University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns on c

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 5

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by dhoobler »

Beiruty wrote:We wish the Kali residenrs transplanted in Austin would go. Back home too.
They can't. There are no jobs there. Liberals have put the job market there in the toilet.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by jason812 »

DevilDawg wrote:Bye Felica
:cheers2:

Hopefully he's the first of many.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

dhoobler wrote:I think that using campus carry as his reason is a ruse. He was from Pennsylvania. He was going back to his roots. He was probably going anyway.
:iagree: He was simply looking for a way to get out and he found it. Maybe the weather was to hot for him & he needed to get back to the cold country.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 9

Post by sugar land dave »

It seems like a bit of a misrepresentation to me though that is just my opinion based on the following link which talks of him joining the University of Pennsylvania in July.:

http://www.thedp.com/article/2016/02/new-design-dean

Some can fool the young and willing journalists, but most of us seasoned folks see through statements of convenience.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Thereby raising the falculty's average IQ a notch....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

NotRPB wrote:YAYYYY

Time to hire some mentally stable people capable of rational thought processes and an idea of Logic and Statistics instead of illogical irrational phobias.
\ :woohoo :anamatedbanana
chasfm11 wrote:The good professor may be jumping from the frying pan to the fire. The U of P is in Philadelphia and the concealed carry rates there are higher than in Texas. 10% of the population of Lancaster county has licenses. Plus, I worked in the U of P computing center (Unicol) and the area surrounding it is pretty rough. Wouldn't it be ironic if he had to get a PA CC permit to stay alive. :biggrinjester: Austin is going to look like a cake walk by comparison.
Facts confuse them

"rlol"
Some Pa. colleges allow students to carry guns
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/2152625/
KUTZTOWN, Pa. (AP) — Students on some of Pennsylvania's college campuses might be carrying more than books.

At least five Pennsylvania state-owned universities are now allowing guns on campus after the state's lawyers concluded that an outright ban on weapons was likely unconstitutional.
Laws Concerning Carrying Concealed Firearms on Campus in Pennsylvania
http://www.armedcampuses.org/pennsylvania/
Because of changes in Pennsylvania’s concealed weapons law in 2012, one of the two major public Higher Education Systems became concerned that they might not be able to constitutionally prohibit concealed weapons permittees from carrying guns on campus.

2) The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PSSHE) oversees the other 14 state colleges.

In 2012, PASSHE’s Chairman, Guido Pichini, stated the following:

“PASSHE universities have the ability to prohibit weapons, including legally registered firearms, in academic buildings, student residence halls, dining facilities, student union buildings, athletic facilities and recreation centers or while attending a sporting, entertainment or educational event on university property or sponsored by the university. However, PASSHE’s policies also must be consistent with Pennsylvania law, which allows individuals who are properly permitted to carry a firearm ‘on or about one’s person or in a vehicle throughout the Commonwealth.’

As a result, we have confirmed that at least six PASSHE’s schools have now changed their policies to allow concealed carry permittees the ability to carry weapons on certain parts of their campuses
This only affects state colleges. The University of Pennsylvania is a private school.

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dhoobler »

sugar land dave wrote:It seems like a bit of a misrepresentation to me though that is just my opinion based on the following link which talks of him joining the University of Pennsylvania in July.:

Some can fool the young and willing journalists, but most of us seasoned folks see through statements of convenience.
You bring up a good point. Most high level university jobs take months to fill. This did not just happen.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm sure he took a big pay cut and demotion just so he would be safe.

According to my nephew that graduated from Penn with honors, it's not in the best part of town. I don't think safety was the real motivator here. I think it has more to do with going back to the school from which he graduated, money and that it is a private ivy league school vs a state school.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

One down, many more to go.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

Great news.

:txflag:
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

I guess I'm confused, doesn't everyone who works for UT have the right to resign? Are they being held prisoner? If everyone else is so concerned with the new law, which will allow a very small minority of students, and faculty to carry concealed firearms, why isn't there a mass exodus from Austin? I seriously doubt, that the University will have any difficulty in filling all of the vacancies. Utah is one state where there has been campus carry for years, I'll bet UT pays better than any of the colleges and universities there, those professors have been around armed students and have survived up till now, maybe they would like to move to a warmer climate. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

HKMike

Post by HKMike »

When a liberal leaves the Peoples' Republic of Austin it makes me sad. (sad that there are not more on the way out) Okay, I'm over it now... Heading to South Texas for some range time with friends. That should make me feel better!

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JALLEN »

sugar land dave wrote:It seems like a bit of a misrepresentation to me though that is just my opinion based on the following link which talks of him joining the University of Pennsylvania in July.:

The story was dated yesterday and speaks of him becoming Dean this July. It seems to be roughly concurrent with news that he is leaving UT to become Dean in PA. What is misrepresented?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

Wimp.

UTMacGuy

Post by UTMacGuy »

Maybe he's leaving because of Campus Carry - maybe not. In my opinion, I think it's more the UT President is cleaning house to put people he wants into key places and Fritz Steiner knew he was on the chopping block so he's trying to make a public statement. Otherwise, for him to leave UT for non-factual data showing Campus Carry would be a real threat shows how irrational people can be.

As for me, I've worked for UT for 25 years and I do plan to carry once the law takes effect and I think a lot of people would be surprised at how many people at UT already have a concealed handgun license.

Here are some excerpts from emails I've received from Gregory L. Fenves:

After a very thorough national search, I write to let the campus know that Jay Bernhardt will become permanent dean of the Moody College of Communication, effective March 1. Jay's leadership as interim dean, combined with the search committee's strong consensus and feedback from Moody faculty and staff, made it clear that he was the top choice for the deanship.

I am pleased to write you today with an announcement that after an extensive national search, Mr. Darrell Bazzell will join UT Austin as senior vice president and chief financial officer. Currently the vice chancellor for finance and administration at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Darrell has approximately 13 years of experience as CFO at a top-ranked flagship public university and 31 years in state government. His appointment at UT is effective April 18.

In my State of the University address in September, I said that UT has the ability to achieve a new level of undergraduate education at a research university, building on the university’s record of educational transformation. To help achieve that goal, I have appointed Dr. Jamie Pennebaker to lead that effort as the Executive Director of Project 2021 and Special Advisor to the Provost for Educational Innovation. He begins this new appointment immediately.

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Maurie McInnis of the University of Virginia has accepted my offer to serve as UT's new executive vice president and provost. Dr. McInnis was clearly the top candidate in an extensive national search. She begins her appointment as provost-designate immediately and assumes the role of provost July 1, 2016.

I am pleased to share with you that Jay Hartzell, the Trammell Crow Regents Professor in Business, has accepted my offer to become the new dean of the McCombs School of Business. His appointment begins Feb. 1, 2016, and he will hold the Centennial Chair in Business Education Leadership.

I write to inform you that Angela Evans has accepted my offer to serve as the new dean of the LBJ School of Public Affairs. Her appointment begins Jan. 16, 2016. As dean, Angela will be a fellow of the J.J. "Jake" Pickle Regents Chair in Public Affairs.

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Daniel Jaffe has accepted my offer to become UT's vice president for research. He will begin his appointment January 16, 2016.
SIG P320 Carry, CZ P07, M1 Carbine, SIG522, CZ75 owner
11/29/10 Plastic in Hand - 21 days

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”