Will the ATF try to ban ALL rifle ammo?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 6

Will the ATF try to ban ALL rifle ammo?

Post by VMI77 »

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2015/03/ ... green-tip/
So speculation of course ran wild as to the exact intent of the ATF. Are they stupid? Do they not really understand the technical issues they are dealing with? But today B. Todd Jones answered those questions. They are concerned about all 5.56 mm cartridges. Of course they are. But that .270 pointed soft point, shot from a necked down 30-06 cartridge from my bolt action deer hunting rifle? Yes, that’s the one. It will penetrate soft body armor too – lead ball, soft point, all of it. So will lead ball 30-06. So will lead ball .308. So will lead ball 7 mm. Virtually all rifle rounds (except .22LR and .22 WMR) will penetrate soft body armor because kevlar is specified to 9 mm rounds (as regards mass and velocity).

Jones knows that. The ATF at large knows that. What Jones is telling the Congress is that he wants their help in banning rifle ammunition. Rifle ammunition. All of it. They will start with 5.56 mm ammunition, green tip, lead ball, pointed soft point – all of it. Then they will make it clear that all other rifle ammunition is as lethal as 5.56 mm ammunition, so they need a ban on that too

Of course this is just someone's opinion, but in light of the recent SC decision giving regulators a free hand to "reinterpret" regulations, it's hard to dismiss this as a possibility. A year ago I would have said it couldn't happen, but with our gutless Republican Congress and a lawless administration untethered by morality or the Constitution I have zero confidence that reason or right will prevail. It would be a gun grabbers dream....
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Will the ATF try to ban ALL rifle ammo?

Post by joe817 »

It's certainly conceivable that they WILL try to ban all rifle ammo. But I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Big Bend that they would even come close to succeeding. I think the current administration is counting down its days, before we elect a repub. pres. and they are scrambling to try to push as many of their agenda items through as possible.

But I also think that common sense will prevail, and 'they' will be fought, tooth and nail on every agenda item, and will ultimately fail.

There! How's THAT for optomism? :cool: :mrgreen:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

BobCat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BobCat »

joe817, I think your optimism is realistic. Not implying that we should relax and "not worry about it" or let our guard down, but just be aware and ready to write our representatives and raise a fuss if the .gov starts going wild again.

I think I've posted this before, but there was a time a few years ago when the "gun control" push had really gotten me down. Was talking to my brother, who said something like, "They have been at this since Kennedy was shot - you remember it well. They got GCA 68, and they got the 94 AWB - but right now you and I both have more guns and better guns than we ever had before, and we have CHLs that we *never* thought would ever get, so calm down."

The push to disarm the population will never cease, just as the push for totalitarian control of many facets of our lives will never cease. But if we push back, every success they have will be short-lived. If we continue to be pro-active, their successes will never materialize.

At this point the US has exactly zero states without some kind of concealed carry law. I know, many of them are on paper only, not really working (Chicago, DC, etc.) but the laws were passed, they are on the books, and if people in those states work hard they will win.

Everybody knows that virtually all centerfire rifle calibers will defeat the current body armor issued to police - forgive me for not knowing "Level this-or-that" - but trying to ban all rifle ammunition based on that is like trying to ban the sale of large cups of carbonated sugar-water (as in NYC) - once it gets to court it gets thrown out.

Sorry to run on and on... but I want to encourage optimism along with continued vigilance.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 6

Post by VMI77 »

joe817 wrote:It's certainly conceivable that they WILL try to ban all rifle ammo. But I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Big Bend that they would even come close to succeeding. I think the current administration is counting down its days, before we elect a repub. pres. and they are scrambling to try to push as many of their agenda items through as possible.

But I also think that common sense will prevail, and 'they' will be fought, tooth and nail on every agenda item, and will ultimately fail.

There! How's THAT for optomism? :cool: :mrgreen:
I don't disagree, but OTOH, this is the most dishonest and corrupt administration in US history --the Nixon administration was a bunch of Boy Scouts compared to this cabal of criminals-- and at the same time our current Republican Congress appears to be the most cowardly bunch of Republicans ever elected (and that's quite a feat). If nothing else I suspect it would be overturned in the Courts, which are now basically, and somewhat ironically, the last hope for the remaining vestiges of Constitutional government. Yet one change on the SC could have serious repercussions for the 2nd Amendment. The current confluence of corruption and cowardice gives me cause for concern.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

