Missouri passes permitless conceal carry via massive pro gun bill

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri
Posts in topic: 41

Re: Missouri passes permitless conceal carry via massive pro gun bill

Post by FloridaViaMissouri »

I wonder if Keith English will stick by his vote. He was a big supporter of HB1468 and SB656 including adding pro gun amendments to both bills and from talking to him on facebook he sounded very much in favor of both bills.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Someone on MOcarry said today that their state rep thinks they might not have the votes in the senate for override because some senators might leave early to take lobbyist jobs! If that is the case they can't wait 3 months to take a new job they should never be allowed to run for any office again. That is so slimy to do something like that instead of represent your district.

Any truth to this Keith?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Keith B »

FloridaViaMissouri wrote:Someone on MOcarry said today that their state rep thinks they might not have the votes in the senate for override because some senators might leave early to take lobbyist jobs! If that is the case they can't wait 3 months to take a new job they should never be allowed to run for any office again. That is so slimy to do something like that instead of represent your district.

Any truth to this Keith?
I haven't heard this, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Keith B wrote:
FloridaViaMissouri wrote:Someone on MOcarry said today that their state rep thinks they might not have the votes in the senate for override because some senators might leave early to take lobbyist jobs! If that is the case they can't wait 3 months to take a new job they should never be allowed to run for any office again. That is so slimy to do something like that instead of represent your district.

Any truth to this Keith?
I haven't heard this, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Seems to happen every year. It would been nice to have Dempsey in the senate right now to have 25 republicans for veto override which would be a nice cushion but he had to leave in order to take a lobbying job. Not worried about the House. Remember 6 republicans were not present the last day so they show up and gain at least a couple votes there it should be a pretty big cushion to override it even if all 3 of the democrats vote no this time.

It all comes down to the senate in my opinion. Only one vote to spare. Senate leadership sounds confident in a veto override though.

If something happens and there is no override if Kinder or Hathaway are governor next year then pass a lot better bill along with campus carry in it. With a republican governor like Kinder they wont have to worry about getting a 2/3 majority as well because there wouldn't be threat of any veto and you can simply have swing district republicans vote no or sit out.

Koster claims he's pro gun and supports SB656 but I wouldn't trust him. I have a feeling though Eric Greitens will be running against Koster. Who knows where he will stand.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Well with these Dallas police officers shot tonight possibly by legal people open carrying this just probably just put a major dent in the veto override come this Sept. since law enforcement was against it in the first place.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

All four candidates the other night during the republican governors debate said they all support permit less concealed carry especially Catharine Hanaway is making it a major talking point of her campaign.

Hopefully that puts pressure on Republicans to override the veto since their candidates are pushing for it especially if Peter Kinder or Hanaway get the nomination.

While Hanaway originally voted against the original ccw bill years ago because her district was a liberal district, as speaker of the house she rushed it to the house floor for a vote before it could get stalled which helped slam it through. She did her part otherwise in helping it pass. Peter Kinder is also very pro gun and his campaign manager told me he supported HB1468 and would be a fine governor for the second amendment.

I think the 61 percent passage of Amendment 5 in 2014 also is a factor while the politicians are trying to sound more pro gun now.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

tonight was primary elections in Missouri. Not terribly thrilled Eric Greitens won, BUT what is interesting is all the republicans candidates combined got over 683,000 votes out of just over 1 million ballots casted while Democrats just 324,000. Granted I'm sure some of those votes were cross over votes though voting for a weaker candidate, but that would still be a pretty good gap. Interesting to note Eric Schmitt, republican for state treasurer is running unopposed in the primary has over 250,000 more votes than the 2 democrats combined.

I think there is a good chance Missouri will have a republican for the next governor. Another outsider one the attorney generals race as well. It makes me wonder if outsiders are doing better in this election like Trump for example.

What shocked me was how badly Peter Kinder lost.

Anyways Greitens would still be better than Koster.

With a Republican governor next year not sure how much gun stuff will be passed because I can say right now with a republican governor and super majorities in both Chambers, right to work will be the main bill that is going to be passed next year.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Well one of the very pro gun Ron Hicks is resigning effective this Friday. I don't understand why he didn't hold out one more month until AFTER the session. This leaves 115 republicans and one pro gun (I). Keith English the Independent will of course vote to override Nixon, but Stephen Weber one of the democrats who voted for SB656 has stated he has changed his mind and will vote no on the override. That leaves the other two pro gun democrats. I know the one from St. joseph will likely keep his vote.

6 Republicans were absent on the floor during the last day of the session. Hopefully they're present and vote to override.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/politics/subur ... /295366458

I'm still worried about the senate more. Only one vote to spare there.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Got an email from Missouri Firearm's Coalition this morning saying a couple senators might be swayed to not vote for it. Bloomberg has been lobbying the senate heavily.

