United Nations Approves Arms Trade Treaty

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

By Hayes Brown on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:41 am
http://thinkprogress.org/security/2013/ ... ?mobile=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
\

U.N. passes sweeping international arms regulation viewed by some as Second Amendment override
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... on-treaty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Grillmark55
Posts in topic: 2

Re: United Nations Approves Arms Trade Treaty

Post by Grillmark55 »

When in God's name are we going to kick the UN out of New York?!

:mad5 :banghead: :mad5 :banghead: :mad5 :banghead:
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Superman

Post by Superman »

Here's a good opinion piece on the whole UN arms trade treaty:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/04/ ... -rule-day/

airboss

Post by airboss »

The president seems as though he intends to sign it.

However----->>>>>>>

Article II, section 2 of the Constitution requires a 2/3 vote of the Senate in concurrence for any Treaty to become valid.
What am I missing here?

ffemt300

Post by ffemt300 »

From Reuters:
The United States, the world's No. 1 arms exporter, voted in favor of the treaty despite fierce opposition from the National Rifle Association, a powerful U.S. pro-gun lobbying group.
Is that all the NRA is? :nono:

ffemt300

Post by ffemt300 »

Perhaps it doesn't matter so much if Belarus and Armenia aren't fully on board, but you can't say that about India, Pakistan, Russia, and China. They're major arms exporting and importing states, and most of them are deeply irresponsible.
Understatement of the milennium...

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I want to see the text of the treaty. Every American should want to see it.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

airboss wrote:The president seems as though he intends to sign it.

However----->>>>>>>

Article II, section 2 of the Constitution requires a 2/3 vote of the Senate in concurrence for any Treaty to become valid.
What am I missing here?

nothing...but they could sneak it in another bill. much like what happened with the obama care law...it was sneaked into a veterans bill , except they removed all the veterans stuff and added in obarry the mighty care

the talks seemed to have stopped when iran said no....maybe we have a chance still to raise cane and let our elected persons know our true feelings

i missed rep. hensarling today here in mineola, i had court date to stand up for a friend against tyranny so it was a good day, she won
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

baldeagle wrote:I want to see the text of the treaty. Every American should want to see it.
You want transparency from this administration? Good luck. You want the Senators to read the treaty? Good luck. I would not be surprised that this treaty will be added to other bills and passed on a Sunday night vote. I do not trust this administration.
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

FormerTSgt

Post by FormerTSgt »

I seriously doubt this will be ratified here.
Former TSgt USAF Security Forces
Iraq Vet

packa45

Post by packa45 »

If it is voted in does that mean there will be a new hunting season in Texas?...if so what will the blue hat bag limit per day be?...and when does the season start/end?....

I'm just saying I don't think most red blooded Americans living in Texas would stand by and let this manure treaty be enforced.
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

"The GOP will save us."
© Angunanywhere, 2013

:biggrinjester:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

Vol Texan wrote:"The GOP will save us."
© Angunanywhere, 2013

:biggrinjester:
We better make sure the GOP understands what we expect from them this messing with our 2A will not be tolerated. :txflag:
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

Grillmark55

Post by Grillmark55 »

airboss wrote:The president seems as though he intends to sign it.

However----->>>>>>>

What am I missing here?
Not missing anything. The only thing is that our present Administration and most of congress - and the Supreme Court for that matter - seems to be giving the American people the finger and saying "If you don't like it, tough crap. WE are smarter than YOU so we ARE going to do this". And of course our press (otherwise known as the Obama finger puppets) all just nod their heads like little wooden bobble-head dolls; "Yup, yup, it's Bush's fault. Obama is the messiah". Think a 2/3 majority in the Senate is not possible? Think back on the last 5 years and tell me how many times you said "How the hell did THAT happen?" Most of our country is asleep and the wake-up call is going to be VERY nasty.
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”