Can the government take your guns in an emergency?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

Can the government take your guns in an emergency?

Post by Grayling813 »

Professor Smith and the Four Boxes Diner talk about the relevant history and laws speaking to whether President Biden could use a potential international war in the Middle East to take away American's firearms.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can the government take your guns in an emergency?

Post by Tex1961 »

Here is a good reference article. Short answer, NO

https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/govern ... -disaster/

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Mel

Post by Mel »

You guys are talking about rules and laws.

Unfortunately our current government doesn't seem to be bothered about such trivial things.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Let's not forget about what happened in New Orleans with Hurricane Katrina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_ ... ct_of_2006

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Mel wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:50 am You guys are talking about rules and laws.

Unfortunately our current government doesn't seem to be bothered about such trivial things.
If he tries to get my guns, I am going to have a Viking funeral. I am sure I will lose in the long run, but there will be lots of bodies of my enemies to bury at my feet.

Because I also do not care about the law or rules when he doesn't.
Steve Rothstein

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

srothstein wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:49 pm

If he tries to get my guns, I am going to have a Viking funeral. I am sure I will lose in the long run, but there will be lots of bodies of my enemies to bury at my feet.

I’m certain you are not the only one.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:17 am Let's not forget about what happened in New Orleans with Hurricane Katrina.

Yes exactly. Can the government legally take your guns in an emergency? No.

Doesn’t mean they won’t try. What we have found, three years to get to the Supreme Court after an unconstitutional event.

Punishment for violating your constitutional rights. None. Maybe you get your legal fees.
Last edited by philip964 on Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

philip964 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:02 pm
Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:17 am Let's not forget about what happened in New Orleans with Hurricane Katrina.

Yes exactly. Can the government legally take your guns in an emergency? No.

Doesn’t mean they won’t try. What have found, three years to get to the Supreme Court after an unconstitutional event.

Punishment for violating your constitutional rights. None. Maybe you get your legal fees.
:iagree: :iagree: The Supreme Court said no to student loan forgiveness without legislative action and the executive branch has played like that ruling didn't happen. As long as the government believes it is about the law, there is no law. It comes down to force. If "they" have enough force, they will use it and the Second Amendment will mean nothing. I remember the reports where the police, in search of the Bostom Bomber, came into people's homes without search warrants. Exigent circumstances and all of that.

The underlying problem is that too many of our "representatives" believe that they were elected to be our rulers and this applies to all levels staring at the local town level. We are too stupid to manage our own affairs, especially in important matters like life or death. They will round up the guns for our own good.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Can the government take your guns in an emergency? ……

Well…I mean they can certainly try. OTH, if they do, the example of the mythical Trooper M. Padgett comes to mind. When you’ve lived long enough, and you’re assured of what lies beyond the veil, you get real philosophical about the value of extending your life at the cost of your liberties. "Live to fight another day" begins to lose its relevance.

#DoNotComply
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:05 am Can the government take your guns in an emergency? ……

Well…I mean they can certainly try. OTH, if they do, the example of the mythical Trooper M. Padgett comes to mind. When you’ve lived long enough, and you’re assured of what lies beyond the veil, you get real philosophical about the value of extending your life at the cost of your liberties. "Live to fight another day" begins to lose its relevance.

#DoNotComply
:iagree: Well said. Live Free or Die is a workable solution when you know your ultimate destination.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

1st they have to figure out who has what and where...which the ATF cant even find their own firearms.
2nd only a dummy would voluntarily turn them in if asked by the gov
3. gov does not even know who is actually crossing border
4. no, i agree with viking funeral if a few decide , my house must have firearms and they want them with no cause , other than a presidential proclamation, which has no teeth imo. President does not make or change laws. even though ATF thinks they are a law making body.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

mayor

Post by mayor »

Can J Brandon declare an emergency and demand that citizens turn their firearms over to the government?

Foolishly: Absolutely.
Legally: No.

Declaring something to be so and making that happen in reality are two entirely different scenarios.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

mayor wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:39 pm Can J Brandon declare an emergency and demand that citizens turn their firearms over to the government?

Foolishly: Absolutely.
Legally: No.

Declaring something to be so and making that happen in reality are two entirely different scenarios.
yup the implementation to actually take them is something that would not be very easy or fast..he could try it on chicago first :biggrinjester:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

srothstein wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:49 pm

:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”