Prop 6

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Prop 6

Post by TXBO »

Early voting is starting now. Just a reminder that Prop 6 is a proposed Texas Constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to hunt and fish.

Please vote yes on Prop 6.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Prop 6

Post by jb2012 »

Just a thought here, wouldn't that almost totally defund TPW?

Topic author
TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

jb2012 wrote:Just a thought here, wouldn't that almost totally defund TPW?
I don't know why it would. What are your thoughts?

Here is the text of the amendment to Article 1:

Sec. 34.
(a) The people have the right to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife, including by the use of traditional methods, subject to laws or regulations to conserve and manage wildlife and preserve the future of hunting and fishing.
(b) Hunting and fishing are preferred methods of managing and controlling wildlife.
(c) This section does not affect any provision of law relating to trespass, property rights, or eminent domain.
(d) This section does not affect the power of the legislature to authorize a municipality to regulate the discharge of a weapon in a populated area in the interest of public safety.[2]
Last edited by TXBO on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pariah3j »

Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly does Prop 6 do that isn't already in place ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

Pariah3j wrote:Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly does Prop 6 do that isn't already in place ?
One of the major advantages would be to protect hunting as a preferred means to wildlife populations. Future administrations would only be able to thin populations of wildlife by other means if hunting failed. It may not be recognized as a problem here yet, but it is a concern.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

TXBO wrote:
I may be 100% wrong in this thought process but, I assumed that gaining the "right to hunt and fish" would basically do away with hunting and fishing licensing, and I know that TPW is heavily funded by licensing. While it does suck to have to pay for licenses, I do really appreciate what TPD does for us!

Topic author
TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

jb2012 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
I may be 100% wrong in this thought process but, I assumed that gaining the "right to hunt and fish" would basically do away with hunting and fishing licensing, and I know that TPW is heavily funded by licensing. While it does suck to have to pay for licenses, I do really appreciate what TPD does for us!
The amendment clearly states that hunting and fishing would still be subject to "laws or regulations to conserve and manage wildlife".

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I voted for it today.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Prop 6 guarantees Texans the right to hunt and fish as an amendment to the Texas constitution. It still allows TPW to regulate it to insure future hunting and fishing.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I see! It was just a thought!

Topic author
TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

I don't recall seeing an NRA alert but I do know that TSRA fully supports Prop 6.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Last two NRA mags had full page ads and fliers supporting Prop 6. Latest issue even had it on the cover across the top. Safe to say it's supported by the NRA and TSRA I think...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I'm pretty sure I got an email from the NRA about it as well. Had already planned to vote for prop 6 so I just skimmed through it.
NRA Benefactor Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

oohrah wrote:Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.
With the court upholding weapons bans in NY and CONN., I think it's a pre-emptive measure should the wrong people get in charge in TX and try to change things.

I'm not fully versed in the complete legalities of any of it but it definitely can't hurt. I think the argument is that you can't ban guns because we need them to hunt or something like that. That's my simplistic understanding.

If anyone else has a better explanation of the legal intricacies and ramification please chime in.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”