Senate Bill: ‘Must Retrofit’ Handgun with Smart Gun Tech

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Senate Bill: ‘Must Retrofit’ Handgun with Smart Gun Tech

Post by bmwrdr »

Excaliber wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:I am not trying to support evil and stupidity but RFID technology would be the key technology.
I understand the technology, but how do you get the charge dependent battery and the extra points of failure presented by the electronics / mechanical interface out of the mix?

Here's another thought:

How often do you clean your gun when you haven' fired it?

Extend that thought: How often do you think you'd charge or test and replace the RFID circuit's battery?

How smart does that "smart" technology look when you pull the trigger in the 1.5 seconds you have to resolve a deadly threat and nothing happens?
RFID sensors work without battery, it uses the same concept as an antenna. Those chips are used in access control systems for example. You get that chip close to a device with a power source and that device can read the code on the RFID chip.
The extension of the RFID chip embedded in your gun could be your cell phone (smart phone) with an app to communicate between the gun and the device.

I am not a supporter of such a device but as you may very well know, technology does not stop,
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Dave2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dave2 »

bmwrdr wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:I am not trying to support evil and stupidity but RFID technology would be the key technology.
How? I mean yeah, you could glue an RFID tag on my gun somewhere, but that won't magically make it a "smart" gun.
That's right but a smartphone isn't really smart either. The point is, technology makes it possible and common sense is a different story.
:headscratch One (or more) of us is confused.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

next they will want to put a chip in your hand or forehead...
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

bmwrdr wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
I understand the technology, but how do you get the charge dependent battery and the extra points of failure presented by the electronics / mechanical interface out of the mix?

Here's another thought:

Extend that thought: How often do you think you'd charge or test and replace the RFID circuit's battery?

How smart does that "smart" technology look when you pull the trigger in the 1.5 seconds you have to resolve a deadly threat and nothing happens?
RFID sensors work without battery, it uses the same concept as an antenna. Those chips are used in access control systems for example. You get that chip close to a device with a power source and that device can read the code on the RFID chip.
The extension of the RFID chip embedded in your gun could be your cell phone (smart phone) with an app to communicate between the gun and the device.

I am not a supporter of such a device but as you may very well know, technology does not stop,
I understand how RFID works. However, that "communication between the gun and the device" will require a power source in the gun and a mechanical interface to block or unblock the trigger mechanism in order to function as an ID screening device.

An RFID chip alone is just decoration and/or a tracking device that can be read by a nearby antenna.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Excaliber wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

Here's another thought:

I understand how RFID works. However, that "communication between the gun and the device" will require a power source in the gun and a mechanical interface to block or unblock the trigger mechanism in order to function as an ID screening device.

An RFID chip alone is just decoration and/or a tracking device that can be read by a nearby antenna.
Right, to lock a gun you'd need a power source in the gun. The idea about the RFID chip is most likely intended for scanning the gun and probably integrate the mechanism into access security at airports etc.
Retrofitting any kind of a device whatsoever is probably not feasible.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

"rlol"
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

bmwrdr wrote:Right, to lock a gun you'd need a power source in the gun. The idea about the RFID chip is most likely intended for scanning the gun and probably integrate the mechanism into access security at airports etc.
That's what I was pointing out... how did we get from that to smartphones?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Dave2 wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:Right, to lock a gun you'd need a power source in the gun. The idea about the RFID chip is most likely intended for scanning the gun and probably integrate the mechanism into access security at airports etc.
That's what I was pointing out... how did we get from that to smartphones?
Good question but let me explain something real quick. If the government wants to retrofit something it is most likely impractical or an analogy to the "Glock de cocker."
:cheers2:

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Excaliber wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

Here's another thought:

:iagree:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I don't mind the Dems thumping the tub with these idiotic schemes to sneak gun control by unnoticed. So far, the more they work themselves up on it, the fewer there are after the next election still in office.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

Excaliber wrote:
I know you know this, but... :banghead: RANT ON

These "compassionate" politicians don't care about you being victimized. If you kill one of their "voters" who is robbing you, you are part of the problem. If they really cared about fighting violence and saving dead people, they would do something about places like Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Oakland, etc. :banghead: RANT OFF

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”