Texas State Campus Carry Update

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Texas State Campus Carry Update

Post by jb2012 »

I emailed the president of Texas State a few weeks ago asking for more information on how campus carry would be implemented and a few other questions and this is the response I got

Dear____,

Thank you for your email of October 27, 2015, asking for information about how Texas State University will be addressing the new Campus Carry legislation that will be effective August 1, 2016.

In response, let me provide a snapshot of our process. I began the consultative process as provided in SB 11, on the day of my fall 2015 convocation speech. At that time, I announced that an open-link survey was posted on the university home page and invited all faculty, staff, and students to begin to share their thoughts concerning implementation of this legislation. We immediately began to receive survey responses.

Subsequently, I formed a broad-based, representative, and inclusive Campus Carry Task Force comprised of faculty, staff, and students. I instructed the task force to collect data, consult with faculty, staff, students, alumni, and other stakeholders, using a variety of modalities including, but not limited to, surveys, focus groups, discussions, and open forums. I encouraged the task force to seek guidance from The Texas State University System and to engage research. I asked the task force to do an analysis of the data collected, the research results, and the results of consultation with our faculty, staff, and students and, based on those findings, to draft recommendations relative to the implementation of the legislation on our campus.

As a part of this process and based on preliminary survey responses, the task force published an FAQ that provided information about SB 11 and our process. The FAQ was emailed to all faculty, staff, and students and posted it on the university home page under “News and Announcements.”

The task force will continue to update information about its work on the university home page. The task force is proceeding as directed and I look forward to receiving the task force recommendations. We are following a systematic, consultative process that will allow our university to implement this legislation in a manner that is both consistent with the legislation and with our educational mission.

Sincerely,

Denise M. Trauth
President
Coincidentally all students and I assume faculty got this email today from the Campus Carry Taskforce:
The Texas State University Campus Carry Task Force is in the process of drafting preliminary recommendations for the implementation of the new Campus Carry legislation. These recommendations are based on data and feedback that the Texas State University Campus Carry Task Force has collected in open-link surveys; faculty, staff, student surveys; focus group sessions; discussions; meetings; facilities tours; analysis; and qualitative and quantitative research.

As we complete this draft, we would like for you to have the opportunity to review these recommendations and provide the task force with your comments, concerns, and suggestions. To that end, we have scheduled three public forums to allow us to hear your voices. The forums are open to faculty, students, staff, and community members. The dates, times, and locations for the November public forums are:

· Tuesday, November 17, 2015 from 5:15 to 6:15 pm, in the Avery Building located on the Round Rock campus in Room 252;
· Wednesday, November 18, 2015 from 7-8 pm, in the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater on the San Marcos campus;
· Thursday, November 19, 2015 from 7-8 pm, in the Alkek Teaching Theater on the San Marcos campus.

Following these forums, the task force will reconvene and revise the draft recommendations. We plan to schedule another public forum in January 2016, to provide an additional opportunity for you to review the draft, revised preliminary recommendations and provide your feedback to the task force before the task force finalizes its recommendations.

You will soon receive another email that will provide you with specific information about how the public forums will be structured, how you can participate in the public forums, and how to link to the draft of preliminary recommendations.
Any opinions on what we are receiving? I'm not sure whether I should be excited to voice my opinion at the public forum, or to be nervous that they still are not giving any details yet. Any advice and/or opinions are welcome!

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas State Campus Carry Update

Post by RoyGBiv »

I think you would get a better feeling for what direction they are heading, and whether there are any strong biases, by attending one or more of the meetings. Maybe attend the first meeting and do nothing more than listen, then formulate some questions for the second meeting.

It's always difficult to tell someones true intentions from a carefully worded email.
It's much harder to hide your biases from center stage talking to an interactive audience.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

allisji

Post by allisji »

I wonder how many CHL holders are on the task force.

It's definitely good that they are having an open forum. However, it sounds an awful lot like their plans have already been made.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

allisji wrote:I wonder how many CHL holders are on the task force.

It's definitely good that they are having an open forum. However, it sounds an awful lot like their plans have already been made.
I agree, but I guess I will find out next week.
RoyGBiv wrote:I think you would get a better feeling for what direction they are heading, and whether there are any strong biases, by attending one or more of the meetings. Maybe attend the first meeting and do nothing more than listen, then formulate some questions for the second meeting.

It's always difficult to tell someones true intentions from a carefully worded email.
It's much harder to hide your biases from center stage talking to an interactive audience.
I will be attending the first one held in San Marcos, at the LBJ Center, but unfortunately I will be out of town the next day for the second San Marcos meeting. I'll let y'all know how it goes

ELB

Post by ELB »

Thanks for reporting on this, and keep us posted.
USAF 1982-2005

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Attend every meeting you can. I did on my campus and made my presence known -- I didn't speak at any except for one meeting, but I was there. I do believe that our committee is not going to make any recommendations that would go too far on the 'gun-free zone' side of things.

I will also say, get a mouth piece. You will grit your teeth big time when you hear some of the comments from faculty and students. :banghead:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Attend every meeting you can. I did on my campus and made my presence known -- I didn't speak at any except for one meeting, but I was there. I do believe that our committee is not going to make any recommendations that would go too far on the 'gun-free zone' side of things.

I will also say, get a mouth piece. You will grit your teeth big time when you hear some of the comments from faculty and students. :banghead:
Couldn't agree more on the mouthpiece. I need one for my philosophy class as well!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”