anti-CHL editorial Austin Statesman 1-26-10

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 5

anti-CHL editorial Austin Statesman 1-26-10

Post by A-R »

This one is sure to anger some of you as it does me :mad5

While advocating for metal detectors at the state Capitol building, the Statesman's editorial board just couldn't resist the opportunity to take a few swipes at CHLees. They turned Gov. Perry's ill-advised statements into a caricature of all CHLees as clumsy ill-trained wanna-be cops.

Read for yourself. I'll be working on my next letter to the editor soon. :read:
Austin Statesman editorial board 1-26-10 wrote:Under current law, it is legal for somebody with a concealed handgun license to enter the Capitol with a weapon. That's the first thing that should change, even though lawmakers who carry weapons have opposed the change.
Austin Statesman editorial board 1-26-10 wrote:Without getting into an argument about the relative merits of the state's concealed handgun law, let's just say we're not comfortable with Perry's reliance on pistol-packing citizens to protect us from harm. Undoubtedly, there are instances in which a cool-headed citizen with a gun can prevent criminal harm.

But, and we're guessing many law enforcement officials might agree with us on this, that's no way to handle public safety. It's a task best left to professionals, because amateurs with guns — well-trained and well-intentioned though they may be — often act like amateurs with guns.
http://www.statesman.com/opinion/it-s-t ... 95197.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Austin Statesman editorial board 1-26-10 wrote:It's time for metal detectors at the Texas Capitol
Austin American Statesman
EDITORIAL BOARD
Updated: 8:54 p.m. Monday, Jan. 25, 2010
Published: 6:36 p.m. Monday, Jan. 25, 2010

It's time for a painful realization, one we fear is painfully overdue.

It's time to acknowledge the dangerous world in which we live, complete with the dangerous combination of too many guns in the hands of too many people who perceive too many motives to inflict harm on others.

It's time, sad to say, to require visitors to the Texas Capitol to pass through metal detectors. It became clear last Thursday when a man let loose with at least five gunshots after he exited the Capitol after a peculiar encounter with staffers in Houston Sen. Dan Patrick's office.

Fausto Cardenas is jailed on third-degree felony charges stemming from the unsettling incident in which nobody was hurt.

"Today, we got a warning shot — literally," Patrick, R-Houston, and a champion of gun owners' rights, said on the day of the shooting. "This could have been a tragedy."

For a long time, one of the best things about Austin has been the ability to walk into the Capitol and wander around in a relatively relaxed atmosphere in which the Department of Public Safety did as good a job as it could of non-invasive security. But the truth is there has been nothing to stop an armed nut — or a constituent with a grievance — from walking in and opening fire.

Under current law, it is legal for somebody with a concealed handgun license to enter the Capitol with a weapon. That's the first thing that should change, even though lawmakers who carry weapons have opposed the change.

Rep. Eddie Rodriguez, D-Austin, says he is considering legislation to ban guns from the Capitol. We urge him to move aggressively toward legislation accomplishing that. Weapons have no place in the building, just as they have no place in schools and courthouses.

But that change is just a first step. Criminals, by definition, have little respect for law. And that's why it's time for metal detectors at the Capitol. It's cumbersome and it's an inconvenience, but it's necessary, despite what Gov. Rick Perry thinks.

"I'm always looking at new ways to protect our citizens, but the last thing I want is the Texas Capitol to turn into DFW Airport," Perry said a day after the shootings.

Coincidentally, or not, Perry's comments came as he accepted the endorsement of the Texas State Rifle Association and the National Rifle Association.

Particularly distressing was Perry's theory on why metal detectors are not needed: "In Texas, criminals have to think twice before they draw a gun because there's a good chance they're going to be outnumbered. The fact of the matter is that keeps us all safer," he said.

Perry seems to take great solace in his belief that the state's concealed handgun law is a crime deterrent because criminals realize there is "a good chance that they're gong to be outdrawn" by law-abiding citizens with pistols.

It can be sad when a state lives up (down?) to its stereotype.

