IRS APOLOGIZES FOR TARGETING TEA PARTY GROUPS

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 39

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/irs-apol ... ive-groups
By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER— May. 10 6:14 PM EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Internal Revenue Service apologized Friday for what it acknowledged was "inappropriate" targeting of conservative political groups during the 2012 election to see if they were violating their tax-exempt status.

IRS agents singled out dozens of organizations for additional reviews because they included the words "tea party" or "patriot" in their exemption applications, said Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups. In some cases, groups were asked for lists of donors, which violates IRS policy in most cases, she said.

{——SNIP——}

Lerner said the practice was initiated by low-level workers in Cincinnati and was not motivated by political bias.
I'll believe that last part when pigs fly.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 13

Re: IRS APOLOGIZES FOR TARGETING TEA PARTY GROUPS

Post by Jaguar »

And the White House blames....

Wait for it...

Here it comes...

Surprise, BUSH!!!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/car ... 22149.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

This is stuff people should go to jail for...along with Fast and Furious, Benghazi, multiple green-scam government loans, and on and on. But won't happen in this administration.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

This administration is easily the most corrupt in many generations.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mamabearCali »

ELB wrote:This is stuff people should go to jail for...along with Fast and Furious, Benghazi, multiple green-scam government loans, and on and on. But won't happen in this administration.

:iagree: Perhaps one of their webs they have woven will prove too sticky even for them. Benghazi scandal looks like it might have legs.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

gthaustex
Posts in topic: 5

Post by gthaustex »

The Annoyed Man wrote:This administration is easily the most corrupt in many generations.
What???? But......they were supposed to be the most transparent administration in history. The anointed one said so himself...... "rlol"

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 24

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jaguar wrote:And the White House blames....
Wait for it...
Here it comes...
Surprise, BUSH!!!
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/car ... 22149.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you think Jay Carney is able to sleep at night.?
His nose must keep slapping his wife every time he rolls over.

(That was a Pinocchio joke for all of you Dear Readers who have not yet had your first cup of coffee :mrgreen: )
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I belong to one of the groups that was targeted by the IRS. I'm personal friends with the President of that group

The abuse is NOT a couple of isolated incidents but is a continuous pattern of highly discriminatory behavior. Fortunately, one of the high visibility lawyers took up this group's cause pro bono and was able to hold back the tide of completely bogus requests for data from the IRS.

For a single incident, you may apologize. For a pattern of behavior which could have ended up with the leaders of the targeted group in jail, an apology doesn't begin to atone for the IRS behavior. Like the GAO executive who was caught red-handed drinking wine in a Vegas hot tub on the tax payer dime, nothing is going to happen to those in the IRS who are responsible, regardless of who appointed them.

And where is the outrage? I'm betting that Gallup, Rasmussen, etc. would be hard pressed to predict that 50% of the people in this country even know that the story exists, let alone the details about what was done.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Jaguar »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Wait for it...
Here it comes...
Surprise, BUSH!!!

(That was a Pinocchio joke for all of you Dear Readers who have not yet had your first cup of coffee :mrgreen: )
Got the joke, I just cannot imagine myself as chief propagandist for the ministry of truth. I cannot imagine how anyone can take that job, it boggles my mind. First job requirement - have no soul.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Lerner said the practice was initiated by low-level workers in Cincinnati and was not motivated by political bias.
I'll believe that last part when pigs fly.
This administration promised transparency and not a week goes by they don't have a transparent lie for us.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Wait for it...
Here it comes...
Surprise, BUSH!!!

As bad as I thought that guy Gibbs was, he's got absolutely nothing on this Carney. I've never heard anyone in my entire life that can spin, obfuscate and outright lie the way Carney can. And no, I don't know how anyone that loathsome can sleep at night, though I know that child molesters and murderers must sleep, too.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

The Annoyed Man wrote:This administration is easily the most corrupt in many generations.
And they're not even trying to hide that anymore it seems. "We'll do what we want, stop us if you can."
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

38cobra

Post by 38cobra »

We started contributing to Tea Party organizations and candidates (Ted Cruz, etc) about two years ago. This year we had our first audit in 45 years of tax returns. Coincidence? Or maybe it was the NRA donation?

philip964

Post by philip964 »

What I find the most interesting in recent news regarding the current government is that it tends to confirm all the tin hat conspiracy theories.

Here is an loosely knit group of individuals whose only goal is smaller government and more freedom. The government's reaction is to place them under greater scrutiny than other groups. Even though such an action is with out question illegally in violation of the charter of that same government.

At the same time that same government wants to regulate and register all guns.

At the same time that same government wants to restrict the freedom of speech regarding a simple home made gun.

At the same time that same government has switched from a simple paper ballot with auditing capabilities to a complicated computerized system with no auditing capabilities.

At the same time that same government has encouraged many in the population to go on the public dole, so as to be permanently dependent on that same government.

At the same time that same government supports a policy of allowing undocumented aliens to vote, at the same time supporting a policy of amnesty for these same people.

Naaw. All in my head.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... port-says/
IRS targeted groups that criticized the government, IG report says
By Juliet Eilperin, Published: May 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm
At various points over the past two years, Internal Revenue Service officials targeted nonprofit groups that criticized the government and sought to educate Americans about the U.S. Constitution, according to documents in an audit conducted by the agency’s inspector general.

The documents, obtained by The Washington Post from a congressional aide with knowledge of the findings, show that on June 29, 2011, IRS staffers held a briefing with senior agency official Lois G. Lerner in which they described giving special attention to instances where “statements in the case file criticize how the country is being run.” Lerner, who oversees tax-exempt groups for the agency, raised objections and the agency revised its criteria a week later.

But six months later, the IRS applied a new political test to groups that applied for tax-exempt status as “social welfare” groups, the document says. On Jan. 15, 2012 the agency decided to target “political action type organizations involved in limiting/expanding Government, educating on the Constitution and Bill of Rights, social economic reform movement.,” according to the appendix in the IG report, which was requested by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and has yet to be released.
How long are Americans going to put up with this kind of political corruption in the highest places? What is it about liberals that they don't think their message will stand up to scrutiny, so they have to try and squash the First Amendment for people who do the scrutinizing? Right now, at this time in American history, there is little or no difference between the democrat party and the mafia.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”