What do GOP wins mean for 2011 session?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 2

What do GOP wins mean for 2011 session?

Post by A-R »

So the GOP now holds an overwhelming majority in the Texas House and a solid majority in the Texas Senate (though apparently not enough to keep Dems from blocking some legislation if they all vote together as a single block).

And of course Gov. Perry is back again with another resounding win.

What does this mean for gun issues in the 2011 legislative session? This would seem to all be good for chances of passing pro-gun legislation. But obviously pro-gun vs. anti-gun is not as clear cut as R vs. D.

So what are our chances of pushing through some of the legislation we REALLY want (and not just "fixing" a few minor problems with CHL etc.)?

Could this be the year we finally get:
campus carry?
parking lot rights?
lower fees?
shoot for the moon and demand LEO-style carry rights? (CHL can carry anywhere LEO can carry)

Anyway, looking for updated thoughts/opinions and especially detailed insider analysis (Charles ... :bigear: ) on how last night's GOP triumphs could impact gun legislation for 2011 Texas Legislative Session.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What do GOP wins mean for 2011 session?

Post by 74novaman »

I have no knowledgeable insight to share, I'm just here for the :bigear: :bigear: :bigear: .

Edited to add: Though with budget issues, redistricting, and voter id all on the table its going to be a fairly rough session for getting things done I'm afraid.
TANSTAAFL

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Purplehood »

74novaman wrote:I have no knowledgeable insight to share, I'm just here for the :bigear: :bigear: :bigear: .

Edited to add: Though with budget issues, redistricting, and voter id all on the table its going to be a fairly rough session for getting things done I'm afraid.
Maybe I am being overly optimistic, but I think that the job that the NRA and TSRA did in getting voters out to the polls will not be overlooked in Austin. I think that we will get a much better look at pro-2A issues than we did last time from the legislature.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

mgood

Post by mgood »

austinrealtor wrote:Could this be the year we finally get:
campus carry?
parking lot rights?
YES!!
austinrealtor wrote:lower fees?
Maybe, slightly. I'm in favor of the idea that the CHL program pays for itself and does not require support from tax dollars. However, I'd like to know how much it really costs. If it's less than what is being charged, then the fee should be lowered to match the cost. If there are ways the program can be streamlined, saving money, those savings should also be passed on to the people paying for it. As an idealist, I don't like having to pay for something that is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. As a realist, I know that it is going to be regulated to some extent (though I disagree with it) and that costs money.
austinrealtor wrote:shoot for the moon and demand LEO-style carry rights? (CHL can carry anywhere LEO can carry)
Absolutely, ask for pie in the sky. You never know when we'll catch them in a weak moment. But we can be prepared to negotiate downwards from there to something the antis don't find quite so shocking but that still ensures that we at least get our high-priority items passed.

terryg

Post by terryg »

Edited: My question was asked and answered in another thread.
Last edited by terryg on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Tamie

Post by Tamie »

I hope it means a return to conservative values. I fear it means business as usual.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

:bigear: :bigear: :bigear: :bigear: :bigear: :bigear:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

One thing the sweep by the GOP means… If the GOP does not make a change in direction of where we are going in the next two years, the change will be in the other direction. People are fickle. Let us hope for the best.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

blue

Post by blue »

Anyone know what happened to that 'CHUBBING' group that shut us down on parking, campus, etc. last session???

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I'll tell you where one of the Red River crossing democrats is now......he crossed the aisle before the end of the last term, with red mud stains still showing on his shoes, ran this term as a Repub, and won by a massive landslide. For the first time in many, many years I just could not bring myself to push the straight party ticket button.....it's funny how the computer will remind you that you have an "incomplete ballot" and ask if you want to log the vote as is ;-). He may tend to have "conservative values" as some of the ranking Repub's like to claim, but sure didn't show them when he crossed the river and shut down a legislative session with the rest of the red mud stained yellow belly democrats.

I'll stop now before I say what I really think :mad5

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

I think that now is the time (yes, right this very minute! Or, at least the open of business tomorrow...) to approach your legislator and kindly and gently twist his/her arm about getting the parking lot and campus carry bills to the top of the agenda. Your legislator may not wind up on the Calendars committee, but he may be able to influence that committee.

I've got a long-time rep and friend of the RKBA in Edmund Kuempel, and I'm going to lean on him to get on these as best he can. It can't hurt that they are reminded what we want them to do - they just learned how much we are invested in this process by cleaning up as much as we did.

Once January hits and the assignments/appointments start happening, we can do it all over again, reminding them once more what they are there for. I'm sure we'll get some hints from the TSRA, too, on what to do so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Let's do this! :txflag:
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Purplehood »

mr surveyor wrote:I'll tell you where one of the Red River crossing democrats is now......he crossed the aisle before the end of the last term, with red mud stains still showing on his shoes, ran this term as a Repub, and won by a massive landslide. For the first time in many, many years I just could not bring myself to push the straight party ticket button.....it's funny how the computer will remind you that you have an "incomplete ballot" and ask if you want to log the vote as is ;-). He may tend to have "conservative values" as some of the ranking Repub's like to claim, but sure didn't show them when he crossed the river and shut down a legislative session with the rest of the red mud stained yellow belly democrats.

I'll stop now before I say what I really think :mad5

surv
Please name this individual and than I would like to ask Charles Cotton what his take on that person is for the next legislative session.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Going all out would mean to ammend the Texas constitution then institute constitutional carry with no restrictions.

No restrictions.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

blue

Post by blue »

-anygunanywhere

:iagree:

-----Go For It!!!----

:txflag:

-like we are getting a better chance waiting????--GO FOR IT NOW!!!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

:iagree:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”