California lawmakers pass unprecedented package of gun control bills

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

brokedown48
Posts in topic: 1

Re: California lawmakers pass unprecedented package of gun control bills

Post by brokedown48 »

At least one politician has some sense, R. Sen Jim Nielsen " said the measures would only hinder citizens who obey the law and would be ignored by criminals. " but looks like most of them drank a bunch of the water
NRA
TSRA
C&R

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

Why did Governor Moonbeam veto the part about making gun theft Grand Theft and therefore a felony? The only thing out of the whole mess that made any sense.
:confused5
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

There is another far reaching downside to this idiocy. Some Kalifornians will escape to other states and after a while there, they'll want to make it 'right', just like the place they escaped from. For examples of this refugee dichotomy, look no further than Austin or south Florida.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Liberty wrote:Why did Governor Moonbeam veto the part about making gun theft Grand Theft and therefore a felony? The only thing out of the whole mess that made any sense.
:confused5
The speculation I read on another board (can't remember which one, maybe calguns) was that Moonbeam thought this provision would end up disproportionately sending more young African American males to prison. So as you said, of all the things in these bills that might have actually made some sense, they reject it because of political correctness.

We are almost done here, folks.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

The problem guys and gals is, this spreads like a cancer. The battle needs to begin here and now instead of allowing it to spread here. As mentioned earlier, the state is governed by the population centers. There are literally millions of citizens there affected by this who had no say in the matter and vehemently disagree. It's time to follow Connecticut's lead and tell the idiots in Sacramento to pound sand.
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Oldgringo wrote:There is another far reaching downside to this idiocy. Some Kalifornians will escape to other states and after a while there, they'll want to make it 'right', just like the place they escaped from. For examples of this refugee dichotomy, look no further than Austin or south Florida.
Exactly!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

myntalfloss

Post by myntalfloss »

Frankly, I can't believe anyone is surprised by this.
We so-called "normal" gun owners are similar to "moderate' Muslims. We can't believe anyone would associate us "normal" folks with the egregious behavior of those deviates that shoot people randomly. And similar to the "moderate Muslims", we sit on our collective arses and do nothing to alleviate the problem. "Moderate Muslims" should have been the lead in condemning and containing the Jihadists. We should have been the lead in trying to prevent idiots from getting guns. And so, because of our collective sanctimonious views and unwillingness to participate in the search for solutions, theirs on their religion and ours on the 2nd Amendment, this will eventually lead to a glassy plain in the Middle East and a 2nd Amendment that will have been so modified that it's hardly recognizable.
Shame on them and shame on us.

Happy 4th Vets! :patriot:

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Would you turn in your mags?

The high-capacity gun magazine ban goes into effect July 1, 2017, and the language of the ban – contained in SB 1446 – leaves no question as to the limited options for owners of such magazines:

A person who, prior to July 1, 2017, legally possesses a large-capacity magazine shall dispose of that magazine by any of the following means:
(1) Remove the large-capacity magazine from the state.
(2) Prior to July 1, 2017, sell the large-capacity magazine to a licensed firearms dealer.
(3) Destroy the large-capacity magazine.
(4) Surrender the large-capacity magazine to a law enforcement agency for destruction.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

lfinsr wrote:The problem guys and gals is, this spreads like a cancer. The battle needs to begin here and now instead of allowing it to spread here. As mentioned earlier, the state is governed by the population centers. There are literally millions of citizens there affected by this who had no say in the matter and vehemently disagree. It's time to follow Connecticut's lead and tell the idiots in Sacramento to pound sand.
I wonder how many of those millions of citizens were to "busy" to go to vote in elections in the past years. It's amazing how many people wonder how it got this way when they wouldn't cross the street to do anything to stop it.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I thought high capacity Magazines were already banned in California. What is a high capacity Magazine? and cant they just put a shim or something into the mag to reduce the capacity? I wonder if there will be any bargains for the rest of us on used magazines.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

myntalfloss wrote:Frankly, I can't believe anyone is surprised by this.
We so-called "normal" gun owners are similar to "moderate' Muslims. We can't believe anyone would associate us "normal" folks with the egregious behavior of those deviates that shoot people randomly. And similar to the "moderate Muslims", we sit on our collective arses and do nothing to alleviate the problem. "Moderate Muslims" should have been the lead in condemning and containing the Jihadists. We should have been the lead in trying to prevent idiots from getting guns. And so, because of our collective sanctimonious views and unwillingness to participate in the search for solutions, theirs on their religion and ours on the 2nd Amendment, this will eventually lead to a glassy plain in the Middle East and a 2nd Amendment that will have been so modified that it's hardly recognizable.
Shame on them and shame on us.

Happy 4th Vets! :patriot:
There were two bills in the senate, introduced and backed by republicans to 1) restrict firearm purchases for people who have been on or are on the terrorist watch list/no fly list/selectee list/magic unicorn list while maintaining a semblance of due process when a purchase was denied (Cornyn bill) - this bill was backed by the NRA - http://votesmart.org/bill/21642/56958/1 ... 3pmCb-DmnM and
2) increase funding to improve the NICS database and record keeping. http://votesmart.org/bill/21643/56960/1 ... 3plo7-DmnM
Both of these bills were defeated by DEMOCRATS in the senate. They want a blank check with no compromises to restrict the second amendment rights of Americans. We cannot allow that.

There will be a vote in the House this week for a companion of the Cornyn bill (kinda sorta maybe not identical...? Not entirely sure yet) and I'll bet you money that almost every single D on the roll call votes against it.

I don't think that it's completely accurate to say that *no one* in our community is open to working to alleviate the problem, even if said laws won't stop these idiots and criminals from commiting their acts of terror, hate and malice. I do think it's accurate to say that we are all extremely guarded and hesitant to allow any new laws or rules restricting or delaying the rights of American citizens because we know where that slippery slope leads us.

And yes, Happy 4th! :patriot: :txflag:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

Bayoutalker wrote:
lfinsr wrote:The problem guys and gals is, this spreads like a cancer. The battle needs to begin here and now instead of allowing it to spread here. As mentioned earlier, the state is governed by the population centers. There are literally millions of citizens there affected by this who had no say in the matter and vehemently disagree. It's time to follow Connecticut's lead and tell the idiots in Sacramento to pound sand.
I wonder how many of those millions of citizens were to "busy" to go to vote in elections in the past years. It's amazing how many people wonder how it got this way when they wouldn't cross the street to do anything to stop it.
Voter apathy is definitely a problem, however, I don't think it would make any difference in this case. When the pinheads who's age=IQ outnumber the rational folks 10:1 even if there was 100% turnout it wouldn't make a difference.

The 9th Circuit will uphold the new laws, our best hope at this point is the supreme court and even that's a slim hope.
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

lfinsr wrote:
Bayoutalker wrote:
Voter apathy is definitely a problem, however, I don't think it would make any difference in this case. When the pinheads who's age=IQ outnumber the rational folks 10:1 even if there was 100% turnout it wouldn't make a difference.

The 9th Circuit will uphold the new laws, our best hope at this point is the supreme court and even that's a slim hope.
I was not speaking of just recent history. This has been in the process for a long time.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

jailbird

Post by jailbird »

Oldgringo wrote:There is another far reaching downside to this idiocy. Some Kalifornians will escape to other states and after a while there, they'll want to make it 'right', just like the place they escaped from. For examples of this refugee dichotomy, look no further than Austin or south Florida.
This part drives me crazy, I don't understand the logic at all. It's gotten so bad that somebody should start a petition to move the TX capital and then let California annex Austin just so the expats there can feel like they're back at home. No offense to you right thinking Austinites! :mrgreen:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”