So they say the NRA has a database on all gun owners

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Medic624
Posts in topic: 2

So they say the NRA has a database on all gun owners

Post by Medic624 »

According to the article the NRA has a database with names and classes taken by gun owners and, this is what they use as political clout... So what we should then be okay with both them AND the Feds having the info also and stop complaining they want to make a database for registration and, per the theory, ultimately confiscation?? IMHO after the NSA info dump I'm not so sure the BATF hasn't been keeping a record of background checks to maintain their own list. But that's for a different tinfoil hat rant... :smilelol5:

http://www.examiner.com/article/gun-own ... MSkHN.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So they say the NRA has a database on all gun owners

Post by baldeagle »

That's an apples to oranges comparison. The NRA has no power over me that I don't give it. The government does.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

baldeagle wrote:That's an apples to oranges comparison. The NRA has no power over me that I don't give it. The government does.
Well yes it is apples to oranges and that was kind of my point. But if the NRA is making and keeping a running list of all gun owners whether they're a NRA member or not that's a whole other animal. Just because they're on our side doesn't make it any less intrusive. (Playing Devils advocate) It is my choice to be a member and let my info be known to them but if I was not a member and found out (as the article states) they had what firearms classes I have been to, what weapons I owned etc... I don't know if I'd be too hip to being on that list. The ends dont always justify because we really don't know who has access to the data (if it in fact exists).
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Any article that starts off like this...
With all the fear mongering by Republicans, right wing media and the National Rifle Association (NRA) on reasons why our nation should not have a national background check system for gun buyers, even with 90 percent of the nation in favor of it, the NRA said no, and every Republican in the Senate and even a few Democrats voted in favor of the NRA and against the demands of our nations citizens.
... is nothing more than a pack of lies.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Pawpaw wrote:Any article that starts off like this...
With all the fear mongering by Republicans, right wing media and the National Rifle Association (NRA) on reasons why our nation should not have a national background check system for gun buyers, even with 90 percent of the nation in favor of it, the NRA said no, and every Republican in the Senate and even a few Democrats voted in favor of the NRA and against the demands of our nations citizens.
... is nothing more than a pack of lies.
Exactly! The article is one lie after another. I wish we had a database of all gun owners so we could make direct contact with somewhere around 125 - 150 million Americans (not just the 80 million who will still tell a stranger they own a gun). The NRA has its own membership list (5 million +, not 3 million as the liar stated). We probably do buy mailing/emailing lists from people, but that's hardly a database as implied. We have no information on what guns people own.

Using the Examiner as a data source is like asking a liberal Democrat what he/she thinks about something. I would say lying liberal Democrat, but that would be redundant.

Chas.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasCajun »

:iagree:
That article was complete bunk. The NRA maintains membership information, as would any group. This is simply the left trying desperately to create a mess where none exists. The only remarkable thing about this is that it less is know that the occupant's acolytes are still out there working against us & against freedom. As I said a while back, this is going to be a long fight with many battles.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

just to put on my own tinfoil hat what is to keep a government from seizing all the databases of any gun related industry and using that info to go after gun owners
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

suthdj wrote:just to put on my own tinfoil hat what is to keep a government from seizing all the databases of any gun related industry and using that info to go after gun owners
Thermite? :evil2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

suthdj wrote:just to put on my own tinfoil hat what is to keep a government from seizing all the databases of any gun related industry and using that info to go after gun owners
The United States Supreme Court.

Chas.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
The United States Supreme Court.

Chas.

Let me rephrase that What’s to keep a tyrannical Government or foreign Government from seizing all the databases. After all we saw from the NSA I don't think the SCOTUS is going to be able to do much anyway, it was all legal and approved.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Medic624 wrote:
baldeagle wrote:That's an apples to oranges comparison. The NRA has no power over me that I don't give it. The government does.
Well yes it is apples to oranges and that was kind of my point. But if the NRA is making and keeping a running list of all gun owners whether they're a NRA member or not that's a whole other animal. Just because they're on our side doesn't make it any less intrusive. (Playing Devils advocate) It is my choice to be a member and let my info be known to them but if I was not a member and found out (as the article states) they had what firearms classes I have been to, what weapons I owned etc... I don't know if I'd be too hip to being on that list. The ends dont always justify because we really don't know who has access to the data (if it in fact exists).
How on earth would NRA know who a gunowner is, unless that person joined NRA? Just sayin'......

It's a myth. Example: you never buy a gun, but you inherit one from your cousin Mickey's uncle Joe who died, and left you the old pepperbox pistol inherited from his great grandfather. Does NRA know about you? I don't think so.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Medic624 wrote:
How on earth would NRA know who a gunowner is, unless that person joined NRA? Just sayin'......

It's a myth. Example: you never buy a gun, but you inherit one from your cousin Mickey's uncle Joe who died, and left you the old pepperbox pistol inherited from his great grandfather. Does NRA know about you? I don't think so.
No. But WalMart and most every other retail outlet tracks when you buy Twinkies (and everything else) if you pay with plastic. Just wait 'til Michelle Obama's anti-obesity group finds out they can get a list of potential obese citizens to target. :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

They are simply trying to use our healthy distrust of the government to fight the NRA. Likening a membership list to what the NSA was doing is classic liberal misinformation & outright lies. Part of creating an organization is maintaining communication with the membership. I'd love to hear how a 5 million member organization is supposed to accomplish that without a database.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

At least the NSA doesn't provide their database to every commercial come on that wants to solicit, credit cards, insurance, investment schemes, and a lot more. I've opted out of all these irritations but I still get them. The only way to end this is to not renew, it seems.

When I went through this with AOPA, I even offered to pay extra to not be on the mailing lists they sold, to no avail. I finally cancelled my membership and had them erase all evidence of my existence from their records. After a few years, I didn't get anymore mail or e-mails.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I'm in the NRA's database and have been for quite some time. :patriot:

What's the problem?

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”