Gunpoint average? Funny or just sad?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 1

Gunpoint average? Funny or just sad?

Post by Texsquatch »

Why didn't I think of this when I was in college? Oh, I know! Because I was a responsible, law abiding citizen! I wasn't out to intimidate anyone. I would think instructors would be cautious of any irate student since there have been attacks before open carry.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/04/gu ... inflation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beiruty

Re: Gunpoint average? Funny or just sad?

Post by Beiruty »

So many guns out there, why no one did it so far? or if it did happen why no one talked about it? If so, why it is news anyway?
I guess it's the miserable status of mentality of the anti-gun wackos. :bigmouth
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

fickman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fickman »

I was coming here to post the very thing. It's amazing how out of touch with reality this professor is. Mindless rhetoric.

So, do all customers get comped meals at restaurants because they "might be armed and come back and shoot the waiter or chef for an overcooked steak or for being charged for that extra ramekin of bleu cheese?"

She clearly has no concept for the CHL process. Or of the definition of "concealed". Or of the CHL population demographics.

Also, there are other logical fallacies:
- I'm supposed to believe that a student, arguing for better grades, presumably because they are concerned about their future, would threaten a teacher or actually shoot a teacher to get this better grade, thus completely throwing away their entire future?

- In a typical undergrad setting, it is far more likely that the professor (or TA) will, in fact, be armed than a student.

- Don't get me started on the terrible reputations of those unruly, trigger-happy graduate students.
Native Texian

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Well...I'm not surprised. She is a sociology professor at a womens university.

I guess she also hasn't thought of the fact that a student could come arguing for grades and happen to be carrying a knife, club or any of a number of other things that could be used as a weapon in the heat of an argument. That obviously hasn't happened to her....

fickman

Post by fickman »

gthaustex wrote:Well...I'm not surprised. She is a sociology professor at a womens university.

I guess she also hasn't thought of the fact that a student could come arguing for grades and happen to be carrying a knife, club or any of a number of other things that could be used as a weapon in the heat of an argument. That obviously hasn't happened to her....
or. . . due to the fact that they're already willing to shoot her for a slight adjustment to their grade - an unlicensed, illegally concealed firearm.

(In which case maybe a legally carried concealed firearm nearby could come to her defense.)
Native Texian

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

How many students have thrown books at her? How many have slapped her? How many have given her a dirty look? How many have thought a mean thought about her? Wait! Don't answer that last question. I might have to include myself in that group!

It is quite a reach to believe that a student who could qualify for a chl would suddenly lose control of their emotions over a grade. These licensed people are not out robbing folks. They are not out stealing from banks. Does she really think her grades are so valuable that licensed, background checked open carry students will throw it all away?
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Waco1959
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Waco1959 »

gthaustex wrote:Well...I'm not surprised. She is a sociology professor at a womens university.
I noticed she received her BA (1994), MA (1998), and PhD (2002) from TWU. My wife got her Masters at TWU (different field) in 1993 and I knew a bunch of students through her and my work. It was common knowledge among the students that the departments with the lowest average for SAT/ACT scores were (low to high) Social Work, Sociology, and Education. I had two students working for me that dropped out of Sociology program due to the "damned idiots." When asked if they meant students or profs the reply was "Both!" Nice to see things haven't changed much in 20 years and the Sociology department is still unable to think logically.

I also knew female students who attended late classes or worked late on campus that carried either handguns or large knives despite the campus rules or laws. Despite this, the only shooting incident I can remember or find is the 2002 case where a man threatened his wife and child. He committed suicide later.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Waco1959 wrote:
I noticed she received her BA (1994), MA (1998), and PhD (2002) from TWU. My wife got her Masters at TWU (different field) in 1993 and I knew a bunch of students through her and my work. It was common knowledge among the students that the departments with the lowest average for SAT/ACT scores were (low to high) Social Work, Sociology, and Education. I had two students working for me that dropped out of Sociology program due to the "damned idiots." When asked if they meant students or profs the reply was "Both!" Nice to see things haven't changed much in 20 years and the Sociology department is still unable to think logically.