joe817 wrote: I think the current administration is counting down its days, before we elect a repub. pres. and they are scrambling to try to push as many of their agenda items through as possible.
You're absolutely right. Obama's days are numbered, and he knows it. This gives him to push anything and everything he can with no ramifications. He can't be elected again, so why not do as much damage as he can before he leaves?
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

mr1337 wrote:
joe817 wrote: I think the current administration is counting down its days, before we elect a repub. pres. and they are scrambling to try to push as many of their agenda items through as possible.
You're absolutely right. Obama's days are numbered, and he knows it. This gives him to push anything and everything he can with no ramifications. He can't be elected again, so why not do as much damage as he can before he leaves?
Expect the progressives to try and keep Barry for a third term. I have heard this in multiple places. If you think the fact that it is unconstitutional would prevent it think again.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

joe817

Post by joe817 »

anygunanywhere wrote: Expect the progressives to try and keep Barry for a third term. I have heard this in multiple places. If you think the fact that it is unconstitutional would prevent it think again.
I sincerely believe that there is a quiet, low key, understated, festering unrest with any American who has any sense what so ever. I also believe that if that insane notion ever gained even one ounce of support, the festering will rise to the surface, and squash that notion in a blink of an eye.

In fact[not to get on my soapbox, but I will since you insist, lol], I'm quite surprised that I have not heard any movement underway to impeach the current incumbent chief executive. There was such a movement with Nixon, and Clinton during their term in office, and what they did was NOTHING compared to what this guy has done in the years he's been in office. I mean, subrogating the Constitution, Bill of Rights, the American public to his desires. Not the nation....not the citizens....not his party....not anyone, but his own personal agenda......unfathonable!

I would welcome talks of impeachment, in the press, on TV, in the Halls of Congress. If nothing but to uncover what the true end game motives are for this.....person.

God Bless America, and God Bless Texas. :patriot: :txflag:

{ I'll get off my soapbox now }
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Oh, they'll run this up the flag pole as often as they can until they get what they want or are out of power. I just don't think many people will salute it and hopefully, not enough. The idea that they will try this is all over the place.

679 DTG!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

joe817 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote: Expect the progressives to try and keep Barry for a third term. I have heard this in multiple places. If you think the fact that it is unconstitutional would prevent it think again.
I sincerely believe that there is a quiet, low key, understated, festering unrest with any American who has any sense what so ever. I also believe that if that insane notion ever gained even one ounce of support, the festering will rise to the surface, and squash that notion in a blink of an eye.

In fact[not to get on my soapbox, but I will since you insist, lol], I'm quite surprised that I have not heard any movement underway to impeach the current incumbent chief executive. There was such a movement with Nixon, and Clinton during their term in office, and what they did was NOTHING compared to what this guy has done in the years he's been in office. I mean, subrogating the Constitution, Bill of Rights, the American public to his desires. Not the nation....not the citizens....not his party....not anyone, but his own personal agenda......unfathonable!

I would welcome talks of impeachment, in the press, on TV, in the Halls of Congress. If nothing but to uncover what the true end game motives are for this.....person.

God Bless America, and God Bless Texas. :patriot: :txflag:

{ I'll get off my soapbox now }
Impeachment is done by the senate. The so-called GOP just took control of the senate, but impeachment requires a 2/3 majority vote. It will never happen. The legislature has better things to do, not that they will ever do those things.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

joe817

Post by joe817 »

anygunanywhere wrote:Impeachment is done by the senate. The so-called GOP just took control of the senate, but impeachment requires a 2/3 majority vote. It will never happen. The legislature has better things to do, not that they will ever do those things.
They do? With all that has been done to America over his term, I cannot think of anything more pressing....IMO.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What I think is that if they ban all .223/5.56 ammo first, and then all rifle ammo, they are going to have the fight they never thought would happen. I'm not turning in any of my ammo. Period.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PBR

Post by PBR »

Honestly as others have stated I put nothing pass them. Me and friends had talked many years ago about them possibly banning hollow points, friend of mine thought they would try it long time ago cause of hollow points causing more damage and being more for killing than just wounding, I don't put that past them.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

sbrawley wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:What I think is that if they ban all .223/5.56 ammo first, and then all rifle ammo, they are going to have the fight they never thought would happen. I'm not turning in any of my ammo. Period.
+1
I sold all my ammo
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:What I think is that if they ban all .223/5.56 ammo first, and then all rifle ammo, they are going to have the fight they never thought would happen. I'm not turning in any of my ammo. Period.
Me either. Not one single round...
III

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”