Status of Campus Carry and Parking Lot (in layman's terms)

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Heartland Patriot

Status of Campus Carry and Parking Lot (in layman's terms)

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Is there anyone who knows exactly what is going on with these two, in a very short answer sort of way? I put this in political issues section because if the way this stuff has been going isn't "political", I really don't know what is. If this is NOT a good way to do this, my apologies. I'm just fully confused about what is alive and dead at this point...I just cannot follow this stuff, too many twists and turns. IF this gets deleted, can someone in the know please PM me? Thank you.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Status of Campus Carry and Parking Lot (in layman's term

Post by RPB »

Campus carry is very alive

Any Amendments to the bill must be turned in by 2:00 tomorrow (Tuesday) and they'll hear and vote on it Wednesday... then it will hopefully be sent to the Governor to sign.

So, tonight and tomorrow are pretty much the last chance to call/fax your Representative and tell him you're in favor of Campus Carry.

-----------------------

IF the House changes the bill ... it may have to go to a conference committee, where some Senators and some Representatives meet and argue ... that "probably" won't happen.... I hope. (That's why it's important to call/fax Representatives ... See Parking Lots below)
Last edited by RPB on Mon May 16, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Parking lots

This describes it best
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
House amended it so:
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... eturn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's on the Senate Calendar now (where it's been almost 2 weeks)
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 110516.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When a bill that has been amended by the opposite chamber is returned to the originating chamber, the originating chamber must concur with all of the amendments made by the opposite chamber before the bill can be enrolled. If the originating chamber does not concur with some or all of the opposite chamber�s amendments, it may request the appointment of a conference committee to resolve the differences between the house and senate versions of the bill.
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... oncom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
conference committee
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

If in conference committee the 2 chambers can't eventually agree ... the bill dies.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Thank you for "dumbing it down" for me. I've got to say, though, this wait-and-see stage of things is a real nail-biter.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Heartland Patriot wrote:Thank you for "dumbing it down" for me. I've got to say, though, this wait-and-see stage of things is a real nail-biter.
yeah it is.

The SB was modified by the House Appropriations committee, but it still contains campus carry as modified/substituted. Other financial portions were changed rather than campus carry being removed

So, it will have to go back to the Senate for approval anyway after house votes tomorrow if it passes.

Tomorrow they'll try to attack it to remove campus carry too ... pray.

Senator Ogden's group (author of the original SB) will have to approve the changes .. if he doesn't they'll need a conference committee.
I'm no lawyer

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

SB5 passed the House today with amendments. SB5's provisions were added to SB1581 after Sen. Zaffirini pulled her bill down. It was the SB5 provisions that were added that made campus-carry germane to SB1581. After campus-carry was added to SB1581, SB5 was stripped of the Wentworth amendment. Now that SB5 has passed without the campus-carry provisions, much of SB1581 is unnecessary.

Parking lots will go to conference likely with favorable people; the Senate author, House author and one other. Anything could happen but we should be fine.

Chas.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G26ster »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Now that SB5 has passed without the campus-carry provisions, much of SB1581 is unnecessary.

Chas.
Does that mean campus carry is all but dead?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

With 76 Amendments, "someone" is still interested... in 1581

Rep Hochberg says he's filed his school finance plan as an amendment to sb1581.

He has 5 amendments he filed for school finance on 1581 ... NONE on 1811 ...

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-educa ... -district/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On Wednesday, the House is set to take up a broad fiscal matters bill that will be the life raft for a number of measures that died before the lower chamber's deadline for approving legislation last Thursday. The bill will likely carry a school finance proposal from Rep. Scott Hochberg, D-Houston.
Too late for him to file them on 1811 now ...

I dunno what they are ... guess we'll know tomorrow when 1581 is on the floor
I'm no lawyer

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Seems like this has turned back into the legislative language again (bill numbers), and not "layman's terms." My head is spinning from the bill numbers. So, is it possible to state the status of a) Campus Carry, and b) Parking Lots bills using those terms (campus carry and Parking Lot), whether they are amendments to other bills or not? Let me ask two simple questions.

a) What does it take from here to pass Campus Carry?

b) What does it take to pass the Parking Lot bill?

Paragrouper

Post by Paragrouper »

G26ster wrote: a) What does it take from here to pass Campus Carry?

b) What does it take to pass the Parking Lot bill?
First off; Love the Screaming Eagle Avatar. My pa served with them when I was a kid (not me, I preferred Ft. Bragg ;-) ).

a) Campus Carry; The next step is for Campus Carry to get through the House. It passed the Senate attached to another bill. What everyone is discussing on the forum now is all of the maneuvering that politicians are doing before this comes up on the House floor for debate. There is a lot of speculation on whats going to happen and you can expect there will be some resistance. Campus Carry can be on the floor as early as tomorrow.

b) Parking Lot; it has passed both the House and Senate, but there were changes made by the House before they passed it. There will be a committee, with members from the House and Senate that will try to work out a compromise. Then it gets voted on again.

Both bills still have a bit to go, so watch the board for Call's for action in the next few days.

I hope this helps
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Thanks Paragrouper! Can't believe you like it in "Fayette-nam" ;-) Can I assume you served in the 82d? My nephew did. What is a "Paragrouper?" I know Paralegals are lawyers that jump out planes, and Paramedics are docs that do also, but what is a Paragrouper? :mrgreen:

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

G26ster wrote:Thanks Paragrouper! Can't believe you like it in "Fayette-nam" ;-) Can I assume you served in the 82d? My nephew did. What is a "Paragrouper?" I know Paralegals are lawyers that jump out planes, and Paramedics are docs that do also, but what is a Paragrouper? :mrgreen:

That would be an ocean fish that jumps out of planes. ;-)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... iSOp4o22Wg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

flintknapper wrote:
G26ster wrote:Thanks Paragrouper! Can't believe you like it in "Fayette-nam" ;-) Can I assume you served in the 82d? My nephew did. What is a "Paragrouper?" I know Paralegals are lawyers that jump out planes, and Paramedics are docs that do also, but what is a Paragrouper? :mrgreen:

That would be an ocean fish that jumps out of planes. ;-)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... iSOp4o22Wg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Must be static line only then. No way a grouper can pull a rip cord :biggrinjester:

Back on topic. When Charles said, "much of SB1581 is unnecessary," I assumed that meant that the bill would go nowhere. So, if that's the bill the CC amendment is attached to, there seemed to me little chance of CC passing. Hence my question in response to his post.

Paragrouper

Post by Paragrouper »

G26ster wrote:Must be static line only then. No way a grouper can pull a rip cord :biggrinjester:

Back on topic. When Charles said, "much of SB1581 is unnecessary," I assumed that meant that the bill would go nowhere. So, if that's the bill the CC amendment is attached to, there seemed to me little chance of CC passing. Hence my question in response to his post.
You Bet, I was much too ugly to be picked for HALO school.

From what little I've seen of Texas politics, its anybody's guess what will happen. I do know there is some stiff opposition--so we'll see what the next few days bring.
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”