TSRA support of Texas Open Carry

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Conagher
Posts in topic: 9

TSRA support of Texas Open Carry

Post by Conagher »

Hello Everyone.

Hopefully everybody has had an opportunity to review and consider the SA-TX post OK passes open carry & TSRA planning for Texas '11 session http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=34325. The discussions provided a lot of insight on the Texas Open Carry topic.

I am personally convinced that it is imperative that TSRA manage the Texas Open Carry effort to ensure coherency with the parking lot and campus carry effort as well as the administration of priority, consistency, and the legislative politics for all Texas 2A legislation. I am deeply concerned that if Open Carry is ignored by TSRA then not only do we run the risk of OC being painted in a negative light, but soured 2A sentiments could also negatively impact both the parking lot and campus carry effort.

As such, I would like to make a plea; if you are a member of TSRA (if not, please consider joining http://www.tsra.com) please send the following message to Alice Tripp, TSRA Legislative Director, at email address AGTripp@aol.com.

"I am a TSRA member and I request that TSRA support open-carry in the 2011 legislative session."

This is all that is required. The TSRA staff will manage it from there.

If you could be so kind as to respond after you have send your message, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks and Have a Nice Day!

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 8

Re: TSRA support of Texas Open Carry

Post by Purplehood »

Conagher wrote:Hello Everyone.

Hopefully everybody has had an opportunity to review and consider the SA-TX post OK passes open carry & TSRA planning for Texas '11 session http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=34325. The discussions provided a lot of insight on the Texas Open Carry topic.

I am personally convinced that it is imperative that TSRA manage the Texas Open Carry effort to ensure coherency with the parking lot and campus carry effort as well as the administration of priority, consistency, and the legislative politics for all Texas 2A legislation. I am deeply concerned that if Open Carry is ignored by TSRA then not only do we run the risk of OC being painted in a negative light, but soured 2A sentiments could also negatively impact both the parking lot and campus carry effort.

As such, I would like to make a plea; if you are a member of TSRA (if not, please consider joining http://www.tsra.com) please send the following message to Alice Tripp, TSRA Legislative Director, at email address AGTripp@aol.com.

"I am a TSRA member and I request that TSRA support open-carry in the 2011 legislative session."

If you could be so kind as to respond after you have send your message, it would be most appreciated.

As a TSRA member I don't want to add extra ingredients into the Kool-Aid at this point. I would prefer to see Parking Lot and Campus Carry passed first before taking the next step.
It is my opinion that if we go the "all or nothing" route, all we will get is nothing.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

Purplehood wrote: As a TSRA member I don't want to add extra ingredients into the Kool-Aid at this point. I would prefer to see Parking Lot and Campus Carry passed first before taking the next step.
It is my opinion that if we go the "all or nothing" route, all we will get is nothing.
I share Purplehood's sentiment. :iagree: I believe that we should approach the OC issue in increments, starting with the passage of the Parking Lot & Campus Carry bills first, as those 2 bills will have an immediate and beneficial impact on the safety and security of all CHL holders.

IMO taking on to many 2A related issues at one legislative will be counterproductive to our goals. (Just one TSRA member's opinion)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

I would prefer to send them the email stating:

"I am a TSRA member and I request that TSRA review and evaluate the introduction of an open-carry bill for the 2011 legislative session."

This will show the volume of support for a look at OC. The TSRA legislative team is very savvy and will know the right time to introduce any legislation. If the ingredients are not added to the cake in the right order and at the right time, then you just end up with a big pile of glop.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

:iagree: OC is very low on my list for 2011.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Even though my well known support of having the "option" to carry openly, I have learned from some very smart people here that there could be negative consequences if the OC issue is carried through legislatively...

It would require too many sacrifices of the existing Texas CHL law that I do not believe many would want to sacrifice, just to go heal, and have everybody know it...

As a TSRA member, I support the realistic efforts of individuals, groups, legislators who work tirelessly to promote and defend our unalienable right to keep and bear arms...

But the law of the land sometimes gets in the way of a great many freedoms we should have and exercise...But thems the breaks, and a lot of smart people are working to trim the fat off of infringements all the time...Patience grasshopper...It will all come in due time...

In the meantime carry per the provisions in the law of this state and you'll be just fine...

Lets make sure we get a clear majority of conservatives, and those that believe as we do on these issues in Austin this next go around, and see what happens this next year...

We have an insider in the TSRA that is very active in this forum, and sees our daily ruminations...I'm sure this is an issue that does not venture far from their thoughts...

But we will have to do it right, and do it to win...Not hack off people (who are on our side) in the process, like last time...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
Conagher

Post by Conagher »

Purplehood wrote:
Conagher wrote:Hello Everyone.

