University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns on c

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 5

University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns on c

Post by dhoobler »

Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

DevilDawg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by DevilDawg »

Bye Felica
Attachments
image.jpeg

atx2a

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by atx2a »

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya, pal. Enjoy PA.

:txflag:
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

The good professor may be jumping from the frying pan to the fire. The U of P is in Philadelphia and the concealed carry rates there are higher than in Texas. 10% of the population of Lancaster county has licenses. Plus, I worked in the U of P computing center (Unicol) and the area surrounding it is pretty rough. Wouldn't it be ironic if he had to get a PA CC permit to stay alive. :biggrinjester: Austin is going to look like a cake walk by comparison.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Post by WildBill »

Fenves has said allowing guns on campus will make it harder to recruit and retain top faculty and students.
Steiner’s departure would be the most immediate high-profile result of that prediction.
I don't believe it. But for Steiner, adios! :tiphat:
Last edited by WildBill on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JALLEN »

Maybe some of these academics are dumber than they look.

It seems irrational to me.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

bye, see ya....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

YAYYYY

Time to hire some mentally stable people capable of rational thought processes and an idea of Logic and Statistics instead of illogical irrational phobias.
\ :woohoo :anamatedbanana
chasfm11 wrote:The good professor may be jumping from the frying pan to the fire. The U of P is in Philadelphia and the concealed carry rates there are higher than in Texas. 10% of the population of Lancaster county has licenses. Plus, I worked in the U of P computing center (Unicol) and the area surrounding it is pretty rough. Wouldn't it be ironic if he had to get a PA CC permit to stay alive. :biggrinjester: Austin is going to look like a cake walk by comparison.
Facts confuse them

"rlol"
Some Pa. colleges allow students to carry guns
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/2152625/
KUTZTOWN, Pa. (AP) — Students on some of Pennsylvania's college campuses might be carrying more than books.

At least five Pennsylvania state-owned universities are now allowing guns on campus after the state's lawyers concluded that an outright ban on weapons was likely unconstitutional.
Laws Concerning Carrying Concealed Firearms on Campus in Pennsylvania
http://www.armedcampuses.org/pennsylvania/
Because of changes in Pennsylvania’s concealed weapons law in 2012, one of the two major public Higher Education Systems became concerned that they might not be able to constitutionally prohibit concealed weapons permittees from carrying guns on campus.

2) The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PSSHE) oversees the other 14 state colleges.

In 2012, PASSHE’s Chairman, Guido Pichini, stated the following:

“PASSHE universities have the ability to prohibit weapons, including legally registered firearms, in academic buildings, student residence halls, dining facilities, student union buildings, athletic facilities and recreation centers or while attending a sporting, entertainment or educational event on university property or sponsored by the university. However, PASSHE’s policies also must be consistent with Pennsylvania law, which allows individuals who are properly permitted to carry a firearm ‘on or about one’s person or in a vehicle throughout the Commonwealth.’

As a result, we have confirmed that at least six PASSHE’s schools have now changed their policies to allow concealed carry permittees the ability to carry weapons on certain parts of their campuses
Last edited by NotRPB on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dhoobler »

I think that using campus carry as his reason is a ruse. He was from Pennsylvania. He was going back to his roots. He was probably going anyway.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Money1 Is he taking a pay cut to salve his conscience or what?

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

Maybe the gate has opened and others will follow!! :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

dhoobler wrote:I think that using campus carry as his reason is a ruse. He was from Pennsylvania. He was going back to his roots. He was probably going anyway.

my husband just said the same thing as I was reading to him....the prof was trying to "make a point"
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Post by WildBill »

JALLEN wrote:Maybe some of these academics are dumber than they look.

It seems irrational to me.
Students for Concealed Carry issued a statement Thursday that didn’t address Steiner’s departure,
but criticized educators “overwhelmed by unjustified fear.”

“Intellectually, these professors are no different than someone whose actions are defined by an
irrational fear of sharks, witchcraft, or vaccines,” the student group said.
:shock:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2544150
NRA Endowment Member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

We wish the Kali residenrs transplanted in Austin would go. Back home too.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

"I thought I would be responsible for enforcing a law I don’t believe in,” Steiner said.

I thought he was the dean of the School of Architecture?? Now he thinks he has to enforce laws?? This person is somewhat messed up.
Well, alls I can say is....Buh-bye.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”