Gun Silencers are Illegal in Texas. - Letter to TX Reps.

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

APynckel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Silencers are Illegal in Texas. - Letter to TX Reps.

Post by APynckel »

mrvmax wrote:I guess I am all right since I own a suppressor, not a silencer. "rlol"

Also, why don't we amend the law to state that if a suppressor is made in TX, bought in TX, and stays in TX, the Feds have no jurisdiction (intrastate commerce, not interstate) and thereby the NFA does not apply.
NRA Lifetime Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'm going to be at the SilencerCo shoot at Elm Fork range Saturday with my son. The Elm Fork home page says:
Elm Fork Shooting Sports is hosting
SilencerCo

Saturday April 28th - 8am to 6pm

“We are are keeping it quiet”

Come out to Elm Fork and experience new products and visit with vendors

This is a hands-on high volume event.

Come Prepared to Shoot!!
Here's a snapshot of SilencerCo's home page:
Screen-Shot-2012-04-26-at-8.49.jpg
On the event details page it says:
Come support the silencer industry and invite friends to learn about silencers including: uses, benefits, and how to purchase silencers. This live fire event will surely be the year’s most exciting gun show. Conveniently located in the heart of Dallas, Texas at Elm Fork Shooting range, one of the nicest shooting facilities in the country. Vendor tents are on the firing line for easy access to test the most current products on the market. Bring your guns and enjoy silenced fun!

FOR VENDOR/EXHIBITOR INFORMATION:
Please contact Kenny at Silencerco/SWR | 801.417.5384 | kenny@silencerco.com

ALL RAFFLE PROCEEDS AND TICKET SALE PROFITS GO TO THE AMERICAN SILENCER ASSOCIATION.
WHEN: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
WHERE: 10751 Luna Road | Dallas, TX 75220
http://www.elmfork.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(View event map)
WHAT: Testing products from many vendors, including silencer manufacturers and firearms manufacturers
Vendor booths selling state-of-the-art firearms and accessories
Ammo vendors on site to make sure your guns are fed all day long
Food and drinks available all day to ensure you have the energy to shoot
Raffles for a chance to win awesome products
(See the list of prizes here)
STAY For our out of town guests, a discounted group rate at the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriot will be available from April 27-29. Reservations are just a click away! Click here to be directed to the Marriott's home page. Your discount will already be entered in the appropriate field and you can book your stay like normal.

Must be 18 to attend the event.
Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a guardian.
If you have children, the minimum age is 5 and the minimum age for shooting is 12.

ALL LIVE FIRE MUST BE SUPPRESSED. NO UNSUPPRESSED SHOOTING ALLOWED.
I'm going to be there. I'd be really surprised if DPS showed up and arrested everybody.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

But if they wanted to they could...

The Annoyed Man

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:But if they wanted to they could...
Maybe, but I don't think they will.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
matefrio
Posts in topic: 8

Post by matefrio »

The Annoyed Man et all like you»

You live a life of care free comfort that is now afforded you by lax enforcement of the law. I see you like a grasshopper not caring that there may be a harsh winter time coming watching us ants worry and work while the skys are clear.

Let's say someone gets elected in your area that doesn't like people who own machine guns and silencers. Suddenly we DO have busses to haul everyone away at the silencer and machine guns shoots and by then the law will all but be impossible to change. It only takes one tyrannical leader to darken the skies with such laws on the books.

"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

mrvmax wrote:I guess I am all right since I own a suppressor, not a silencer. "rlol"

...PC46.01 (4)...

...PC46.05 (c)...

The Annoyed Man

matefrio wrote:The Annoyed Man et all like you»

You live a life of care free comfort that is now afforded you by lax enforcement of the law. I see you like a grasshopper not caring that there may be a harsh winter time coming watching us ants worry and work while the skys are clear.

Let's say someone gets elected in your area that doesn't like people who own machine guns and silencers. Suddenly we DO have busses to haul everyone away at the silencer and machine guns shoots and by then the law will all but be impossible to change. It only takes one tyrannical leader to darken the skies with such laws on the books.

"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand
Wow. :roll:

First: Care free comfort? You really don't know me. You can see me how ever you want to, but you are delusional without actually knowing me. I am self-employed. I work my tail off......when there is business.....and I am one of those who will be hugely impacted if Obama is elected to another term, even worse than I have already been impacted by his first term, because my business is directly impacted by his economic policies. This impact directly affects my income. This is one of the major reasons I so thoroughly resent libertarian efforts to bleed off republican voters. They are more concerned with maintaining the purity of their ideology than they are with the immediate effects of those efforts on the very real lives of very real people, and on small business owners like me. They would rather see the results of another Obama term happen to the nation, than they would be willing to make certain practical adjustments to their political activities. That makes them, for all practical political purposes, identical to the hardcore leftists of the democratic party, who dismiss the concerns of real persons by saying "you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet." Anyone who takes that attitude with me is my personal enemy. You want to talk about frittering away the summer weather while worker ants work? That is exactly the description of the efforts of the Libertarian Party at this exact moment in American history, when those efforts are an indulgence the nation can poorly afford.

