CVS Pharmacy

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bdickens
Posts in topic: 4

CVS Pharmacy

Post by bdickens »

CVS Pharmacy parrots anti-gun propaganda on their website. Write to them and tell them that you are doing business elsewhere.

Contact information:

CVS Corporation
Corporate Headquarters
One CVS Drive
Woonsocket, RI 02895

A list of Corporate officers can be found here:
http://www.cvscaremark.com/our-company/leadership-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kids and Guns

By Chris Woolston
CONSUMER HEALTH INTERACTIVE

Below:
• What should I tell my child about guns?
• When is a child old enough to use a gun responsibly?

Guns are completely safe -- as long as they're unloaded, locked away, and never touched. But as soon as a bullet enters the chamber and a hand nears the trigger, guns become a serious hazard to children. In the United States 2,852 children and teenagers died of gunshot wounds in 2004, and more than four times that many suffered acute injuries -- many of them in the home.

Of course, the surest way to protect your child from guns is to keep them out of his life. The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly urges parents not to store guns at home. If you think you need a gun for protection, consider this: According to the AAP, a gun in the house is 43 times more likely to kill a friend or family member than an intruder. What's more, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, guns used in school-related homicides and student suicides most often come from the child's own home or from a friend or relative.

If you still want to have a gun, invest in a trigger lock. Also, keep your gun unloaded and locked away in a gun cabinet, a safe, or another secure place. (Find a different place to lock up the ammunition.) Don't simply hide the gun in a sock drawer or a dark corner of your closet. Kids have an amazing ability to sniff out hiding spots.

What should I tell my child about guns?

With an estimated 242 million firearms in the United States, gun safety can't stop at home. Your child needs to understand the dangers of guns and how to protect himself if he comes across one. As soon as possible, teach your child these important lessons:

•The bullets and the blood on TV shows may be fake, but guns can hurt and kill children in real life.
•Never touch a gun for any reason.
•A gun means it's time to go. If your child sees a gun at a neighbor's house or elsewhere, he should leave immediately and tell you or another adult about it. (It's not enough to tell your child never to touch a gun. If his friend is handling a gun, your child is in grave danger.)

When is a child old enough to use a gun responsibly?

Never, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. This is what the distinguished organization has to say about children and guns: Never allow your child access to your gun(s). No matter how much instruction you may give him or her, a youngster in the middle years is not mature and responsible enough to handle a potentially lethal weapon. Certainly the recent wave of school massacres give ample evidence of that.

If you still want your child to know how to hunt or shoot, wait until the teenage years to begin instruction. Your child may be intelligent and emotionally mature, and he may know the book on gun safety, but you simply can't trust him with a hunting rifle until he's at least 13 years old -- and not even then unless you are absolutely certain he is mature enough to be responsible. (Don't give your child a BB gun as a toy -- writer Alice Walker is among the many Americans who have lost an eye to a sibling's BB gun.) If you decide to let him use a gun, make it a rule that he must be accompanied by an adult.

-- Chris Woolston, M.S., is a health and medical writer with a master's degree in biology. He is a contributing editor at Consumer Health Interactive, and was the staff writer at Hippocrates, a magazine for physicians. He has covered science issues for Time Inc. Health and WebMD, and is the co-author of Generation Extra Large: Rescuing Our Children from the Epidemic of Obesity (Perseus Books, 2005).. His reporting on occupational health earned him an award from the northern California Society of Professional Journalists.

References

American Academy of Pediatrics, Guns and Children

State Medical Society of Wisconsin, Fatal Injuries in Adolescents

Source of Firearms Used by Students in School-Associated Violent Deaths - United States, 1992-1999. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Centers for Disease Control. WISQARS Fatal Injuries: Mortality Reports. November 2005. http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Centers for Disease Control. WISQARS Non Fatal Injuries: Non Fatal Injury Reports. http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/nfirates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Common Sense About Kids and Guns. CDC Data: Deaths and Injuries from Firearms. http://www.kidsandguns.org/study/cdcdata.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Common Sense About Kids and Guns. Fact File. http://www.kidsandguns.org/study/fact_file.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action. Guns, Gun Ownership, & RTC at All-Time Highs, Less
“Gun Control,” and Violent Crime at 30-year Low. http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets ... spx?ID=126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reviewed by Carrie Lynn Byington, M.D., an assistant professor of pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Our reviewers are members of Consumer Health Interactive's medical advisory board.
To learn more about our writers and editors, click here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First published October 11, 1999
Last updated February 28, 2008
Copyright © 1999 Consumer Health Interactive

Copyright © 2004 - 2008 CVS Caremark . All Rights Reserved.
Last edited by bdickens on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byron Dickens

Topic author
bdickens

Re: CVS Pharmacy

Post by bdickens »

Here is the letter I'm sending out today:
Thomas M. Ryan
Chairman of the Board
CVS Corporation
Corporate Headquarters
One CVS Drive
Woonsocket, RI 02895

Dear Mr. Ryan:

I was rather distressed to find your company's website parroting anti-gun propaganda under the guise of “child safety.”

Among the misinformation is the statement that “2,852 children and teenagers died of gunshot wounds in 2004.” If you bother to look at the actual tabulated data, you notice that 2,494 of those deaths occur between the ages of 15-19. In fact, 70% of the “children” who are killed by firearms each year are in fact gang members who die in gang-related violence. A 17-year-old or older gang member who already has a history of violent crime is hardly a “child!”

