National Park Carry

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bob Landry
Posts in topic: 1

National Park Carry

Post by Bob Landry »

This was supposed to go into effect Feb 9, but I havn't seen anything about it, not that the drive-by media would mention it. Does anyone know if it went into effect or did Obummer and his thugs make it quietly go away?
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: National Park Carry

Post by seamusTX »

February 22: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Feder ... px?id=5370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RPB »

Yes, Feb 22nd .... it's tied to when the credit card regulations go into effect, which is February 22, 2010.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

texas1234
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texas1234 »

Yes its FEB 22. Why do I know its FEB 22? Because I leave BIG BEND after five straight days on the 21st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad5
6th Generation Texan

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Text of Amendment:
(7) Congress needs to weigh in on the new regulations to ensure that unelected bureaucrats and judges cannot again override the

[Page: S5384] GPO's PDFSecond Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens on 83,600,000 acres of National Park System land and 90,790,000 acres of land under the jurisdiction of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.
(8) The Federal laws should make it clear that the second amendment rights of an individual at a unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System should not be infringed.

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals to Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System.--The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

SA 1068. Mr. COBURN proposed an amendment to the bill H.R. 627, to amend the Truth in Lending Act to establish fair and transparent practices relating to the extension of credit under an open end consumer credit plan, and for other purposes; as follows:

At the appropriate place in the bill, insert the following:

SEC. __. PROTECTING AMERICANS FROM VIOLENT CRIME.

(a) Congressional Findings.--Congress finds the following:

(1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution provides that ``the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed''.

(2) Section 2.4(a)(1) of title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that ``except as otherwise provided in this section and parts 7 (special regulations) and 13 (Alaska regulations), the following are prohibited: (i) Possessing a weapon, trap or net (ii) Carrying a weapon, trap or net (iii) Using a weapon, trap or net''.

(3) Section 27.42 of title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that, except in special circumstances, citizens of the United States may not ``possess, use, or transport firearms on national wildlife refuges'' of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

(4) The regulations described in paragraphs (2) and (3) prevent individuals complying with Federal and State laws from exercising the second amendment rights of the individuals while at units of--

(A) the National Park System; and

(B) the National Wildlife Refuge System.

(5) The existence of different laws relating to the transportation and possession of firearms at different units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System entrapped law-abiding gun owners while at units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System.

(6) Although the Bush administration issued new regulations relating to the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens in units of the National Park System and National Wildlife Refuge System that went into effect on January 9, 2009--

(A) on March 19, 2009, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia granted a preliminary injunction with respect to the implementation and enforcement of the new regulations; and

(B) the new regulations--

(i) are under review by the administration; and

(ii) may be altered.

(7) Congress needs to weigh in on the new regulations to ensure that unelected bureaucrats and judges cannot again override the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens on 83,600,000 acres of National Park System land and 90,790,000 acres of land under the jurisdiction of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

(8) The Federal laws should make it clear that the second amendment rights of an individual at a unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System should not be infringed.

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear Arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System.--The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

15 TX sites under NPS:

http://www.nps.gov/state/TX/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TX Wildlife Refuges:

http://www.fws.gov/Refuges/profiles/ByS ... m?state=TX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

roberts
Banned

Post by roberts »

:thewave

Now get the rule expanded to COE lakes!
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

roberts wrote::thewave

Now get the rule expanded to COE lakes!
:iagree: AMEN ... There are quite a few COE lakes around here with fish in them I want to go to, but don't ... I want to go to some of the COE lakes that aren't State Parks, instead of ONLY State Park lakes leased from the COE
I'm no lawyer

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

texas1234 wrote:Yes its FEB 22. Why do I know its FEB 22? Because I leave BIG BEND after five straight days on the 21st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad5
Oh, man - I feel your pain.

Funny, I've always thought that Big Bend was a state park.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

RHENRIKSEN wrote:
texas1234 wrote:Yes its FEB 22. Why do I know its FEB 22? Because I leave BIG BEND after five straight days on the 21st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad5
Oh, man - I feel your pain.

Funny, I've always thought that Big Bend was a state park.
Big Bend Ranch State Park is located adjacent to Big Bend National Park
You may be thinking of Big Bend Ranch State Park
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/find ... end_ranch/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bend_R ... rk_(Texas)

instead of Big Bend National Park
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bend_National_Park

They are essentially next door neighbors.
I'm no lawyer

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

I read there were 3,760 major crimes (ranging from murder to rape) in national parks in 2008, and that was down from the prior years back to 1995. 1,250 rangers to patrol 85 million acres of parks, mostly remote and wooded. Yet, mainstream press is saying allowing us to carry is going to increase crime in the parks??
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

cbr600 wrote:I have it on good authority from a NPS LEO that we (the good guys) need our guns in National Parks.
If you've noticed, NPS Rangers aren't armed...either.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Oldgringo wrote:
cbr600 wrote:I have it on good authority from a NPS LEO that we (the good guys) need our guns in National Parks.
If you've noticed, NPS Rangers aren't armed...either.
Why do you think they want us to be armed? Someone has to protect them!! :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jungle Work

Post by Jungle Work »

I spent almost 20 years as a LEO in the US National Park Service and 14 years as a Chief of Police.
If you can do so legally, only a Fool would go into a National Park without a firearm, especially National Sea Shores or National Recreation Areas.
I have worked Murders, Rapes, Assaults, Robberies, etc. in our beloved National Parks.
Safe is as safe does. If you can legally carry a concealed handgun, do by all means.

Jungle Work
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”