Does the Bible Enshrine a ‘God-Given Right’ to Shoot in Self Defense?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Does the Bible Enshrine a ‘God-Given Right’ to Shoot in Self Defense?

Post by WildBill »

jmorris wrote:
WildBill wrote:
TangoX-ray wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Exodus 22 offers the case of self-defense by a homeowner against an intruding burglar. The Torah makes a clear distinction between a nighttime and daytime robbery – as does Texas law!

This passage from Exodus introduces the classic principle of self-defense, "If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him (first)." If there is homicidal intent, self-defense is more than permitted; it is required. This is a common principle of all legal systems, America's included and Texas especially!
Can you provide a link to these references? :tiphat:
Exodus 22:2 (NIV) wrote:If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed;

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
Thank you sir. It is in my Bible as well. :tiphat:
Ah, I see my problem. Exodus 22:2 was easy but I at first thought that he was saying "If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him (first)" was also a passage but he's saying Exodus 22:2 *supports* that concept.

At least, I think that's idea.
I am not a Bible scholar, but quite a bit of a leap IMO.
NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

jmorris wrote:
WildBill wrote:
TangoX-ray wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Exodus 22 offers the case of self-defense by a homeowner against an intruding burglar. The Torah makes a clear distinction between a nighttime and daytime robbery – as does Texas law!

This passage from Exodus introduces the classic principle of self-defense, "If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him (first)." If there is homicidal intent, self-defense is more than permitted; it is required. This is a common principle of all legal systems, America's included and Texas especially!
Exodus 22:2 (NIV) wrote:If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed;

Ah, I see my problem. Exodus 22:2 was easy but I at first thought that he was saying "If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him (first)" was also a passage but he's saying Exodus 22:2 *supports* that concept.

I suggest you go to the link superchief posted and read the whole thing. It is a very good reference and backs up everything it says with scripture. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

george wrote:I don't believe the Bible gives you a "right" to anything.

Inalienable Rights are given by God. The Constitution renders them as US law. IANAL.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

WildBill wrote:
jmorris wrote:
WildBill wrote:
TangoX-ray wrote:
WildBill wrote:

I am not a Bible scholar, but quite a bit of a leap IMO.
Bill,

It is NOT found in the Bible per se, it is a Talmudic commentary, ascribed to Rabbinic scholars of the post 2nd Temple era. That is why you cannot find it verbatim... "If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him (first)" is considered, therefore, at least by observant Jews, to carry the same legal weight as Biblical law itself (10 Commandments, 613 Mitzvot for Jews, Noahide Laws for non-Jews, etc). Since there are numerous Christian scholars on this forum, I will leave the any Christian expounding to those more learned than myself. :tiphat:
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Pawpaw wrote:I suggest you go to the link superchief posted and read the whole thing. It is a very good reference and backs up everything it says with scripture. :tiphat:
Sorry, I still don't see it.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Bill,
It is NOT found in the Bible per se, it is a Talmudic commentary, ascribed to Rabbinic scholars of the post 2nd Temple era. That is why you cannot find it verbatim... "If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him (first)" is considered, therefore, at least by observant Jews, to carry the same legal weight as Biblical law itself (10 Commandments, 613 Mitzvot for Jews, Noahide Laws for non-Jews, etc). Since there are numerous Christian scholars on this forum, I will leave the any Christian expounding to those more learned than myself. :tiphat:
Thanks for the clarification. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

WildBill wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:I suggest you go to the link superchief posted and read the whole thing. It is a very good reference and backs up everything it says with scripture. :tiphat:
Here 'ya go: http://www.biblicalselfdefense.com/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Pawpaw wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Here 'ya go: http://www.biblicalselfdefense.com/
Thank you. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

I don't need biblical support for my actions. I do what needs to be done, it all comes out in the wash.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

wil
Posts in topic: 2

Post by wil »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
wil wrote:I've never seen anything within the new testament which prohibits the moral use of force, it does say "thou shalt not murder" which is the wrongful taking of an innocent life. It does not actually say "thou shalt not kill" the hebrew writing says murder. As for being persecuted for being a christian to the point of myrterdom, I am no scholar on the subject but I've always thought the idea simply means refusing to reject one's faith in Christ regardless of the circumstances. And that includes using force if need be to defend oneself up to and including death if need be in the face of refusing to reject or disavow one's faith. The idea of the christians passively allowing themselves to be fed to the lions never seemed to make sense, grab a sword or a spear and defend one's faith and by extension one's self. You may still die but you are dying because of your refusal to reject your faith regardless of the fact you are still defending yourself.
Jesus himself was not above the use of force, in this case brute force. He did not ask the moneychangers in the temple to please leave. He got ahold of a whip and beat them until they left.
:iagree:

Except it has been explained to me that the original language does not directly translate to any English word. The closest phrase is, "Thou shalt not kill with evil intent."

The words in Hebrew for "kill" or "murder" are as separate and distinct as they are in English. The Commandment translates exactly to "Thou shall not murder" (in Hebrew; "Lo Tirzach").
The most important distinction between a killing and murder is that of motivation and intent as you correctly point out.
There is a definite difference, and a crucial one. The truth of this translates into more than a few different areas.
Part and parcel to the culture war being waged in this country is the subversion of the english language, knowledge such as this is crucial.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
george wrote:I don't believe the Bible gives you a "right" to anything.

Inalienable Rights are given by God. The Constitution renders them as US law. IANAL.
Just came across a better explanation by James Willis:
Our rights are protected by the government, not granted by it. Our nation was founded on the principle that we have rights granted to us by our Creator, rights that exist because we exist, and the role of government is to protect our freedom to exercise those rights. The government certainly has the power to take away my freedom to exercise my rights, but it does not have the authority to do so. When the government becomes the instrument by which we are deprived of our rights, it is acting outside its authority and those actions must be met with firm resistance.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jim Beaux »

All creatures & plants have an inherent right & means of self defense
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”