Another Meme Thread

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Another Meme Thread

Post by TexasTornado »

AJSully421 wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:Image

"Nothing says over 40 like 2 spaces after a period."
Just checked. It is still proper to space twice after a period. (<--- used two spaces after period but was auto miscorrected by program)
Just checked. It is still not proper to space only once after period. ;-)

I noticed that on some forums the second space is auto taken out, I guess this is to save on character spaces.

Remember, that those who are over 50 are starting to show some survival skills that those under 40 might still need to acquire.
Where did you find that it is proper? The MLA, Chicago Manual of Syle, and APA all say one. The only allowance for two is by the APA on manuscript drafts, but not in published works. The double space was started to correct for limitations of monotypeset typewriters. Soooo unless you're typing on a pre-electronic typewriter......

For the love of all that is good and holy in this world..... stop with the double spaces. :cryin
wood u prefur dat we all right like towtl retards like the yutes of 2day?

I'm 33 BTW, and have a degree in communications. two is correct.

God no...that burns the eyes, but still, 2 is no longer the standard.

I'm currently studying communications and psychology (dual degree).
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Jusme »

TexasTornado wrote:

So you will be able to adequately explain exactly how crazy we all are on here. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Skiprr »

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:

So you will be able to adequately explain exactly how crazy we all are on here. :biggrinjester:
She didn't say if she was studying abnormal psychology. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TexasTornado »

WildBill wrote:
Jusme wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:

Ultimately will be Clinical psychology with focus on PTSD. So yes....abnormal psychology....although I HATE that term.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

TexasTornado wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Jusme wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:

Ultimately will be Clinical psychology with focus on PTSD. So yes....abnormal psychology....although I HATE that term.
I know that you will study many different aspects. My late sister studied psychology and worked as an LMFT.
NRA Endowment Member

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 15

Post by WTR »

wood u prefur dat we all right like towtl retards like the yutes of 2day?

I may be a bit sensitive here, but the use of the term retard as a pejorative offends me. Metal Health and Mental Retardation is a serious subject. But for the grace of God we all could be mentally challenged. Having worked with mentally retarded children in my youth, I can assure you they are generally extremely sweet and unassuming.

SawdustBytes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SawdustBytes »

Youngsters without training in proper punctuation pronunciation should refer to

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 55

Post by Vol Texan »

If I've written a 20-, 30-, or even a 90-page deliverable for someone, and the recipient is focusing on the spaces between the periods, then that recipient has missed the point of the deliverable. Might I say that the recipient has allowed his/her own thought processes to become so clouded by the minutiae that he/she has gotten off track from the primary focus of the paper.

It's sort of like what has happened to this thread.

:biggrinjester:

P.S. I've been a double-spacer after the terminal punctuation for longer than I can remember, and I have no intention of ever changing. With this being my 1265th post on this board, plus the writing I do professionally, I figure it's good enough. (Yes, I know that this forum removes the extra spaces for me, but rest assured they've all been typed as I intended - with a good long break between sentences.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Vol Texan wrote:If I've written a 20-, 30-, or even a 90-page deliverable for someone, and the recipient is focusing on the spaces between the periods, then that recipient has missed the point of the deliverable. Might I say that the recipient has allowed his/her own thought processes to become so clouded by the minutiae that he/she has gotten off track from the primary focus of the paper.

It's sort of like what has happened to this thread.

:biggrinjester:

P.S. I've been a double-spacer after the terminal punctuation for longer than I can remember, and I have no intention of ever changing. With this being my 1265th post on this board, plus the writing I do professionally, I figure it's good enough. (Yes, I know that this forum removes the extra spaces for me, but rest assured they've all been typed as I intended - with a good long break between sentences.
You may be correct, but I never really understood the purpose of this thread. That hasn't stopped me from contributing, er well at least from posting. :cool:

BTW, what's a meme?
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Vol Texan wrote:P.S. I've been a double-spacer after the terminal punctuation for longer than I can remember, and I have no intention of ever changing. With this being my 1265th post on this board, plus the writing I do professionally, I figure it's good enough. (Yes, I know that this forum removes the extra spaces for me, but rest assured they've all been typed as I intended - with a good long break between sentences.
Arrgh! I hate to comment on this off-topic controversy--and maybe I should ban myself for doing so--but it's a single space after a full-stop, not two spaces. I do sincerely hate to weigh-in, but I can't stop myself. Where's TAM when you need him?

Since digital typesetting superseded the physical, metal type used before before 1990, the accepted norm has been a single space after any full-stop: period, exclamation point, question mark, colon. Not two spaces. I can cite umpteen frameworks like The Chicago Manual of Style, the AP Stylebook, and the U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual.

Here's where I'm coming from.

When IBM first created print-on-demand way back when--the ability to produce a high-quality, 6"x9" printed book with a full-color, heavy-stock cover (used to be called a "trade paperback," but even that term has been greatly diminished)--I started a publishing company.

The books were carried by all the major distributors, including Ingram. One year, the company was rated in the top 10 publishers by Writer's Digest Magazine. Published over 30 titles.

Then the self-publishing phenomenon hit and big booksellers and universities stopped ordering from us, from any print-on-demand publishers. Darned shame. We vetted, edited, and carefully digitally typeset our books.

The incursion--and still continuing--of self-published tripe has destroyed much of book publishing, and rendered it almost impossible for the "Next Great American Novel" to ever appear. There will be no Hemingways, no Faulkners, no Fitzgeralds.

When I learned to type in high school, we had no electric typewriters. I still wish I had one of those manual Underwoods, I truly do.

Doesn't matter what you learned decades ago. Doesn't matter how old you are. Take a moment to learn current typographic and publishing standards.

Do not use double-spaces following any full-stop, be it a period, exclamation point, or a question mark.

Know why? Because anyone deciding to publish your work will have to search and replace all those flippin' double-spaces. And they will not be pleased.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

JerryK
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JerryK »

Can I have this 15 min. of my life back???

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

JerryK wrote:Can I have this 15 min. of my life back???
Sure you can.

I admitted I was way off-topic. If you don't read books, my apology. You should try it, though. Books are good.

Back to the OP before I ban myself....

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”