As a TSRA member I don't want to add extra ingredients into the Kool-Aid at this point. I would prefer to see Parking Lot and Campus Carry passed first before taking the next step.
Thanks for the reply Purplehood. Certainly you are entitled to you opinion, and I respect that. However, I do find it difficult to understand your logic. I would like to ask a few questions for clarification if you do not mind. Do you believe the Open Carry ingredient is not currently in the legislative arena Kool-Aid? Or do you believe if TSRA chooses not to use this ingredient it will suddenly disappear? From my perspective it is not about “add extra ingredients”, that horse has already left the barn. This issue before us is who will be the Cook whom manages how this ingredient is used.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

IMHO, it is really all about just how much Kool-Aid that our legislators and the electorate are willing to swallow at one time, especially when it is a new flavor.
I believe that if they swig the whole package at once, it gets spewed out. If they try one or two flavors at a time, they might sip and learn to enjoy.
Since OC is my least favorite flavor, I prefer the others get served up first. Your priorities may or may not be different.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

LarryH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LarryH »

Keith B wrote:I would prefer to send them the email stating:

"I am a TSRA member and I request that TSRA review and evaluate the introduction of an open-carry bill for the 2011 legislative session."
:iagree: , for the reasons Keith B stated.

Topic author
Conagher

Post by Conagher »

Keith B wrote:I would prefer to send them the email stating:

This will show the volume of support for a look at OC. The TSRA legislative team is very savvy and will know the right time to introduce any legislation. If the ingredients are not added to the cake in the right order and at the right time, then you just end up with a big pile of glop.
Hello Keith B.

I have no concern with your new wording. I was just using the wording that was recommended to me by Charles last year.

I agree with your cooking analogy. “Too many cooks ruin the stew” – that is why we need TSRA as the only cook administering this ingredient.

Topic author
Conagher

Post by Conagher »

Purplehood wrote:IMHO, it is really all about just how much Kool-Aid that our legislators and the electorate are willing to swallow at one time, especially when it is a new flavor.
I believe that if they swig the whole package at once, it gets spewed out. If they try one or two flavors at a time, they might sip and learn to enjoy.
Since OC is my least favorite flavor, I prefer the others get served up first. Your priorities may or may not be different.
Thanks Purplehood. I think I understand your preference and priorities, and I do not necessarily disagree with your priorities. However, I still believe you are making an invalid assumption that the Open Carry Kool-Aid will not be served to our legislators and the electorate without TSRA involvement. This was not true last session, and it will not be true this session. My belief is the only way this ingredient can be effectively administered is for TSRA to become the cook.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Conagher wrote:
Purplehood wrote:IMHO, it is really all about just how much Kool-Aid that our legislators and the electorate are willing to swallow at one time, especially when it is a new flavor.
Thanks Purplehood. I think I understand your preference and priorities, and I do not necessarily disagree with your priorities. However, I still believe you are making an invalid assumption that the Open Carry Kool-Aid will not be served to our legislators and the electorate without TSRA involvement. This was not true last session, and it will not be true this session. My belief is the only way this ingredient can be effectively administered is for TSRA to become the cook.

Oh, I am making no allusions as to what the TSRA will or will not do. Sorry if you thought that was what I am saying.
My point is that I think they should leave it alone until the first two flavors get served up and swallowed. (Gawd I love this Kool-Aid analogy)
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Here's my opinion. A well written bill will not permit any additional regulation on concealed carry (Could even improve it), will not tie OC to 30.06. Preferably it will not even touch on prohibition beyond reasonable notification and will allow gun busters and the ilk to prohibit open carry at will while retaining the requirement that 30.06 be used to ban concealed carry only.

The bill that was proposed for the 2009 session was an effort to get OC by restricting CC. Ideally I would like to see constitutional carry Along the lines of Alaska and Arizona (When it goes into effect) where there is no requirement for a license period, but retaining the CHL for people who wish to carry into more "restricted" locations and/or out of state. Based on what I observed the guys who were pushing OC last session have a long term goal of Vermont style carry (no license/permit required, none offered) and saw trading "short term" losses regarding CC in exchange for OC as acceptable. To me, I believe it also applies to most Texans and the TSRA, this is unacceptable as we want to gain, gain, gain and not give up any more ground. We have given up, or lost, ground since reconstruction and now is the time to take back what the carpet baggers, KKK, and their racist ilk have stolen back from us. I will take any gains we can get that do not come with too high of a price tag, but I also want to see our political capital be spent wisely getting legislation that we can get instead of wasting it on something that manner politicians are afraid of touching because of certain parties last session.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Grog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grog »

I would just like to open carry on my own property without the cops being called (which is what seems would happen from what I have read in this forum).

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Conagher wrote:However, I still believe you are making an invalid assumption that the Open Carry Kool-Aid will not be served to our legislators and the electorate without TSRA involvement. This was not true last session, and it will not be true this session.
I think you're right. It'll be the same group that alienated every staff member and Representative in the Capitol and managed to taint the entire issue. I'm equally sure they will again blast TSRA and claim that we oppose OC equating TSRA's lack of involvement as opposition.

As I've said many many times, TSRA responds to the wishes of our members and they have not indicated they want TSRA to promote open-carry. The only time the subject was broached was during the 2009 TSRA Annual Meetings when Howard Nimrov informally talked with several members to get their opinions. They seem to be fairly evenly split on supporting and opposing OC. With 40,000 members, a relative handful of new members joining to demand OC isn't going to represent the will of the majority of TSRA members. Plus, as I've said several times, we work on a 2 year cycle that begins 30 days after a legislative session ends.

So it's fine to talk about OC and whether or not TSRA's involvement is beneficial or necessary, but the reality is that we respond to the needs and wishes of our members.

Texas OC proponents needs a Texas-based, Texas-run organization run by someone who knows what they are doing to promote OC. I said this last year and apparently no such organization was established.
Chas.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”