Open Carry Observations

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Open Carry Observations

Post by Oldgringo »

We are now in Maggie Valley, NC and have drug Main at least three times, gone to the Super Duper Wal-Mart in Waynesville, ate lunch at Hardees, etc., etc.

In all of this time, I have observed exactly nobody wearing a gun in a state where OC is OK. The state ABC store; however, did have a gunbuster store at the entrance and that is all the legal notice that is required in NC.

BTW:

Fisher Ridge, Maggie Valley, North Carolina (PWS)
Updated: 3:57 PM EDT on September 28, 2010
68.5 °F
Scattered Clouds

Tomorrow, we'll arrive in rural SW Virginia and expect to be there for a month. It will be interesting to see how many folk we see in that "Gold Star" OC state with a handgun on their hip.

Prior to Maggie Valley, we were in the B'ham, AL area for a week. While there are a lot of people in the B'ham area none were in an OC mode that we saw - and we saw a lot :eek6 of people. From what we've seen in the western states and what we're now seeing in the east, OC just ain't done even where it's legal.

Kythas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Open Carry Observations

Post by Kythas »

I go to Virginia quite often for work. Was there all of last week, in fact.

In my many travels to Virginia I have seen exactly zero people open carrying. I even asked my customer about it. He's lived in Virginia most of his adult life and he said he can't remember ever seeing anyone openly carry a firearm except for police or someone heading out to hunt.

I'll bet if OC passed in Texas, we'd see a flurry of people doing it just because it would be new and shiny, but after a while it would be as rare as a good idea in Congress.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Kythas wrote:I go to Virginia quite often for work. Was there all of last week, in fact.

In my many travels to Virginia I have seen exactly zero people open carrying. I even asked my customer about it. He's lived in Virginia most of his adult life and he said he can't remember ever seeing anyone openly carry a firearm except for police or someone heading out to hunt.

I'll bet if OC passed in Texas, we'd see a flurry of people doing it just because it would be new and shiny, but after a while it would be as rare as a good idea in Congress.
I 'spect you're right. It would be kinda' like pickin' your nose in public OR blowin' your nose or puttin' on lipstick at the dinner table; it's legal, but it just ain't cool.

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

cbr600 wrote:I lived in North Carolina for several years, and I saw many people carry. On the other hand, people walking around in Condition White miss a lot of things.
You're right. We went to a gun show in Charlotte circa 1992-1993. There were alot of OC people there. Did you ever see the movie, "DELIVERANCE"?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:
cbr600 wrote:I lived in North Carolina for several years, and I saw many people carry. On the other hand, people walking around in Condition White miss a lot of things.
You're right. We went to a gun show in Charlotte circa 1992-1993. There were alot of OC people there. Did you ever see the movie, "DELIVERANCE"?
I would think that many people would open-carry at a gun show in a state where it was legal. Carrying on the street in the city is a different story. The setting of Deliverance wasn't exactly a city on Main Street.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
I would think that many people would open-carry at a gun show in a state where it was legal. Carrying on the street in the city is a different story. The setting of Deliverance wasn't exactly in a city on Main Street.
Yes Bill, you are also correct. The point/connections that I apparently failed to make are apparently lost. {SIGH} What an old dolt am I. :banghead: BTW & IIRC, The Charlotte Civic Center (?) was on a main street of some sort.

Bart
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bart »

Oldgringo wrote:I 'spect you're right. It would be kinda' like pickin' your nose in public OR blowin' your nose or puttin' on lipstick at the dinner table; it's legal, but it just ain't cool.
Based on your tolerance and manners displayed in this forum, you'll fit right in.
Oldgringo wrote:Did you ever see the movie, "DELIVERANCE"?
Was that the one where Tom Hanks played a FedEx employee?
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Bart wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:I 'spect you're right. It would be kinda' like pickin' your nose in public OR blowin' your nose or puttin' on lipstick at the dinner table; it's legal, but it just ain't cool.
Based on your tolerance and manners displayed in this forum, you'll fit right in.
I think you're mixed up. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Bart

Post by Bart »

WildBill wrote:
Bart wrote:
I think you're mixed up. :mrgreen:
I already got a PM. Deliverance is not the one about FedEx, it's the one where the Sheriff from Best Little Whorehouse in Texas goes on a boat trip.

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Bart wrote:
Surely to goodness, that wasn't a personal attack? Oh well, I can handle it. But you're sorta' right, I really can't abide rude behavior or stupidity, but I'll put my manners up against anybodys. I've never put on lipstick or blown my nose at the dinner table. You?

Bart

Post by Bart »

A traveler nearing a great city asked an old man seated by the road, “What are the people like in this city?”
The man replied, “What were they like where you came from?”
“A terrible lot,” the traveler reported. “Mean, untrustworthy, detestable in all respects.”
“Ah,” said the old man. “You will find them the same in the city ahead.”

Scarcely had the first traveler gone on his way when another stopped to inquire about the people in the city before him. Again the old man asked about the people in the place the traveler had just left.
“They were fine people, honest, industrious, and generous to a fault. I was sorry to leave,” declared the second traveler.
Responded the wise one, “So you will find them in the city ahead.”

:tiphat:

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Bart wrote:A traveler nearing a great city asked an old man seated by the road, “What are the people like in this city?”
The man replied, “What were they like where you came from?”
“A terrible lot,” the traveler reported. “Mean, untrustworthy, detestable in all respects.”
“Ah,” said the old man. “You will find them the same in the city ahead.”

Scarcely had the first traveler gone on his way when another stopped to inquire about the people in the city before him. Again the old man asked about the people in the place the traveler had just left.
“They were fine people, honest, industrious, and generous to a fault. I was sorry to leave,” declared the second traveler.
Responded the wise one, “So you will find them in the city ahead.”

Thank you, that's a nice and meaningful story but it doesn't appear to be about OC or others' perception of OC. Please help me understand your point.

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

while I do support open carry, I personally would very rarely do it. I would like the law to allow for concealed carry, without a permit, and without any penalty if firearm is visible for a moment. To not have to worry about maintaining 100% concealment would be a great thing. :tiphat:
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Bart and Oldgringo, you folks need to continue your disagreement in PM's not here on the open forum.

Chas.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”