New gun shop draws fire

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Stephen A. Camp
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New gun shop draws fire

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. As far as I am concerned, this is just another example of the HOA "Half-Penny Hitler" mentality and why I consider HOA's beneath contempt. Before their apologists say, "Well, don't buy a house in one if you feel that way," let me say that I never will again, but I didn't even know that there was a damned HOA in existence until closing and I had asked! (I am in the process of trying to move from the area now and you can bet your life I've checked and made it clear with various realtors that any HOA, POA, etc is a deal breaker of the first order and that under no circumstances will I pay a dime for a house or land under the control of any such organization.)

Evidently in this instance, the area is zoned for commercial use and the gun store is going to harm no one. It is probably more stringently monitored than any other legal business in the area. I hope that the gun shop thrives and does well. I suspect that the gun store owner's books will withstand harsher scrutiny than will some HOA's management companies' financial records.

Sorry for the rant, but I do not have the (non-profane) words to describe my absolute and total loathing of HOA's.

I hope that the gun store prospers.

Best.

Tregs
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tregs »

I hope it prospers too. I dropped by on my way home from the office. They have a nice selection of handguns, a few rifles, shotguns, a handful of ARs, and several shelves of ammo. Nice guys running the place and they're open 9am-9pm. I bought a box of ammo. I told them as I was checking out, "I don't really need any ammo, but I'm glad you're here and I want to buy something to support you."

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baldeagle »

mgood wrote:Even though I did live in Garland, Dallas, and Irving for about 9 years all together, I guess I'm just naive from growing up and living most of my life in more rural areas. I'm usually a little amused by all the people on this forum so bent on keeping their guns and CHL status a secret.
It's just mind-blowing to me that a community in Texas would have any kind of organized resistance to the opening of a gun store. :shock:
I was born and raised in the Washington, D.C. area, except for a short stay in the Boston area. I've lived in small and medium sized towns, and I've been in the Dallas area for 28 years now. If you're naive, then so am I, because it blows my mind that in Texas people would think like that. I guess it's all those dern yankees movin' in. :biggrinjester: (Hey, I have one daughter who's a native Texan.)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
SlickTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SlickTX »

Stephen A. Camp wrote:Hello. As far as I am concerned, this is just another example of the HOA "Half-Penny Hitler" mentality and why I consider HOA's beneath contempt. Before their apologists say, "Well, don't buy a house in one if you feel that way," let me say that I never will again, but I didn't even know that there was a damned HOA in existence until closing and I had asked! (I am in the process of trying to move from the area now and you can bet your life I've checked and made it clear with various realtors that any HOA, POA, etc is a deal breaker of the first order and that under no circumstances will I pay a dime for a house or land under the control of any such organization.)

Evidently in this instance, the area is zoned for commercial use and the gun store is going to harm no one. It is probably more stringently monitored than any other legal business in the area. I hope that the gun shop thrives and does well. I suspect that the gun store owner's books will withstand harsher scrutiny than will some HOA's management companies' financial records.

Sorry for the rant, but I do not have the (non-profane) words to describe my absolute and total loathing of HOA's.

I hope that the gun store prospers.

Best.
Half-penny Hitler. I love that description. :lol: :lol:

Do you mind if I use it sometime?

One I like to use for the head-in-the-clouds type is "they think they eat butterflies and [defecate] rainbows".
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. Use it all you like.

Best to you and yours.

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Crossfire wrote:
mgood wrote:It's just mind-blowing to me that a community in Texas would have any kind of organized resistance to the opening of a gun store. :shock:
No kidding! You would think it would be reason for a celebration!
It was here in McKinney when Cheaper Than Dirt opened. :woohoo
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

ELB

Post by ELB »

Glock is having similar troubles with its expansion in Smyrna. They built on land 20+ years ago out in the sticks that was (and still is) zoned industrial. They bought enough land to allow for expansion. Somebody built a subdivision right next to it, and people bought the houses. Now Glock wants to expand on their own land, add some manufacturing, move the gun range, etc. To do it the way they want to, they need some variances related to water runoff (due to land use ordinances enacted in 2005, well after Glock was in place), and have planned this out, will fund a school crossing guard during the construction phase, etc.

Horrors! Manufacturing Guns! Children! Environment! Lead! What if they start building assault rifles!? What about our homes!? (you know, the ones that we built in an industrial zone next to a handgun manufacturing plant - -but hey, we got a good price!)

And most interesting -- at one point an HOA offered to back off their opposition if Glock would build them a park or playground and fork over $150,000 to the HOA "in case of damages."

Glock said no.

So far they are winning -- the Smyrna council voted unanimously to OK their plans.
USAF 1982-2005

Ashlar

Post by Ashlar »

Went in there Saturday, walked out with an XDM in 45acp. $50 cheaper than my normal guy. Really tiny shop, not a lot of stock yet, but they seem to be great guys.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”