UN: Colo., Wash. legal pot violates drug treaties

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

UN: Colo., Wash. legal pot violates drug treaties

Post by VMI77 »

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... ethru.html
A United Nations-based drug agency urged the United States government on Tuesday to challenge the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Colorado and Washington, saying the state laws violate international drug treaties.
Could this set a precedent for enforcement of the UN arms treaty? I have to wonder if this isn't rigged for an attempt to establish a precedent prior to bringing a revamped arms control treaty up for a vote. Or simply a Federal supremacy test for gun laws.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Texas Dan Mosby
Posts in topic: 1

Re: UN: Colo., Wash. legal pot violates drug treaties

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

The U.N. can get bent as far as I'm concerned.

Whether firearms, marriage, "drugs", whatever, I respect the citizens of each state that vote on these subjects as opposed to the clowns running the circus known as the "U.N.".
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Given that Obummer supports a hands off approach to this issue, I have a hard time seeing how it could be considered "rigged".

A test? Possibly. But in opposition to the current Administrations' position.
I think President Thin-Skin will be pouty-faced that the UN is moving publicly in a contrary direction.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Gameover

Post by Gameover »

The U.N. needs to take a hike! If they dont like the laws states are passing tough, because I pretty sure if the people that live in the states of the united states didn't pay tax to the federal government then there would be no money for this silly group called the U.N. . Why dont they just stick to doing what they do best.....NOTHING. :patriot:
Question everything

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Texas Dan Mosby wrote:The U.N. can get bent as far as I'm concerned.
Same here.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Dave2 wrote:
Same here.

I remember the bumper stickers from my youth that said: US out of UN; UN out of US. A sentiment I wholly support.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Dave2 wrote:
Same here.

:iagree: When the UN decides to actually do something about the cleansing of Christians from Muslim states and the ethnic cleansing in Africa I might take them serious. Until then they can take a long walk off of short pier.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Hola Gato

Post by Hola Gato »

We need to stop funding those UN-American fascists. Let somebody else carry the load for the next 75 years.
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Blue helmets make great targets.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Obama will do nothing about the legalized pot. Trust me. Too many of his voters are among the users. Now, if we pass state laws that say we can have guns in spite of a federal law, THAT will be different. Far different.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jumping Frog wrote:Blue helmets make great targets.
You beat me to it.

BHMGT

Better than IBTL.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Nightshift

Post by Nightshift »

I find this hard to believe as Holland is an EU member and so are several other countries in Europe that have far more lax drug laws and they have been doing this for years. The EU in my opinion is the first in line to cooperate with the UN and its demands.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Nightshift wrote:I find this hard to believe as Holland is an EU member and so are several other countries in Europe that have far more lax drug laws and they have been doing this for years. The EU in my opinion is the first in line to cooperate with the UN and its demands.
Holland is not the country the rest of the world has in its sights.

We are.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

VMI77 wrote:http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... ethru.html
A United Nations-based drug agency urged the United States government on Tuesday to challenge the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Colorado and Washington, saying the state laws violate international drug treaties.
Could this set a precedent for enforcement of the UN arms treaty? I have to wonder if this isn't rigged for an attempt to establish a precedent prior to bringing a revamped arms control treaty up for a vote. Or simply a Federal supremacy test for gun laws.
What we have here is a supposed conflict between a state's laws an international treaty. The United States Constitution already has this one covered under the supremacy clause which basically says that a states consitution and laws can not override a treaty. What really needs to be investigated is does the laws in those states actually conflict with the language of the treaties and if so what remedies are there for those states.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm thankful this issue surfaced over pot rather than gun ownership.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”