Another falsehood your website promulgates is the infamous fiction from the American Academy of Pediatrics that “...a gun in the house is 43 times more likely to kill a friend or family member than an intruder.” That number came from a study by Arthur L. Kellerman in which he cherry-picked data in order to reach a preconceived conclusion. Kellerman's data included criminals shooting other criminals and failed to take into account the estimated 1.5-2.5 million times per year that firearms are used, most often without even firing a shot, to prevent crime. In fact, Kellerman's deeply flawed study has been so thoroughly debunked that he has been forced to retract it – yet anti-gun bigots continue to use his fiction to promote their anti-liberty, anti-personal responsibility and anti-Constitution agenda.

The propaganda given out on your website disguised as “child safety” is quite frankly disgusting. I don't go to the NRA for medical advice and I sure don't go to the American Academy of Pediatrics for firearms advice and neither should you. It would be far more helpful to use information from the NRA's Eddie Eagle program. If you contacted them, I am certain they would be more than glad to help disseminate real firearms safety information.

As long as CVS Pharmacy parrots anti-gun propaganda, I will take my business elsewhere. Please find enclosed my and my families' ExtraCare cards. We won't be needing them any more because we will be spending our money at Walgreens and encouraging everyone we know to do likewise.
Byron Dickens

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

"At least 13 years old"? I killed my first deer at 7 and my 7 year old grand daughter has been shooting a 22 for 2 years with adult supervision (Iknow Steve-d, what constitutes an adult)
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

ELB

Post by ELB »

bdickens wrote:Here is the letter I'm sending out today:

Excellent letter. Bravo.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I was unaware of their position. However, their local store is not 30.06 posted, so I never gave it a thought. In any case, I'm moving all my prescriptions to Walmart next month anyway because it will be a lot less money there each month.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Never, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. This is what the distinguished organization has to say about children and guns: Never allow your child access to your gun(s). No matter how much instruction you may give him or her, a youngster in the middle years is not mature and responsible enough to handle a potentially lethal weapon. Certainly the recent wave of school massacres give ample evidence of that.
What the heck... :mad5

My son recites Coopers 4 rules of gun safety in his sleep and he's only 12.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

iratollah

Post by iratollah »

Thanks Byron for alerting us to this. The author of the article, Mr. Chris Woolston, is a freelance science/medical journalist who writes The Healthy Skeptic, a biweekly column for the Los Angeles Times. I decided to write him directly and I used some of your wording, I'm sure you don't mind because it appears that you used some of what I published here previously: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... &sk=t&sd=a
Hey, working together we're stronger. Great minds think alike.

I suggest that if any of you choose to write Mr. Woolston, it is imperative that you remain respectful and avoid name calling or inflammatory language as this will render your message ineffective. Mr. Woolston gets paid to publish, it's never a good idea to get on the wrong side of someone who buys ink by the barrel. He should not have call nor reason to publish anything insulting or demeaning that he received from us 'gun nuts'.

He lives in Billings, MT with his wife and children you may write to him: woolstons4@bresnan.net
Remember, please be nice and do not write to him anonymously. I included my phone number and address in my letter to him.

Mr. Woolston's employer who paid him for this article, is:
Consumer Health Interactive
A CVS Caremark Company
436 14th Street, Suite 1500
Oakland, CA 94612
510-873-8440

(Note to admin, I only made the personal contact information available because the individual has put himself in the public eye and his contact info is available as part of his credentials.)

The original article was reviewed by a Professor of Pediatrics at Utah School of Medicine, I copied Dr. Byington on my email to Mr. Woolston:
Professor CARRIE L BYINGTON,
carrie.byington@hsc.utah.edu

Not publishing my entire letter here, unless y'all want, because it's a blend of what I wrote before (see link above) and bdickens letter. I am offering the first paragraph as a template:

As a father of three, I read with interest your article on Kids and Guns published on the CVS website. Having read some of your other articles, I was disappointed to see an author with your impressive credentials and research skills promogulate such a preponderance of misinformation. The means delineated for insuring safety were so rigid it made me wonder if you had an underlying agenda.

And I concluded with: Children learning gun safety at a young age are less likely to become victims or for that matter, perpetrators.
Last edited by iratollah on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

Never, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. ....No matter how much instruction you may give him or her, a youngster in the middle years is not mature and responsible enough to handle a potentially lethal weapon.....

So.... take away the baseball bat (and ball for that matter), steak knife, car, bicycle, swimming pool, anything electrical, most household cleaners, lawn equipment. What have I forgotten? Oh yeah, educate your kids on all the above and let them use them appropriately and appropriately supervised. Including firearms.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

If we want emails or letters read by corporate management, they'll have to be much more concise...

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Whoops - I should've posted: Read by anyone who doesn't know us.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

18, I think for some...

For others, it varies... :thumbs2:

"How can you be a kid at heart, if you have no heart?" -- Stevie-D
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Weg

Post by Weg »

Wonder why they don't post their stores if that is what they believe? I've yet to see a CVS thats posted.

subsonic

Post by subsonic »

Weg wrote:Wonder why they don't post their stores if that is what they believe? I've yet to see a CVS thats posted.
Same here. I was in Pennsylvania for several weeks earlier this year and shopped at CVS at least once a week. No signs.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

Topic author
bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Looks like that page has come down.

http://www.cvshealthresources.com/topic/kidsguns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byron Dickens

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

I just now saw this. Since the two CVS stores by me have a Walgreens directly accross the street from them :confused5 that's an easy decison.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”