Early Voting in Harris County

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

Early Voting in Harris County

Post by tomneal »

Debbie and I voted this morning. We arrived at 5 or 10 minutes after the polls opened. There were 50-100 folks in line at the Wirt Rd location.

We were concerned that there would be enough machines. That wasn't a problem. I suspect many of today's voters were straight ticket voters.

If you are in the city of Houston, remember that at the end of the ballot there are three propositions.
One dealing with raising taxes on everyone including churches and schools, to pay for drainage construction projects.
One changing residency requirements for city council. This is prep work for redistricting.
One on getting rid of red light cameras.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

USA1

Re: Early Voting in Harris County

Post by USA1 »

Getting ready to head out and vote. You can't complain if you don't vote. ;-)

I'm curious to see how the Red Light Camera vote goes. I have a feeling that voters will give it the "Red Light".
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

I thought that the Red Light camera program had been cancelled already, and that Bill White had signed an extra-long contract for it at the last minute before it took effect?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Went & got my voting done this morning, at the West Gray multi-purpose center inside the loop. Parking lot was jammed, with 5 cars circling looking for spots. Was expecting a line to vote, but had no line to check in, no line for a machine.

I suspect 85% of the parking spaces were taken up with the people waving signs for their candidates, and the polling officials. And the news crews.

It's be nice if all those people parked across West Gray in the huge parking lot, to leave more spaces open for, oh, I don't know... the VOTERS?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

For all CHL's, remember that this is "election day" as far as the prohibition on carrying in a polling place is concerned. So leave the pistol in the car.

Chas.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Just got back from exercising one of my most cherished rights as a US citizen.
I went to go vote this morning but the parking lot was full, with more cars waiting to park...Good sign.
Since I was running late this morning I decided to go after work. Not as crowded but still very busy...Also a good sign.

Go vote! Americans have given their lives for us to have the right. :patriot:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:For all CHL's, remember that this is "election day" as far as the prohibition on carrying in a polling place is concerned. So leave the pistol in the car.

Chas.
Always good to have the reminder, thank you! Pleased to say that despite my blond roots, I did remember :thumbs2:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

It wasn't in Harris County, but I also voted today, and the place was pretty active when I was there at 11ish am. I asked the clerk if this was "where we vote the bums out", and she said (with a smile) "I can't answer that 'yes' or 'no'"! Easy peasy, lemon squeezy and I was out within 5 minutes. :thumbs2:

Now, I just wish I could selectively block the campaign ads, since I no longer need to hear them!
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

ELB

Post by ELB »

UpTheIrons wrote:It wasn't in Harris County, but I also voted today, and the place was pretty active when I was there at 11ish am. I asked the clerk if this was "where we vote the bums out", and she said (with a smile) "I can't answer that 'yes' or 'no'"! Easy peasy, lemon squeezy and I was out within 5 minutes. :thumbs2:

Now, I just wish I could selectively block the campaign ads, since I no longer need to hear them!

If you voted at the main elections office in Seguin, you shoulda said hi to the (only) guy behind the counter in the red shirt. That was me. :mrgreen:

We (Guadalupe County) had more than 600 voters voting today at the main office. That was a lot for us. There was also voting at the satellite office in Schertz, and a polling place near San Marcos.
USAF 1982-2005

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

ELB wrote:
UpTheIrons wrote:It wasn't in Harris County, but I also voted today, and the place was pretty active when I was there at 11ish am. I asked the clerk if this was "where we vote the bums out", and she said (with a smile) "I can't answer that 'yes' or 'no'"! Easy peasy, lemon squeezy and I was out within 5 minutes. :thumbs2:

If you voted at the main elections office in Seguin, you shoulda said hi to the (only) guy behind the counter in the red shirt. That was me. :mrgreen:
Aw, Geez. I missed ya, because that's where I was.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

cling

Post by cling »

tomneal wrote:If you are in the city of Houston, remember that at the end of the ballot there are three propositions.
One dealing with raising taxes on everyone including churches and schools, to pay for drainage construction projects.
One changing residency requirements for city council. This is prep work for redistricting.
One on getting rid of red light cameras.
a/k/a the carpetbagger proposition
Better. Not Bitter.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Voted yesterday. Voted against the red light camera program (since I think it's a Confrontation Clause violation) and against lowering the residency requirement for city council. Left Prop 1 blank since I'm not a property owner and I don't believe in voting for taxes that I won't have to pay.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:For all CHL's, remember that this is "election day" as far as the prohibition on carrying in a polling place is concerned. So leave the pistol in the car.

Chas.
We really need to get that changed. It kind of makes sense in general from a voter intimidation standpoint, but since we are required to keep it concealed it is not a worry for CHLs.

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

hirundo82 wrote:Voted yesterday. Voted against the red light camera program (since I think it's a Confrontation Clause violation) and against lowering the residency requirement for city council. Left Prop 1 blank since I'm not a property owner and I don't believe in voting for taxes that I won't have to pay.

Chas.
We really need to get that changed. It kind of makes sense in general from a voter intimidation standpoint, but since we are required to keep it concealed it is not a worry for CHLs.
:iagree:

It makes even less sense when you consider that police are allowed to carry, even when not performing official duties, and a lot of voter intimidation of blacks in the south was done by the local sheriff and his deputies or special deputies.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

tacticool wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:Voted yesterday. Voted against the red light camera program (since I think it's a Confrontation Clause violation) and against lowering the residency requirement for city council. Left Prop 1 blank since I'm not a property owner and I don't believe in voting for taxes that I won't have to pay.

Chas.
:iagree:

It makes even less sense when you consider that police are allowed to carry, even when not performing official duties, and a lot of voter intimidation of blacks in the south was done by the local sheriff and his deputies or special deputies.
I understand that it's a low-priority issue for TSRA, especially since it is not an everyday issue like employee parking lots or campus carry, but early voting is making it a bigger issue.

For example--the closest early voting location to me is a grocery store. Nobody can carry there for a large portion of the day for almost two weeks, and this is an area where you'd definitely be advised to be on your guard.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

tomneal wrote:If you are in the city of Houston, remember that at the end of the ballot there are three propositions.
If they benefit from the flood control projects, they should pay too.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”