Recent jury verdict after mob beating near A&M

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recent jury verdict after mob beating near A&M

Post by C-dub »

If this verdict stands up on appeal, is this a game changer when it comes to a businesses responsibility for our safety regarding attacks by an outside actor? I'm talking about a common argument here that if a place posts a 30.06 sign prohibiting us from carrying and we are unable to effectively defend ourselves if attacked. Does this open the door for other lawsuits?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I've never heard of this. This is crazy.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

C-dub wrote:If this verdict stands up on appeal, is this a game changer when it comes to a businesses responsibility for our safety regarding attacks by an outside actor? I'm talking about a common argument here that if a place posts a 30.06 sign prohibiting us from carrying and we are unable to effectively defend ourselves if attacked. Does this open the door for other lawsuits?
There was a recent ruling in the Colorado theater shooting where the judge said that the theater owners could have reasonably foreseen this act happening and could be held liable. These two rulings together, if they hold up on appeal, could mean big business for the contract security companies.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cb1000rider »

Texas_Blaze wrote: How do you conclude that Ward was killed in an accident? :headscratch
I missed that part... I saw that he made it into a car and off the site and then they were involved in a major accident.
Again, I'm just shocked about this. I've been to that location about 1000 times. And the local bars, well, I'd expect the race-based tension to very much go the other way.

I don't know what a business can do here.. It's not exactly the McDonalds parking lot, it's a huge lot that is open to probably 6 other businesses.

And I'm not sure that carrying, especially when facing a mob, would have made any difference.. I guess it couldn't have really gone any worse.

What shocks me more, apparently the only criminal justice here was a 90-day sentence.... Maybe the 26M will help make up that difference.

Just wow.

ELB

Post by ELB »

McDonald's has appealed the verdict: http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/McDo ... 91811.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

ELB wrote:McDonald's has appealed the verdict: http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/McDo ... 91811.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not a surprise....

....BTW, has anyone been by that McDonalds recently? Is it still the "happening nightspot" that it was on the date in question?

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

This story got almost no media coverage but if the officer had shot one of those thugs, the media would have had a field day with it. Soon after, the "protests" would have begun.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

ELB

Post by ELB »

Disregard. Got my dates mixed up. :eek6 No news on the appeal...
USAF 1982-2005

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlh »

I did some digging and found the case in the tenth court of appeals...At least I think it is the case.. The appellate cause no. is 10-15-00066-CV.

The case appears to be "pending."

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Case.asp ... &coa=coa10

dlh
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

College Station is just like any other place. I knew kid that were killed due to color (white) back in the 70's

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

MONGOOSE wrote:College Station is just like any other place. I knew kid that were killed due to color (white) back in the 70's
I don't know that it's like any other place that I've lived, except maybe another relatively isolated college town. It's basically out in the middle of no where and the university supports most of the town. What surrounds it is a larger less educated and more diverse demographic not to mention a substantial prison system. The farther back you go, the less industry / opportunity there was other than that associated with the university.

I've lived in both parts of town.

The A&M culture is deeply rooted in tradition and largely conservative values - this may clash with other segments.

The place that this happened at is right across campus, literally 1 block from the engineering campus - well into the "college" part of town. I've been there many many times and it wasn't ever a place that I felt was slightly dangerous. Perhaps the demographics have changed? It seems to have stemmed from a cultural clash - I can't call it racism, but it was something like that and certainly mob mentality.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

cb1000rider wrote:It seems to have stemmed from a cultural clash - I can't call it racism, but it was something like that and certainly mob mentality.
If you can't call this racism, then racism doesn't exist in your world.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

I think this goes to situational awareness . Those kids should have never stopped. There has always been a great divide between the black local kids and the college students

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

baldeagle wrote: If you can't call this racism, then racism doesn't exist in your world.
I'll be specific then. It might have been more about cowboy hats than color. It's hate, either way.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Engineer, graduated in 2011. This McDonald's is 50 yards across from the engineering buildings on campus. I had my fair share of fun around there (dance hall 300 yards away) and stopped at that Mcdonald's at all times of the week (late night thursday/friday/saturday) be it from having a good time or studying late on campus. I never saw more than 4-5 African Americans in the store as customers, at any given time. So the crowd can definitely be attributed to Butler. I bet somewhere between 90-95% of the mob was from Bryan, not College Station, as well.
Hard to do much when you're outnumbered like that, sidearm or not.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”