Bob Onder told me he will be voting to override though. It's sounding like Ron Richard might be one of the members not voting for override. He won't give an answer to if he supports it or not. He said he's looking over it basically and will decide what he thinks is best is what he's told people who write him. I just emailed him today asking for support.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Missouri lawmakers loosen gun laws, back voter photo ID
JEFFERON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Missouri's Republican-led Legislature used its supermajority Wednesday to significantly loosen the state's gun laws and potentially tighten its voting requirements as lawmakers overrode numerous vetoes of Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon.

The sweeping guns legislation would allow most adults to carry concealed weapons without needing a permit while also expanding people's right to defend themselves both in public and private places.

Missouri lawmakers loosen gun laws, override veto of 'constitutional carry' law
The Republican-led Legislature enacted the law Wednesday by a 24-6 Senate vote and a 112-41 vote in the House. Both exceeded the two-thirds majority needed to override the veto of Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon.
USAF 1982-2005

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

It's a good day for those of us in MO. The lack of Stand Your Ground laws always puzzled me. Now would like to see something done along the same lines as Texas in that government owned/controlled facilities can not be posted.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Keith B »

You still must have a CCW to carry openly or concealed in several cities. Cities can adopt ordinances to prohibit unlicensed carry.

The bill was good in the fact it added enhanced Castle Doctrine and other no-retreat requirements, but it was not cart blanche unlicensed carry as many are believing.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Keith B wrote:You still must have a CCW to carry openly or concealed in several cities. Cities can adopt ordinances to prohibit unlicensed carry.

The bill was good in the fact it added enhanced Castle Doctrine and other no-retreat requirements, but it was not cart blanche unlicensed carry as many are believing.
If that is indeed the case, I hope Josh Hawley if elected eventually gets to argue a case at the MO Supreme court regarding 4th class cities being able to regulate the bearing "carrying of arms" under the new revised Missouri constitution regarding the right to bear arms. Amendment 5 passed in 2014 really beefed up 2a protections in MO and residents of certain cities not being able to bear arms (without permit, taxation) due to the town they live in is a violation of their constitutional rights to the bearing of arms while the rest of Missouri doesn't have to pay a tax to do it. Test the "strict scrutiny" part of it. I hear Hawley is very pro gun and a strict constitutionalist.

Here in Florida at any time now the FL Supreme Court will release their ruling regarding open carrying of firearms and if it's constitutional to restrict it in FL like it currently is. IMO the court will side with the lower court's ruling. The Florida constitution unlike Missouri states clearly lawmakers can regulate the bearing of arms "carrying" on one's self. We are going to likely lose that case here in Florida.

MO constitution
Section 23. That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms, ammunition, and accessories typical to the normal function of such arms, in defense of his home, person, family and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned. The rights guaranteed by this section shall be unalienable. Any restriction on these rights shall be subject to strict scrutiny and the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the general assembly from enacting general laws which limit the rights of convicted violent felons or those adjudicated by a court to be a danger to self or others as result of a mental disorder or mental infirmity.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

SigM4 wrote:It's a good day for those of us in MO. The lack of Stand Your Ground laws always puzzled me. Now would like to see something done along the same lines as Texas in that government owned/controlled facilities can not be posted.
In 2007 the original Castle bill had it in it but was removed in conference on the final bill due to Tom Dempsey I think or was it Ron Richard? Keith will probably know but I think it was one of them had the "any place you can lawfully be" wording deleted. Dumb because Blunt would have signed the bill. MO needed it but their self defense laws were never terrible.

Arkansas I believe doesn't have a castle law at all still, and Virginia does not have stand your ground law, and I doubt VA will any time soon with the fruit loop governor and they're becoming Maryland South.

Guns and ammo ranked MO 9th for best gun laws in 2015, far above what Texas is. I think Texas ranked 25th? This should keep MO as one of the top pro gun states.

Other tweaks are needed to this law which will be much easier to do now next year just like with the original ccw law was tweaked over the years. I know next year Missouri Firearm's Coalition says gun free zones will be targeted to get removed. Hopefully that means campus carry, and church carry and sporting event and mass transit carry. Even if I could carry my AR I would refuse to ride any transit in St. Louis. Way too dangerous.

Unless the Missouri Supreme Court decides on campus carry I wonder if it will be back next year? Chris Koster doesn't sound totally against the ideal and the issue was debated this year and in 2009 it passed the MO house with big bi-partisan support. If 2/3 republican control both chambers I see it hard in his first term for Chris Koster to challenge them on a veto override especially after he saw what happened with Nixon being overrode so much.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Thinking about it, we can in a way thank former speaker John Diehl for his whole sexting thing he resigned over. Due to that it got Todd Richardson elected speaker of the house, from far southern Missouri, and more pro gun versus a RINO from the St. Louis area.

last year permit less carry was introduced (2015) but only made it out of the emerging issues committee in April and never got out of the second committee to get to the floor for a vote.

Thanks to the speaker he rushed it to the Floor for a vote.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”