Resolving the Sandy Hook dilemma

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Resolving the Sandy Hook dilemma

Post by gigag04 »

Stupid wrote:I would suggest to include:

1. Straw purchaser, 10 years mandatory. If the gun is used in a felony, 25 years mandatory.
2. If your kids (<18) commit a crime, you are liable whether you are the custodian or not. We can discuss about sentences for the parents.
3. Ban all movies and TV shows if they glorify any crime or criminals.
4. Ban all media from reporting mass murder, particular using their names.
5. Make showing violent movies to minors or letting minors play violent games a felony.
A first DWI isn't even a felony...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 13

Post by baldeagle »

A-R wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Never let a crisis go to waste, they say. Strike while the iron is hot, they say. Now is the time for action, they say.

OK, here's some suggestions based on the facts:
1) Don't pass gun control legislation. It does nothing to solve crimes like Sandy Hook.
2) Get serious about providing genuine mental health services (not drugs) that identify truly dangerous people and heal the rest. An identification of dangerous person must be arrived at by at least three completely independent professionals and approved by a state or federal court. An appeals process must be put in place to ensure abuses are few.
3) Stiffen the penalties for possession of a weapon as a convicted felon; first offense, 10 years (not up to) and no parole, second offense, life in prison, no parole. Possess a weapon with two previous felony convictions and it's automatic life without parole. Violent felons should be locked up, not "rehabilitated".
4) Allow CHL holders to carry everywhere that law enforcement personnel can; sporting events, schools, courtrooms, police stations, churches, malls, movie theatres - all the "gun free" zones that turn into slaughter houses.

Those are a few. There are probably others that make sense as well.
Great list ... permission to share?
Of course.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Stupid wrote:I would suggest to include:

1. Straw purchaser, 10 years mandatory. If the gun is used in a felony, 25 years mandatory.
Straw purchaser would have to be very carefully defined. Otherwise a parent buying a gun for their child would be a felon.
Stupid wrote:2. If your kids (<18) commit a crime, you are liable whether you are the custodian or not. We can discuss about sentences for the parents.
Define crime. Misdemeanor? Felony? What class? It has merit so long as it makes sense.
Stupid wrote:3. Ban all movies and TV shows if they glorify any crime or criminals.
Bzzzt. Violation of the First Amendment. Requiring ratings strictly defined, OTOH, might pass muster. I suggested that in another thread, including ratings for sex, violence and profanity and requiring an "X" rating for more than some number of violent actions, more than some number of profane words or more than some number of sexual behaviors.
Stupid wrote:4. Ban all media from reporting mass murder, particular using their names.
Bzzzt. Violation of the First Amendment. However, you could pass a law that forbids law enforcement from releasing the name of the killer before trial, just as we do for rape victims. I would also be in favor of encouraging journalists to obtain a license from the state and holding them to certain standards to retain the license. They could still practice without one, but the publishers would have to publish whether or not they were licensed and prominently display their license on their site or in their print products.
Stupid wrote:5. Make showing violent movies to minors or letting minors play violent games a felony.
Who's committing the felony? The parents? The movie theatre? The game manufacturer? The games is especially problematic, since those can be done in the privacy of your own home. But you could hold movie theaters liable for not carding underage customers and preventing them from entering movies rated R or X.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

Above can go ahead and serve as basis for my answer as well

Wes

Post by Wes »

Surely he is just stirring the pot with those kind of comments, tongue in cheek or not I am pretty sure that is against the spirit and rules of the forum. I could be mistaken I guess, but they seem odd and out of place to me.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Slowplay

Post by Slowplay »

Stupid wrote:I have been saying this all along. Why can't we propose our version of gun control law that focuses on controlling criminals?

It feels like we always sit here and wait for the antis to infringe our rights.
So, you want to beat them to the punch by recommending several ways to infringe rights?

I think my view of liberty and understanding of the U.S. Constitution are quite different than yours.

Also, I agree with Wes. I don't know how to take some of your comments.
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am still in need of some high capacity assualt clips! I can't seem to find them anywhere. Never owned any before and sure would like to get some before they are all banned. :coolgleamA:

P.S. Could someone explain to me how they work. I would also like to know where to attach them... do they work with my Iphone???

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Assault clip...notice there's no bayonet lug though.

Psalm 91:2

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

SQLGeek wrote:Assault clip...notice there's no bayonet lug though.

[ Image ]
Thanks for the help... I was hoping they would be 30 rounders and I am only interested if they have the bayonet lug. :cool:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

[ Image ]

Legal with DF and Obama proposed ban. If 30rd Mags are outlowed, I would love to sport an SKS with speed loader. Did any one heard of Rev. SLders.

Last edited by Beiruty on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

[ Image ]
Nope, not for an assault rifle, but for a battle rifle, therefore a "battle clip."
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

03Lightningrocks wrote:

[ Image ]
Thanks for the help... I was hoping they would be 30 rounders and I am only interested if they have the bayonet lug. :cool:
Hey General Patton called the M1 the finest battle implement in the world. Now the AR series of rifles weren't around yet but I figure if the M1 was good enough for the military in WWII and Korea, it's good enough for me. :cool:

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

jimlongley wrote:

[ Image ]
Nope, not for an assault rifle, but for a battle rifle, therefore a "battle clip."
Good point, Jim. "Battle clip." I like that.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Stupid wrote:Still don't see the need for you to have any assault clips.
I am hoping that the sarcasm-meter is pinging on that one.

Othewise I am going to be quite confused as I try to figure out what an Assault Clip is.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

OK, stop hijacking the thread and let's get back to the discussion.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”