On this one, we're going to go with the ounce of prevention theory, fully realizing that many might see metal detectors as a good bit heavier than an ounce.

We don't want to place metal detectors at Capitol entrances. But we feel we have to. We owe it to ourselves and, especially, to the state employees who work for us in the Capitol.

Without getting into an argument about the relative merits of the state's concealed handgun law, let's just say we're not comfortable with Perry's reliance on pistol-packing citizens to protect us from harm. Undoubtedly, there are instances in which a cool-headed citizen with a gun can prevent criminal harm.

But, and we're guessing many law enforcement officials might agree with us on this, that's no way to handle public safety. It's a task best left to professionals, because amateurs with guns — well-trained and well-intentioned though they may be — often act like amateurs with guns.

We're not happy about it and wish it didn't have to be this way, but it is time — past time — for visitors to the Capitol to endure the inconvenience of passing through metal detectors as they enter the building.

chamberc
Posts in topic: 1

Re: anti-CHL editorial Austin Statesman 1-26-10

Post by chamberc »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
God Bliss America.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Typical pablum-puking liberal media writer. :grumble
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

the Austin UN-American Statesman is Anti Gun ,Anti Police, and anti Republican. I have never read it other then if someone posts a commit or article .

I think we should just flood them with Commits and see what happens.
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

STI Shooter

Post by STI Shooter »

When the bad guy shoots their way past the metal detectors, who's going to protect all those visitors and employees. The DPS officers assigned to the capital STILL can't be everywhere in the capital at the same time. It is every persons right to be able to defend themselves if needed. Why is that concept so hard for some people to understand? :banghead:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

STI Shooter wrote:When the bad guy shoots their way past the metal detectors, who's going to protect all those visitors and employees. The DPS officers assigned to the capital STILL can't be everywhere in the capital at the same time. It is every persons right to be able to defend themselves if needed. Why is that concept so hard for some people to understand? :banghead:
Why??
Because the liberal anti-gun, big brother know it alls really believe they know more about how to take care of us lettle chirdren than we do ourselves. They are degreed way beyound their real intellagence.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

It's another proposal for a gun free zone so any killer
can execute his victims at will.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

davidtx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by davidtx »

STI Shooter wrote:When the bad guy shoots their way past the metal detectors, who's going to protect all those visitors and employees. The DPS officers assigned to the capital STILL can't be everywhere in the capital at the same time. It is every persons right to be able to defend themselves if needed. Why is that concept so hard for some people to understand? :banghead:
I think they have a hard time accepting that our possession of a weapon can protect them. I think positioning CHL's as an individual taking the legal steps that allow him/her to defend themselves and their family is much stronger/clearer than positioning CHL's as a general deterrent to crime. Note that the article never talks about individual defense, only armed citizens acting as a proxy for professionals.

-davidtx

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

Would they have any grounds to refuse entry to a CHL holder who was armed?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

I have no problem with them installing metal detectors. Think it is a good idea as long as CHL's get to bypass them. :cool:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Can't we just close the capital to politicians? i mean, you keep the real riff raff out: murderers, cattle thieves, politicians... :txflag:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

So let us say, metal detectors and CHLer are allowed in. Does it work for this idiot?

He is really stupid, if someone pulled a gun and placed it 1" from his front head, can he wait for the professionals to rescue his sorry idiot head?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
:mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5

:txflag:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

3dfxMM wrote:Would they have any grounds to refuse entry to a CHL holder who was armed?
Currently, no. This nut job wants to change that. It might be worth pointing out to him that the guy shot up the outside of the building. He could have done that with all the metal detectors in the world at every entrance. It also might be worth mentioning that I don't necessarily have my CHL to protect him. It is primarily to protect me and my family. His protection is primarily up to him even though he thinks it is law enforcement's job.

On a side note, I'm not trying to funny or inflammatory , but are police really considered professionals when it comes to the handling of weapons? As the author stated, many non-LE personnel can be well trained. Police are people to and often make mistakes. Wasn't there a thread somewhere around here that discussed the average number of shots fired in a confrontation by the police versus the average citizen and the citizen's number was lower?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”