I think in some jurisdictions... NY, Chicago, (probably not LA County, IMO)... You'd see some officers going along with confiscation requests for a while... But I think it would go bad pretty fast ... I have an impossibly hard time imagining even Houston PD going along with confiscation.... Maybe Austin... Maybe.. :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:59 am
I don't share your optimism.

Based upon the recent FBI raids across the country on "enemies of the state" there's plenty of FBI/Federal agents willing to do whatever they are ordered to do.
My best estimate of local PD going door to door like this is that it will probably be a 60-40 split at first. The senior guys and a few of the younger guys will just say no, or lose paperwork, etc. The 40% that would do it are younger guys who will try once or twice but do not have the experience to plan a raid like that. It won't go well for them and very quickly they will stop.

On the FBI, I think it will be a 70-30 split, and in the opposite direction. I have a lot less faith in the FBI and think 70% would be willing to do this and maybe 30% would say hell no. But it will also be the opposite groups who do it, the senior experienced guys would be the ones willing while the newer guys would still be somewhat idealistic and want to protect the people's rights. But the older guys will have become acclimated to doing things like this and think nothing of it (ask Lon Horiuchi). And they will plan it better and be more prepared for the resistance. But I think there are a few of them who would be willing to but might hesitate because they expect armed fierce resistance (especially in Texas and rural areas). This is not because they worry about the citizen's but because the worry about their own body staying intact. If they get a few raids done with less resistance, they will expect less and then will be bolder. If they meet heavy resistance at first, more of them might consider backing off - but more will say they need more firepower and manpower. And it will be easy to convince the management to do that. And when they go in heavy, we will see another Waco or something similar. And I am afraid for our country that if that does happen, the resistance will escalate and go with the idea that the best defense is a good offense.

Trust me when I say that I truly believe that going door to door looking for guns, even just some guns, will trigger the rebellion we have been expecting.
Steve Rothstein

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

The problem is that if it is time to bury your guns, it is past time to dig them up and start using them.
Steve Rothstein

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

mayor wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:26 am I'm just wondering how something like this can be shutdown before the gov even thinks about confiscation. I'm not a fan of hiding and pretending like I don't have weapons. But I also don't want to be the first to stick my neck out. Organization would be better.
Let them come to me first then. I made up my mind a long time ago that this is one of my lines in the sand. I will not give up my guns and I will fight, even if I am alone. It is definitely part of how I was raised, with too many family members and friends who said "Never Again" and taught how little hope the people had in Germany after giving up their guns. And with a history of things like Masada and the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, I am well aware of my chances for survival.
Steve Rothstein

mayor

Post by mayor »

This made sense to me https://monsterhunternation.com/2018/11 ... uke-omaha/
serious lantuage -- i.e. foul

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 2

Post by wheelgun1958 »

srothstein wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:34 pm
mayor wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:26 am I'm just wondering how something like this can be shutdown before the gov even thinks about confiscation. I'm not a fan of hiding and pretending like I don't have weapons. But I also don't want to be the first to stick my neck out. Organization would be better.
Let them come to me first then. I made up my mind a long time ago that this is one of my lines in the sand. I will not give up my guns and I will fight, even if I am alone. It is definitely part of how I was raised, with too many family members and friends who said "Never Again" and taught how little hope the people had in Germany after giving up their guns. And with a history of things like Masada and the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, I am well aware of my chances for survival.
I will not ride in the boxcar.

:fire

Come get some.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

srothstein wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:29 pm
The problem is that if it is time to bury your guns, it is past time to dig them up and start using them.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

wheelgun1958 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:47 am
I will not ride in the boxcar.

:fire

Come get some.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Paladin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:35 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:48 pm
The precedent may have already been set. What ever happened with the widespread non-compliance to New York State's SAFE Act? https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2016/07/07/ ... -safe-act/
I hadn't seen that 4% compliance number before. That is interesting! :cheers2:
I believe that Connecticut had similar results after they started clamping down on gun rights post-Sandy Hook.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”