Rethinking EDC

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 7

Rethinking EDC

Post by Excaliber »

ISIS has announced that it will "drown America in blood."

The secretary of defense has said they represent a threat greater than any we've ever seen, and to "get ready" for their attacks.

A former secretary of defense has stated he wouldn't be surprised to see a jihadist AK47 attack in a mall.

A U.S. senator has said that ISIS is developing plans to blow up a large American city.

The president has removed all effective border defenses and invited anyone to cross our southern border at will. People from dozens of countries, including those in the Middle East, are streaming across the border unimpeded. His TSA is also now allowing illegal aliens with no verifiable identification to fly on US airlines and is distributing them throughout the country.

This might be a good time to reconsider where to go and not go, when to carry, and what is an appropriate weapon choice / ammunition load for being out and about in these changing times.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Rethinking EDC

Post by carlson1 »

I have already changed my EDC and my wife has also. I travel a lot between DFW and East Texas so I have added to my travel bag extra AR magazines.

This is an excellent thread.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've typically got (3) 15-round magazines and one in the pipe with me. If that isn't enough, at least I hope to go down with a pile of empty brass at my feet.

Periodically, I get tempted by the small single stack pocket nines. Never end up buying one, because I know I would end up carrying it. I've always carried full size handguns, like my 5" 1911 or full size M&P.

Haven't added a long gun option to the car yet. We'd have to have open conflict for me to take that route.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Even those of us this far away are very concerned. I am home 85% of the time. I worry for my husband who has to work down town and can carry no more than a small pocket knife at his job.

I tell you what, this has changed my gun buying plans a bit. I never intended on owning anything more than handguns and shotties. I now see a possible need for heavier armament. Especially considering the eunuch we have in the presidents chair.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

carlson1 wrote:This is an excellent thread.
Yes it is. I suspect our churches will be an even better target for these lowlife than are malls. Not only can they kill American, they can kill American Christians. Sadly, most folks will view this as a "Chicken Little" rant.

Chas.

RJGold
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RJGold »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Yes it is. I suspect our churches will be an even better target for these lowlife than are malls. Not only can they kill American, they can kill American Christians. Sadly, most folks will view this as a "Chicken Little" rant.

Chas.
I agree. When I first started carrying I was very uncomfortable carrying at Church. I don't go to Church now without carrying. My view is that if someone is going to attack a church, I want to be armed.

I usually carry an XDm 9 compact with the 13 round mag plus one 13 round spare mag. I usually carry an additional 2 - 19 round mags in my vehicle when I travel.

I bought an AR last year and keep it plus a few hundred rounds of ammo (loaded into 30 round mags) in a bug out bag.

I hope I never have to use it but I agree that these are unsettling times and we could see attacks (maybe even battles) on our home turf.

My two cents...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

eureka40
Posts in topic: 3

Post by eureka40 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I couldn't agree more. I think this thread will generate some good ideas.
TSRA Life Memeber

jmra

Post by jmra »

I'm in a tough spot. Working at a school I am not protected by the parking lot law. Probably would never be an issue but... So 5 days a week I'm not carrying even in the truck.
When I can carry it's been a G26. Need to add another mag when carrying and a couple mags in the truck.
My biggest concern is an event during a Church service. We desperately need a change to the security regs preventing safety team volunteers with CHLs from carrying.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

ISIS may help arm America.

My fairly liberal cousin and her husband are buying guns and taking firearms training.

In Massachusetts of all places.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

My son just went to a small private Christian university in the Dallas area. Campus carry has moved way up my priority list now. Churches and Christian schools seem like highly likely targets for the Islamic terrorists.

I think all of us, especially Jews and Christians need to be on alert at all times when in public and make sure you are as prepared as possible.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Unless I start carrying my M4 and some spare mags around in one of those non-firearm looking bags I'm probably already carrying as much as I can. And I already carry everywhere I can legally, so no change there either. Although, I have considered one of those non-firearm looking bags like a bat bag or something specifically designed to carry an M4 and spare mags. I just haven't gotten one yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

I only carry my AR when I leave town. When I arrive at my destination I take it out of the truck and store it. I am afraid to leave my AR in the vehicle here in DFW. I have considered leaving one in my office at the church.

My daily carry is Glock 19 with 1 extra mag and a S&W J Frame sometimes with a speed strip, but most of the time no extra speed strip.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

I carry at church, and everywhere I can legally. I believe in protecting myself. However, I also believe in the hedge of protection I find in my faith.

I am not afraid of any ISIS threats, just like I am not afraid of any home invasion or any other act of evil, and I am certain mostly everyone on this forum feels the same.

Be strong and courageous. Be prepared, be vigilant, be aware, and live in freedom.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

My daily carry of 1911 in 357sig with one extra mag on me, with bolt action 7mm-08 and pump 12ga in truck. May start toting my tennis racket case with the Uzi and extra mags in it in the truck also.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Maybe it's time to have that STI Modular Frame 1911 built in 9X23! With two extra mags on the belt, that would give me something like 66 rounds or so. (Hey Martha, it's so I can better protect you!)

Chas.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”