I also knew female students who attended late classes or worked late on campus that carried either handguns or large knives despite the campus rules or laws. Despite this, the only shooting incident I can remember or find is the 2002 case where a man threatened his wife and child. He committed suicide later.
Oh, I think things have probably changed quite a bit in the past 20 years, especially in the Sociology department.....all for the worse...much MUCH worse.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

sugar land dave wrote:How many students have thrown books at her? How many have slapped her? How many have given her a dirty look? How many have thought a mean thought about her? Wait! Don't answer that last question. I might have to include myself in that group!

It is quite a reach to believe that a student who could qualify for a chl would suddenly lose control of their emotions over a grade. These licensed people are not out robbing folks. They are not out stealing from banks. Does she really think her grades are so valuable that licensed, background checked open carry students will throw it all away?
The issue goes even deeper than that though. Keep in mind, we're talking concealed carry. Is it really her assertion that she is so afraid of the boogy-man gun that she is going to assume every student that approaches her about a grade is armed, and may snap at any time? Is it then her plan to start giving A's to all of her students because of her fear?

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

There are some even more interesting questions. I tried to do some research about the classes that TWU offers in sociology and who is actually teaching them. She is listed as an associate professor which means she probably doesn't get her pick of the subjects that she teaches. They have a 5 year rotation of their different classes so it is not possible to get anything more granular.

But... if she is teaching undergrads, by default about 3/4 of her students (all but seniors, assuming that the class populations are progressing from high school,and are not career path transfers) would be ineligible for a CHL due to age. I wouldn't surprise me to learn that she doesn't even understand that. Remember: most Liberals are not big on facts when they turn their emotions loose.

Denton County is one of the high growth areas for CHL but even in the general population, it isn't approaching 10%. I cannot imagine that for women who are looking for careers in sociology that they would reach the general population statistical level. And yes, I understand that TWU probably has students from all of Texas and several other States. My point of this is that if the entire sociology department has 5% with CHLs, undergrad and post grad, it isn't going to be a big number.

Her histrionics are much ado about nothing. I wonder if I can audit one of her classes. It would be easy to get an A. :biggrinjester:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

VMI77 wrote:
Oh, I think things have probably changed quite a bit in the past 20 years, especially in the Sociology department.....all for the worse...much MUCH worse.
Unfortunately you are almost certainly right.

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

chasfm11 wrote: My point of this is that if the entire sociology department has 5% with CHLs, undergrad and post grad, it isn't going to be a big number.

Her histrionics are much ado about nothing. I wonder if I can audit one of her classes. It would be easy to get an A. :biggrinjester:
I think you left out a decimal point. .5% is far more likely than 5% for the students and most of that will be in the bull-Criminal Justice majors and male grad students. Most of the grad programs are in fields that tend to attract the "feel safe" crowd.

http://www.twu.edu/admissions/programs-majors.asp

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

What Ms. Gullion is saying is grading is influenced by her emotions instead of student's merit. Her star pupils have tattoos on the knuckles of each hand: LOVE & HATE. :woohoo
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Waco1959 wrote:
chasfm11 wrote: My point of this is that if the entire sociology department has 5% with CHLs, undergrad and post grad, it isn't going to be a big number.

I think you left out a decimal point. .5% is far more likely than 5% for the students and most of that will be in the bull-Criminal Justice majors and male grad students. Most of the grad programs are in fields that tend to attract the "feel safe" crowd.

http://www.twu.edu/admissions/programs-majors.asp
What I was trying to say is that 5% would be the maximum possible. The .5% is much more likely as you point out. It would be interesting to see if what a percentage of current or prospective LEOs would be in those classes. Those would be the ones who may have a greater interest in guns and self-protection. Even a 5%, when you do the math on class size, the odds are long that you are going to have even one person in a class with a CHL.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

chasfm11 wrote: I wonder if I can audit one of her classes. It would be easy to get an A. :biggrinjester:
Something tells me would you probably not last long in one of her classes. I'm guessing it would be an extreme case of liberal brainwashing.

I would be surprised if I made it a week.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”