Improperly posted court house?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Improperly posted court house?

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I live in Vernon, west of Wichita Falls, in Wilbarger County. Had to go to the court house today to renew registration on a vehicle. I wasn't carrying because my work won't allow it and I was taking care of this on the way to work. It was posted with what appeared to be a full-on 30.06 sign, English and Spanish. There are lots of offices in the court house besides courtrooms such as the tax assessor/collector. Are they within their rights to post the entire courthouse, and if not, how do I report them?

The Annoyed Man

Re: Improperly posted court house?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

K.Mooneyham wrote:I live in Vernon, west of Wichita Falls, in Wilbarger County. Had to go to the court house today to renew registration on a vehicle. I wasn't carrying because my work won't allow it and I was taking care of this on the way to work. It was posted with what appeared to be a full-on 30.06 sign, English and Spanish. There are lots of offices in the court house besides courtrooms such as the tax assessor/collector. Are they within their rights to post the entire courthouse, and if not, how do I report them?
Posting from a mobile device in Albuquerque, but no they are not allowed to post the entire building, and somewhere on the active thread list is one in which the Texas AG letter to another courthouse is posted, which tells them they have to take the sign down.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Here you go, next to lar paragraph bottom of page two: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/fi ... thouse.pdf
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Papa_Tiger »

K.Mooneyham wrote:I live in Vernon, west of Wichita Falls, in Wilbarger County. Had to go to the court house today to renew registration on a vehicle. I wasn't carrying because my work won't allow it and I was taking care of this on the way to work. It was posted with what appeared to be a full-on 30.06 sign, English and Spanish. There are lots of offices in the court house besides courtrooms such as the tax assessor/collector. Are they within their rights to post the entire courthouse, and if not, how do I report them?
Charles details the process in this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77921

He mentions some files that you can download to write up and send to the county to let them know they are in violation. They can be found here:
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... aint-forms

Once received by the county, they have three business days to take down the sign. If they do not, you would then notify the AG by filing a complaint.

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Thank you TAM for the info. And enjoy your trip. Safe travels.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I live in Wichita Falls and before becoming too aggressive about this why not just contact the Vernon city manager and see if this can be resolved without going through the AG office. If the city manager is not helpful then you need to write your formal complaint, samples are on this site and then can submit to AG. Make sure you have pictures. I just went through this in Wichita Falls with posting 30.06 and 30.07 signs at our local gun show at our MPEC (city owned) and I don't expect to see those signs in the future. We don't want to overload the AG if not necessary.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

rotor wrote:I live in Wichita Falls and before becoming too aggressive about this why not just contact the Vernon city manager and see if this can be resolved without going through the AG office. If the city manager is not helpful then you need to write your formal complaint, samples are on this site and then can submit to AG. Make sure you have pictures. I just went through this in Wichita Falls with posting 30.06 and 30.07 signs at our local gun show at our MPEC (city owned) and I don't expect to see those signs in the future. We don't want to overload the AG if not necessary.

I doubt that the City Manager has any control over a County Courthouse. The County Attorney would need to be contacted, or the County Commissioners.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

Jusme wrote:
rotor wrote:I live in Wichita Falls and before becoming too aggressive about this why not just contact the Vernon city manager and see if this can be resolved without going through the AG office. If the city manager is not helpful then you need to write your formal complaint, samples are on this site and then can submit to AG. Make sure you have pictures. I just went through this in Wichita Falls with posting 30.06 and 30.07 signs at our local gun show at our MPEC (city owned) and I don't expect to see those signs in the future. We don't want to overload the AG if not necessary.

I doubt that the City Manager has any control over a County Courthouse. The County Attorney would need to be contacted, or the County Commissioners.JMHO
You are right. Would contact County Attorney and probably cc to City Manager.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”