BREAKING: VA Tries to Confiscate Disabled Vet’s Guns

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

BREAKING: VA Tries to Confiscate Disabled Vet’s Guns

Post by Jumping Frog »

BREAKING: VA Tries to Confiscate Disabled Vet’s Guns, Stopped by Citizens and Sheriff Standing Guard
The VA forcibly confiscating the firearms of a disabled veteran almost happened in Idaho yesterday, but the VA was stopped in its tracks by a grassroots group of local residents. And the sheriff. And some politicians. All of whom stood on the man’s front yard to prevent the confiscation. A group of residents in northern Idaho lined up outside a U.S. Navy veteran’s house on Thursday to protest claims that federal officials are planning on confiscating the man’s weapons. Idaho Republican state Rep. Heather Scott of Blanchard said the Veteran Affairs office has sent a letter to John Arnold of Priest River warning him that he cannot possess or purchase firearms. The protest -spearheaded by Scott- attracted roughly 100 people. Among them were Bonner County Sheriff Daryl Wheeler, who promised to stand guard against any federal attempts to remove Arnold’s guns, and Republican Washington state Rep. Matthew Shea of Spokane Valley, who described the event as a “defiance against tyranny.”
Good for them for standing up to Obama's illegal gun grab. In its rush to grab guns, the administration is defending itself by claiming it is just trying to remove them for mental health reasons, however it totally chooses to overlook the requirement for adjudication or commitment, both of which afford the person the right to legal representation and judicial review:
18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts wrote:(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person—
. . .
(4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
A VA bureaucrat is not a judge and a piece of bureaucratic paper is not adjudication. :banghead: :banghead:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

joe817

Re: BREAKING: VA Tries to Confiscate Disabled Vet’s Guns

Post by joe817 »

Good for Idaho! :patriot:

"......but the VA was stopped in its tracks by a grassroots group of local residents. And the sheriff. And some politicians.

I believe that grassroots movement will spread like wildfire across the entire U.S. if antics like this continue. Just my opinion...and hopes that freedom will prevail.

Thanks for posting J.F.! Good article. :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

The VA has no authority to confiscate guns, heck they can't even take proper care (or any care in some cases) our veterans...but they want to play Gestaspo?

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Right2Carry »

What authority does the VA think it has? As far as I know they are not a type of LE agency! This could get really ugly really fast.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

Right2Carry wrote:What authority does the VA think it has? As far as I know they are not a type of LE agency! This could get really ugly really fast.
they do not have any authority
only a court can adjudicate that one is mentally defective in the realm of owning a firearm.
my va doc has informed me each year....that I am 100% and the VA has no authority to come to my house to do any weapon grab, without first a long drawn out legal process.....UNLESSS the veteran has singed a form stating they are incompetent of managing their affairs. the key word is unable or incompetent, its a word game and does not mean your a ticking time bomb.
using the fbi to enforce a bull database update for a reason is hogwash....where is a summons to appear ?

been funny if a va rep showed up to knock on a door ...
knock knock
me: who is there?
VA: a VA employeee.
me: what do you need?
VA: I want your registered firearm
me: ummm do you have a court order?
VA: hmmm..no ..your 100% broken and i was told to come confiscate your firearms. an FBI agent is with me to gather them.
Me: your trespassing, please leave my property.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Right2Carry wrote:What authority does the VA think it has? As far as I know they are not a type of LE agency! This could get really ugly really fast.
"To Protect Those Who Served"
Yeah.....Right!

The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

When this was first discussed in another thread, I recall some saying this would never happen and people were overreacting. So much for government apologists trusting the government.

Here is the other thread I mentioned. viewtopic.php?f=94&t=77216&hilit=Veterans+nics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does the VA really need it's own police force?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

mojo84 wrote:When this was first discussed in another thread, I recall some saying this would never happen and people were overreacting. So much for government apologists trusting the government.

Here is the other thread I mentioned. viewtopic.php?f=94&t=77216&hilit=Veterans+nics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does a college or train company need thier own police?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

suthdj wrote:
mojo84 wrote:When this was first discussed in another thread, I recall some saying this would never happen and people were overreacting. So much for government apologists trusting the government.

Does a college or train company need thier own police?
Not necessarily. I think there are to many police individual police agencies. Want too share your opinion?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy »

Every agency, college, and town wants it's own police force so they can control how justice is administered.

The VA and FBI have an agreement that VA medical records will be submitted to the FBI quartely to be added to the NICS system. Apparently, signing for your wife to handle your paperwork can make you "unable to handle your own affairs" and therefore incompetent.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/21/va-se ... aken-away/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

tomtexan wrote:
Yeah.....Right!

[ Image ]
I am pretty sure the only authority they have is on VA property much like a University PD.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

viking1000

Post by viking1000 »

They have a K-9 unit to track down Veterans in Wheel Chairs...

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Right2Carry wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
Yeah.....Right!

[ Image ]
I am pretty sure the only authority they have is on VA property much like a University PD.

A commissioned law enforcement officer is not always restricted to the property. University cos aren't always restricted to university property.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

mojo84 wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
Yeah.....Right!

[ Image ]

A commissioned law enforcement officer is not always restricted to the property. University cos aren't always restricted to university property.
Really? So where does their jurisdiction start and end? I am not talking pursuit. Can they execute search warrants outside of their premises? Can they effect an arrest at someone's home off campus or VA property?

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Right2Carry wrote:So where does their jurisdiction start and end?
I cant say where it does end, but I live the Clear Lake Area.
There is University of Houston, Clear Lake here.
they have their own police
and their police have pulled over several motorists for traffic infractions on Bay Area Blvd as well as Space Center Blvd- which is adjacent to the school, but NOT school property.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”