TX: Blinn College finally agrees free speech includes talking about guns

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Blinn College finally agrees free speech includes talking about guns

Post by Vol Texan »

oljames3 wrote:Enlisted into 1st Cavalry Division, 1973. OCS 1976, back to 1CD. Joined Texas Army National Guard in 1991. Called back to active duty 2004, retired 2012. 10 years commissioned, 24 years enlisted.

All of my artillery units were nuclear capable or nuclear only. Almost all unit members were in the Personnel Reliability Program. The infantry guarding my Pershing missiles carried loaded M16s. I trained my soldiers thoroughly on the use of force. I'd trust any of them.

MG Nichols, Texas Adjutant General, has issued a policy clarifying that Texas National Guardsmen who have an LTC can carry in uniform.

Maybe the artillery is different, but I don't even know any officers who are against enlisted soldiers carrying their firearms.
Enlisted, I was a scrub nurse working in the Operating Room at Ireland Army Hospital in Ft. Knox. Later, I continued in a MASH unit in my hometown in the Army Reserve. I wouldn't have put it past any of the officers around me at IAH to be anti-gun, after all, it was primarily a bunch of doctors and nurses. The same mix of officer types at the MASH unit in Tennessee...not so much. Something about the hills of East Tennessee made a person gun-friendly back in the '80s, I guess.

Once I was commissioned, I was in the 278th ACR, also in East Tennessee. Not one of my fellow officers in that unit would have batted an eye at the sight of a handgun or rifle. Gosh, if you went into a bar without a gun or a knife, we'd loan you one so you didn't feel out of place!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Glockster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Blinn College finally agrees free speech includes talking about guns

Post by Glockster »

MeMelYup wrote:
Abraham wrote:android,

I'm sure that some ex-military are like the small percentage of LEO's who dislike civilians being armed, but I'd guess there are more ex-military and LEO's who are heartily in favor of law abiding armed citizenry.

I'm ex-military and I'd love to see more law abiding being armed.
From what I have observed, I would agree. It appears that the dislike of persons with firearms is mostly in the officer country than in the enlisted.
Not my experience either. I was Navy enlisted through E-9 and officer through O-3E and the only time I heard gun control mentioned it was in conjunction with improving marksmanship!
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”