Second: AT NO POINT IN THIS THREAD have I said that the law shouldn't be changed. Review some of my posts on this board about how I view government and the 2nd Amendment before making unfounded accusations like that. My posts in this thread have consisted solely of saying, in effect, that this is not an emergency—particularly not when the state government appears to be enthusiastically supporting lifting regulations against the possession and use of suppressors. In fact, my son and I have an appointment with our attorney for the purposes of setting up our NFA trust, exactly for the reasons that we support the decriminalization of these items. The more of them there are in citizen hands, the harder it will ever be for government to take them all away. I agree that the NFA makes it possible to instantly criminalize law-abiding citizens. The sooner the laws are removed from the books, the better. But when enough people are on the NFA books, turning them into instant felons becomes a political impossibility. If an American government were able to make it happen, then we already have bigger issues and it is time to resort to the bullet box instead of the ballot box. But until and unless such a time comes, it is much better to procede in an orderly and unpanicked manner with removing such laws from the books. Again, you don't know me.

Third: Quoting Publius Cornelius Tacitus ("In the most corrupt state are the most laws")......Quote him in context. He also said "Mores sunt tacitus consensus populi longa consuetudine inveteratus (The customs are tacit agreements made by the consensus of the people over a long interval (Legal term Domitius Ulpianus)). Tacitus is also one of the secular sources confirming the existence of Jesus Christ and the historicity of the crucifixion. Ayn Rand (whom you also quote) was a clinical model of sociopathy.....and yes, I've read her works. I find it wryly amusing that (Big "L") Libertarians like to quote Ayn Rand as the founder of their (libertarian) faith, and often deride Christianity based on Ayn Rand's attacks on the same, but also like to quote Tactitus—who confirms the crucifixion of Christ and who was anything BUT a libertarian—to support Libertarianism, an act of cognitive dissonance. Historically, a Roman Senator had to actually agree with the idea of powerfully centralized Roman government—as someone who maintained opposition to that concept would not only never be elected to office, but in all likelihood would have been penalized for such views. And in those days, the penalties were draconian. Selective references to ancient history to support ones modern views had better be contextually true for that support to actually work.....particularly when the person quoted, Publius Cornelius Tacitus was also a historian.

I have nothing against some libertarian principles. If I were to describe my own views, I would describe myself as "leaning toward, but not fully committed to a libertarian interpretation of republicanism." My personal favorite quote from a Roman Senator is Marcus Tullius Cicero-"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." You want to know where Io stand politically? Here is a good place to start: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=54635&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I think you owe me an apology.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
matefrio

Post by matefrio »

As a whole I believe I have accurately described the distractors who have "contributed" to this thread.

I wasn't addressing fundamental beliefs just the apathetic comments that this is a non issue that can be found in this thread.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

EconDoc wrote:Charles,

Thank you for posting what is the big "gotcha" in current Texas law regarding silencers (suppressors). I wonder just how many people are going to be ruined by having to pay for the affirmative defense needed to avoid a felony conviction.

:patriot: :txflag:

...I've been searching for some history on if or how many have been arrested in possession of a legally papered silencer in Texas, and have had to pay for the affirmative defense...so far I've found none...

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

matefrio wrote:As a whole I believe I have accurately described the distractors who have "contributed" to this thread.

I wasn't addressing fundamental beliefs just the apathetic comments that this is a non issue that can be found in this thread.

...perhaps a billboard would be a place to post more to your liking...on an open forum, when you post you invite ALL to share their opinions of what you post...and we have...

Topic author
matefrio

Post by matefrio »

speedsix wrote:
matefrio wrote:As a whole I believe I have accurately described the distractors who have "contributed" to this thread.

...perhaps a billboard would be a place to post more to your liking...on an open forum, when you post you invite ALL to share their opinions of what you post...and we have...
No issue with the distracors and nay sayers. I was addressing their comments directly I think.

The Annoyed Man

matefrio wrote:
speedsix wrote:

No issue with the distracors and nay sayers. I was addressing their comments directly I think.
matefrio wrote:The Annoyed Man et all like you»

No, you did not confine yourself to addressing my comments. You made a personal attack, likening me to the lazy grasshopper of Aesop's Fables fame, a morality tale about the virtues of hard work and planning for the future, when you know nothing about me, my business, how hard I work, and apparently my posting history. That is why I gave you both barrels in return. You still owe me an apology.

#TINVOWOOT

Wes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Wes »

i do agree it would be nice for the law to be redacted, but i am not personally concerned about it being an issue. I admittingly do not own one but i am in the process of setting up a trust to get one.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

alvins

Post by alvins »

I think the only time they might try to use the law against you is if your doing somthing else really bad and want to make sure you get whats coming to you.

besides why would the nfa office approve your stuff if you cant own them in texas?

Topic author
matefrio

Post by matefrio »

alvins wrote:I think the only time they might try to use the law against you is if your doing somthing else really bad and want to make sure you get whats coming to you.
Isn't that enough reason to want to change the law?

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”