Chief Acevedo, Mayor Leffingwell call for national gun law r

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gthaustex
Posts in topic: 2

Chief Acevedo, Mayor Leffingwell call for national gun law r

Post by gthaustex »

Heard this on the TV news last night and on the radio news this morning in the Austin area. This to go along with the Austin City Council passing a resolution to back the AWB in Congress. Austin Mayor Leffingwell (member of MAIG) and Austin Police Chief Acevedo tooting their own horns again, calling for universal background check legislation on a nationwide basis....

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stori ... law-reform
"It does not add up,” Chief Acevedo said. “You cannot argue against universal background checks with a straight face and tell me that you are in favor of public safety."

Austin's top cop says it's about keeping guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them—not infringing on a person's Second Amendment rights.

"It's not about keeping guns out of the hands of law abiding Americans and I'm sick and tired of people lying to the American people,” Chief Acevedo said.
Another police chief politician.... :mad5

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Chief Acevedo, Mayor Leffingwell call for national gun l

Post by baldeagle »

I'm sick and tired of liberal police administrators pretending that universal background checks will do anything to lower crime rates. He of all people should know that criminals do not get their guns from places that do background checks. This is the police chief who makes excuses for his department refusing to produce discovery in a lawsuit against them for over seven months and now has been sanctioned by the judge for their foot dragging. So while he has no respect for the law and has demonstrated that in court, he expects law abiding citizens to lay down and accept the intrusiveness and expense of background checks so he can lie and say crime has been reduced because of it.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Its about them building a LEGAL database (registry) so that the next time there is any sort of a mass shooting by a deranged/evil young liberal-progressive, they can then push more propaganda through their giant media mouthpiece and whip up instantaneous "public support", then under threat of FORCE (because that is the only real way to get something done in a hurry), make people turn in whichever firearms they want turned in...which, eventually, will be the vast majority of them. Once most firearms are taken out of the peoples' hands, then the government can do whatever it wants, no matter how outrageous, and no one can do a thing about it. At the present time, the government is constrained from the worst abuses because they KNOW it would lead to violent opposition...which is the way the Founding Fathers intended it to be.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

""It's not about keeping guns out of the hands of law abiding Americans and I'm sick and tired of people lying to the American people,” Chief Acevedo said. The chief says Washington needs to close the gun show and private seller loopholes in which felons can buy firearms without a background check. "All people have to do is go on the internet, or another city, in another state, and purchase firearms they're not entitled to," he said."

He is not that stupid folks! He is lying through his teeth to push their agenda. When is the last time you think ol' 5 Finger Bubba went on the "Internets" and ordered him one of those asalt weapons with them highcap "clips" from amazon.com... So if I am a felon and I need a gun I have to go to another city or state? Why can't I just buy it from Buedraux? He has a bunch of stolen guns! Heck he don't even do those background checky things!

Really... Just chaps my hide! :banghead:
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I know a town that they'd just love ....

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=64685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

K.Mooneyham wrote:Its about them building a LEGAL database (registry) so that the next time there is any sort of a mass shooting by a deranged/evil young liberal-progressive, they can then push more propaganda through their giant media mouthpiece and whip up instantaneous "public support", then under threat of FORCE (because that is the only real way to get something done in a hurry), make people turn in whichever firearms they want turned in...which, eventually, will be the vast majority of them. Once most firearms are taken out of the peoples' hands, then the government can do whatever it wants, no matter how outrageous, and no one can do a thing about it. At the present time, the government is constrained from the worst abuses because they KNOW it would lead to violent opposition...which is the way the Founding Fathers intended it to be.

You know, I really don't know why they'd bother. Even in spite of all the firearms currently in citizen's hands, the government perpetrates some pretty outrageous abuses of personal liberty with nary more than a whimper out of anybody.
Byron Dickens

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Why can't I just buy it from Buedraux? He has a bunch of stolen guns! Heck he don't even do those background checky things!
Hey Budreaux! Why is it always Budreaux? Darn Budreaux! It's that "Geaux Tigers!" bumper sticker isn't it?! Isn't that profiling?
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

bdickens wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:Its about them building a LEGAL database (registry) so that the next time there is any sort of a mass shooting by a deranged/evil young liberal-progressive, they can then push more propaganda through their giant media mouthpiece and whip up instantaneous "public support", then under threat of FORCE (because that is the only real way to get something done in a hurry), make people turn in whichever firearms they want turned in...which, eventually, will be the vast majority of them. Once most firearms are taken out of the peoples' hands, then the government can do whatever it wants, no matter how outrageous, and no one can do a thing about it. At the present time, the government is constrained from the worst abuses because they KNOW it would lead to violent opposition...which is the way the Founding Fathers intended it to be.

