please help need to respond to anti gunner about this articl

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

please help need to respond to anti gunner about this articl

Post by philip964 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/1 ... 24063.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone see this. An anti-gunner has called me out on this on Facebook and I wanted a good come back. Any thoughts.

puma guy

Re: please help need to respond to anti gunner about this ar

Post by puma guy »

I wouldn't bother with any one or any thing on Huffington. They wouldn't post any information regarding the Colorado recall for days. I always counter the absurd argument that gun ownership leads to more murder by asking why the murder rates were so low when just about EVERY home in America had a firearm in our first and most of the second century of the country's existence.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EEllis »

So what is what I would say. The study describes a correlation not causal relationship. Someone will look and say it's because guns but you could just as easily postulate the gun are a response to the violence not the violence to the guns. Using a study like that in that manner is either ignorance or dishonesty.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

philip964 wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/1 ... 24063.html

Anyone see this. An anti-gunner has called me out on this on Facebook and I wanted a good come back. Any thoughts.
You can't get through to these type of people. They repeatedly deny hard cold facts and make up their own statistics. You might as well talk to the wall, you will get it to understand more than those anti-gunners ever will. :mad5
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

More stupidity by "researchers". The first thing you do when you come across this kind of shenanigans is check John Lott. He pretty much eviscerates the study.

Here's my take on it.

Look at the homicide rates by state.

States that have strict gun control laws:
California - 4.8
Illinois - 5.6
Massachusetts - 2.8

States that have "loose" gun control laws:
Florida - 5.2
Oklahoma - 5.5
Texas - 4.4

From these numbers it should be obvious that the gun control laws have little impact on the homicide rate. Oh wait, their study shows that higher rates of gun ownership lead to higher firearm homicide rates. Ah, but according to John Lott, they never looked at gun ownership rates.
Using state level data the study claims a positive relationship between the percentage of suicides committed with guns (they call this the gun ownership rate rather than what it actually is) and the firearm homicide rate.
So a state with high suicide with gun rates is considered to be a high gun ownership state? That's called manipulating data to get the outcome you're looking for. Where's the data that shows that lower firearm ownership rates lead to lower overall suicide rates (not lower firearm suicide rates.) It stands to reason that lower firearm access will lead to lower firearm suicide rates, but does it lead to lower overall suicide rates? Apparently not.

Studies of suicide rates are ambiguous as to causes. This one shows that 54% of suicides are committed with a firearm. Do the researchers really want to say that we could eliminate 54% of all suicides by getting rid of guns? That's laughable. People don't commit suicide because they have a gun. They commit suicide because they are suicidal. The gun is just a handy instrument of death.

Let's look at suicide rates by state independent of firearm suicides for the same six states I arbitrarily picked earlier.
Callifornia - 10.5
Florida - 14.8
Illinois - 9.2
Massachusetts - 9.1
Oklahoma - 16.5
Texas - 11.5

So while Illinois has one of the lower suicide rates it has one of the highest homicide rates. A legitimate scholarly study would account for those kinds of anomalies.

It makes you wonder if the authors of this study first read this study which found, among other things:
The nine states that rank lowest in terms of gun prevalence are the very same nine that rank lowest for suicide rates. Similarly, the three states top-ranked for gun prevalence can be found among the four states ranking highest for suicide rates.
Aha! Perfect data to prove our preexisting theory!

One last comment. There's an elephant in this study that they never mention.
for each 1 percentage point increase in proportion of Black population, firearm homicide rate increased by 5.2%
Maybe, just maybe, gun homicides have a stronger correlation to crime rates than they do to gun ownership?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

baldeagle wrote:More stupidity by "researchers". The first thing you do when you come across this kind of shenanigans is check John Lott. He pretty much eviscerates the study.

Here's my take on it.

California - 4.8
Illinois - 5.6
Massachusetts - 2.8

Florida - 5.2
Oklahoma - 5.5
Texas - 4.4

From these numbers it should be obvious that the gun control laws have little impact on the homicide rate. Oh wait, their study shows that higher rates of gun ownership lead to higher firearm homicide rates. Ah, but according to John Lott, they never looked at gun ownership rates.
Using state level data the study claims a positive relationship between the percentage of suicides committed with guns (they call this the gun ownership rate rather than what it actually is) and the firearm homicide rate.
So a state with high suicide with gun rates is considered to be a high gun ownership state? That's called manipulating data to get the outcome you're looking for. Where's the data that shows that lower firearm ownership rates lead to lower overall suicide rates (not lower firearm suicide rates.) It stands to reason that lower firearm access will lead to lower firearm suicide rates, but does it lead to lower overall suicide rates? Apparently not.

Studies of suicide rates are ambiguous as to causes. This one shows that 54% of suicides are committed with a firearm. Do the researchers really want to say that we could eliminate 54% of all suicides by getting rid of guns? That's laughable. People don't commit suicide because they have a gun. They commit suicide because they are suicidal. The gun is just a handy instrument of death.

Let's look at suicide rates by state independent of firearm suicides for the same six states I arbitrarily picked earlier.
Callifornia - 10.5
Florida - 14.8
Illinois - 9.2
Massachusetts - 9.1
Oklahoma - 16.5
Texas - 11.5

So while Illinois has one of the lower suicide rates it has one of the highest homicide rates. A legitimate scholarly study would account for those kinds of anomalies.

It makes you wonder if the authors of this study first read this study which found, among other things:
The nine states that rank lowest in terms of gun prevalence are the very same nine that rank lowest for suicide rates. Similarly, the three states top-ranked for gun prevalence can be found among the four states ranking highest for suicide rates.

for each 1 percentage point increase in proportion of Black population, firearm homicide rate increased by 5.2%
Maybe, just maybe, gun homicides have a stronger correlation to crime rates than they do to gun ownership?
Thank you for your help. I used this for my reply.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

philip964 wrote:
baldeagle wrote:More stupidity by "researchers". The first thing you do when you come across this kind of shenanigans is check John Lott. He pretty much eviscerates the study.

Here's my take on it.

California - 4.8
Illinois - 5.6
Massachusetts - 2.8

Florida - 5.2
Oklahoma - 5.5
Texas - 4.4

Callifornia - 10.5
Florida - 14.8
Illinois - 9.2
Massachusetts - 9.1
Oklahoma - 16.5
Texas - 11.5

Thank you for your help. I used this for my reply.
Knowing Huffington some Moderator will delete you post anyway.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Don't waste your time. Go do something more productive like discuss Kantian epistemology with a brick wall.
Byron Dickens

Robert*PPS

Post by Robert*PPS »

I don't necessarily think it is a waste of time to respond. Who knows, you may plant a seed. The chances are low, but the cost is low as well.

I would point the person to another study conducted by Harvard Law that contradicts this one. The study is called, "Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide". The study basically debunks any direct relation between the two. Now of course, the study that's in the story listed by the OP links gun ownership with "gun-related" homicides. Not exactly the same thing, but I would argue that the comparison itself is a moot point. It's the only way they can insinuate a link because if you compare gun ownership with all homicide rates, then the link disappears.

At any rate, this link should be shown to every anti. It was posted by another forum user in another topic. I would just post the topic...but not sure how to do that. :oops:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/org ... online.pdf

And a story about the study....

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... _3Fw_3D369

Original props to Bdickens.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Homicide rate is higher in California than in Texas? Why?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Thought I just saw a news article today where the FBI declared Chicago as the "muder capital" of the US?????
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”