Straus buying support?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 8

Straus buying support?

Post by mojo84 »

http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/a ... 84d95dc057" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Straus leadership PAC spends big to defend incumbents

By David Saleh Rauf Austin Bureau

February 25, 2014 | Updated: February 25, 2014 10:08pm

Express-News 2013

House Speaker Joe Straus and the PAC he leads are donating to GOP incumbents facing tea party candidates.

AUSTIN — A political action committee led by House Speaker Joe Straus has pumped more than $300,000 into the coffers of incumbent Republicans in an attempt to fend off a wave of ultra-conservative candidates vying for control of the lower chamber.

For the past two legislative sessions, Straus, R-San Antonio, has wielded the Texas House Leadership Fund to bolster the campaign coffers of sitting GOP members who often have been challenged by tea party candidates funded by outside groups with big money.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Straus buying support?

Post by The Marshal »

I'm sorry, which Party does Mr. Straus belong to again?
:mad5

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

The Marshal wrote:I'm sorry, which Party does Mr. Straus belong to again?
:mad5
He belongs to the Straus party.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm not a Straus supporter, but the Speaker always has a PAC and he uses it to help incumbents in his party. Democrats and Republicans do it, however I wouldn't be surprised to find that Straus also help Democrats since he needs all of them to keep the gavel.

Chas.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Interesting. I figured that was the case. Just seemed like quite a bit of money from what I've heard, I think you are right about him sharing across the isle. Doesn't seem right to me though. Appears to create a conflict of interest and undue influence.

The more I learn about this stuff the lessI like.
Last edited by mojo84 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

What candidates on the current ballot are Tea Party candidates?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

http://www.texastribune.org/library/dat ... ship-fund/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

mojo84 wrote:Interesting. I figured that was the case. Just seemed like quite a bit of money from what I've heard, I think you are right about him sharing across the isle. Doesn't seem right to me though. Appears to create a conflict of interest and undue influence.

The more I learn about this stuff the lessI like.
Euuuw! What's that smell? Oh, it's politics, I thought for a moment that uh,.....er,...someone had soiled themselves.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

sjfcontrol wrote:What candidates on the current ballot are Tea Party candidates?
http://www.netarrantteaparty.com/2014/0 ... eadership/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NETTP List Link: Opens PDF : http://www.netarrantteaparty.com/wp-con ... -flyer.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those not in the DFW area, check with your local Tea Party organization for the local answer to SJ's question.
http://teapartyorg.ning.com/page/tea-party-groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.teapartypatriots.org/local-new/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (search by zip code at top of page) or,
http://www.teapartypatriots.org/groups? ... AL&s=TEXAS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

The District 121 primary may the most important vote for conservative issues in the coming 18 months.

Have you reminded yourself of this fact today?
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

gringo pistolero wrote:The District 121 primary may the most important vote for conservative issues in the coming 18 months.

Have you reminded yourself of this fact today?
Unfortunately, Joe Straus is unbeatable in his District. He's probably unbeatable for Speaker of the House also, so the real question is whether Pickett will be Chairman of the House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee.

Chas.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Need term limits.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote:Need term limits.
I disagree. I like my elected officials and I don't want other people deciding how long I can keep them in office. I also don't want to lose pro-gun folks or have people unresponsive to our issue because they won't be there long.

Chas.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I understand. Many feel the same way. Many don't. I don't believe it's good for our state or country to have life long politicians that become more interested in getting reelected indefinitely than doing what HSA right.

I do not know much about this publication or which poll the article refers to. However, if accurate, the lion share of the voters favor term limits and an even larger percentage want the opportunity to vote on it. http://www.texasobserver.org/ignoring-y ... /?mobile=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by mojo84 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jason K »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Need term limits.
I disagree. I like my elected officials and I don't want other people deciding how long I can keep them in office. I also don't want to lose pro-gun folks or have people unresponsive to our issue because they won't be there long.
I agree. Instead, maybe we need to start educating voters in districts with politicians like Strauss....and, by educating, I mean spending money to help opponents to beat bad pols--no matter what party.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”