You know, I really don't know why they'd bother. Even in spite of all the firearms currently in citizen's hands, the government perpetrates some pretty outrageous abuses of personal liberty with nary more than a whimper out of anybody.
And though there have indeed been many abuses of the rights of the general citizenry in this nation, they have not done any true mass arrests, as the Soviets did when they thought some folks might not like what they were doing. The Soviets could easily do that because the people there were unarmed. The more radical elements in our government know better than to pull something like that due the the violent backlash it would cause. Could they pull it off? Perhaps, but it would cause enormous destruction to do so, and they know that. As an illustrating example, in China, a woman can be FORCED to have an abortion "for the good of the state" and what can anyone do about it? Nothing. What would happen here if they tried that...?

packa45

Post by packa45 »

Austin mayor and police chief and the city council are all libtards... Acevedo and about 30 of his officers flew to DC on the city taxpayers dime to celebrate the inauguration of our greatest enemy to the constitution of the United States... Acevedo needs to move back to California where most of the state agrees with his liberal mentality and take back half of the Austin population with him.
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

Topic author
gthaustex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gthaustex »

packa45 wrote:Austin mayor and police chief and the city council are all libtards... Acevedo and about 30 of his officers flew to DC on the city taxpayers dime to celebrate the inauguration of our greatest enemy to the constitution of the United States... Acevedo needs to move back to California where most of the state agrees with his liberal mentality and take back half of the Austin population with him.
And I'm betting that they wouldn't even have to use taxpayer dollars to get back to California....we would probably be able to raise plenty of money from donations to send them back....

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

gthaustex wrote:
packa45 wrote:Austin mayor and police chief and the city council are all libtards... Acevedo and about 30 of his officers flew to DC on the city taxpayers dime to celebrate the inauguration of our greatest enemy to the constitution of the United States... Acevedo needs to move back to California where most of the state agrees with his liberal mentality and take back half of the Austin population with him.
And I'm betting that they wouldn't even have to use taxpayer dollars to get back to California....we would probably be able to raise plenty of money from donations to send them back....
I don't live in Austin, but I'll chip in $10. :biggrinjester:

Baxter

Post by Baxter »

Having spent 10 years in law enforcement and seen gun violence from every angle there is no doubt Acevedo is lying through his teeth. He is like the rest of the liberals who are so arrogant that he feels if he says it that makes it so and everyone should believe him.
After some of his words and actions and the actions of some of the members of his department he really has no credibility left.

I wonder if he realizes he is the butt of jokes with other law enforcement.

There is no doubt he has aspirations of moving to a bigger city. It's time for him to move along.
I'll Keep
My God
My Guns
My Freedom

NRA Life Member TSRA member Texas Firearms Coalition member

lbuehler325

Post by lbuehler325 »

It's about ensuring the fools in power (government) stay in power, and keeping the citizen dependent on them. They need their citizens to be subjects.
RLTW!
TX CHL (Formerly licensed in PA, MA, KY)
MOPH, VFW, GOA, NRA, 82nd Airborne Division Association

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Baxter wrote:Having spent 10 years in law enforcement and seen gun violence from every angle there is no doubt Acevedo is lying through his teeth. He is like the rest of the liberals who are so arrogant that he feels if he says it that makes it so and everyone should believe him.
After some of his words and actions and the actions of some of the members of his department he really has no credibility left.

I wonder if he realizes he is the butt of jokes with other law enforcement.

There is no doubt he has aspirations of moving to a bigger city. It's time for him to move along.
Most Police Chiefs say what the mayor and city councils want them to say. If they don’t they are not the Chief much longer and probably no longer employed by the city.

That’s just the way it is.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

The Austin police chief is a transplant from California so we are not surprised he wants to bring his home state's ideas to Texas as well. :nono:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”