A real President, a Real American, God how I miss him!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A real President, a Real American, God how I miss him!

Post by Jim Beaux »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Other than Reagan supporting the assault weapons ban in 1994 and ultimately giving it the push needed to pass he was a great president.
Now that's a low blow. Reagan was suffering from Alzheimer's at the time he wrote the letter. His letter was hardly the "push needed to pass" it.

Chas.
Im not sure who authored the letter, but I think Reagan merely added his signature to the same one that was also signed by Ford & carter.

Reagan was a gracious & principled man. He was also loyal though a bit hen pecked. Nancy was a shrew and on certain matters he often obliged her just to shut her up. (he also would yank her chain & bring her to heal from time to time) She did have a strong influence on him.

Im still unable to determine what dynamics came into play in his signing the support letter. As memory serves; there was supposedly a bit of emotional black mail & lobbying from Sarah Brady, who had also enlisted the help of Nancy. I also believe that Reagan had diminished capacity years before he sign this letter in 1994, the same year he announce his affliction.

There are many arguments as to when Reagan first started showing signs of Alzheimer's. His liberwhack son Ron has stated he saw signs during the presidency. His other son Michael says he never saw any signs & his brother is a disgrace for such unfounded comments.

I understand that when Reagan was governor of Calif he also push some kind of gun control law that was intended to combat the violent Black Panthers of the day. Regardless of his position on this issue, it will not diminish my respect or gratitude I hold for him.

Ive read a few books about Reagan including his autobiography. He was very well regarded by those who privately knew him. He was an wonderful man with an amazing intellect & a very sharp wit. He was generous & often sent money to strangers who wrote to him for help. (he wanted it kept confidential) I will never forget how he nurtured pride in being an American. He walked his own path & was a leader of America. I would have been honored to have met him.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nightmare69 »

I wrote a paper on Reagan in college and all I can sum it up by saying, what a man.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Today is the 50th Anniversary of the Conservative Revolution (some say ;-) ).

On 27 October, 1964 the speech "A Time For Choosing", in support of Goldwaters Presidential campaign, launched Reagan's political career.

[youtube][/youtube]
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RoyGBiv wrote:Today is the 50th Anniversary of the Conservative Revolution (some say ;-) ).

On 27 October, 1964 the speech "A Time For Choosing", in support of Goldwaters Presidential campaign, launched Reagan's political career.

[youtube][/youtube]
It's a shame folks didn't listen. Goldwater was not the radical he was portrayed to be and Johnson was not only a sorry President, he was a sorry excuse for a man -- especially a Texan.

Chas.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Thank you for posting that, RoyGBiv. I was 11 when he delivered that speech, so I had never heard it in it's entirety.

It chilled me to the bone how relevant his words are today. At what point do we say, "ENOUGH!"?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

We've fixed exactly nothing since this day 50 years ago.
Reagan gave us a temporary lull. Reduced the rate of government growth. Bought us some time and 2 decades of peace.

It's impossible to listen to this speech and not see nearly every word as still relevant today. Prescient.

RIP Sir. Godspeed. You are sorely missed.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mr surveyor »

I was still a pre-teen when the Great Communicator made that speech, and I became a big fan of "AuH2O". I really believe we would not have been anywhere near the sorry condition we are in today if Goldwater had been elected back then .... and then when his time came, "RR" could have continued the improvements

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

mr surveyor wrote:I was still a pre-teen when the Great Communicator made that speech, and I became a big fan of "AuH2O". I really believe we would not have been anywhere near the sorry condition we are in today if Goldwater had been elected back then .... and then when his time came, "RR" could have continued the improvements
jd
:iagree:

I was a Sr. in high school when he ran, and listened to his speeches. He made so much sense to me. We would have been in a much different position now, if he would have won.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

HankB

Post by HankB »

I voted for Reagan - twice. In fact, during my lifetime he was the only candidate for POTUS that I was able to vote for; in every other election - without exception - I held my nose, suppressed my gag reflex, and cast a ballot against what I thought was the greater evil, knowing that the lesser evil that got my vote was still evil.

But Reagan certainly did NOT walk on water like some people think - he made a number of blunders, from the ROEs of the troops he sent to Beirut to instituting taxation of Social Security retirement benefits.

And then of course there's this little tidbit:

[video][/video]
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”