TX campus carry, 6 weeks in

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX campus carry, 6 weeks in

Post by Jusme »

It looks like Texas Tech should have gone with the same sign makers as A&M, $70k is a lot for signs. A&M held it to under $20k. :biggrinjester:

Just another part of the dire predictions put forth by the left, that has not, and will not, come to pass.

I guess the three professors suing UT, are hoping that they have a "slush fund" that they can get. "rlol"
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Post by J.R.@A&M »

The costliest thing about campus carry has been the three range fees I have happily paid in the last three weeks, shooting accuracy drills with my carry guns. The advent of campus carry has prompted this, as well as a comment from the fella at the end of this thread. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=80431 .
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

mojo84 wrote:
ELB wrote:After reading the DMN article a couple times, it looks like the real campus carry cost figure is more like $300k, not close to a million. The biggest part of the $960K total cost is the $562K for hiring three more cops and maybe some security guards for the Texas State System. Take a look:
One cost outlier came from the Texas State System, where officials cited campus carry as the reason for hiring additional police officers and security guards at Texas State and Lamar universities. Those costs totaled about $562,000 this year.
They lied.
But Texas State University Police Chief Jose Banales said the new law was actually one of "several factors" in the decision to add three officers to his force.

"The university has experienced quite a bit of growth," he said. "So it aligned with what we were anticipating for campus carry."
They were going to hire more cops anyway, campus carry just gave them a way to squall and justify their budget to the Leg.
Makes me wonder how much are they paying their cops? I suspect it's all being used to justify an increase in their budget. It's all about more money.

UT police is the 3rd largest police Dept in Texas. Their salaries range from 34k-46k per year depending on what campus you are at. I believe the cops at MD Anderson in Houston make the most. Their security guards(PSO)are not licensed security guards because they work under the police dept. My wife is employed with them.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Jusme wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Do you mean to say that exactly ZERO drunken frat boys gunned down their annoying profs? That can't possibly be true.
:smilelol5:

There must be at least a hundred incidents where academic freedom :roll: has been suppressed and stymied by lunatic guns owners in the classroom. Why hasn't the liberal slipstream media reported these?

:biggrinjester:

I guess they are also having their first amendment rights suppressed. Or they just haven't come up with a way to a make that lie believable. "rlol"
Making a lie believable has never stopped them from putting one out there before.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Article in the local paper about a shooting at a Frat Party at UT over the weekend. Went on and on about 18 year old student evicted from party for bad behavior (drunken) who went and obtained a firearm, came back and shot the security guard (non-fatal). Perp was later arrested and upon search of his apartment they found an "assault rifle" and another ".40 automatic handgun," but not the gun used in the shooting. Last paragraph in a somewhat length article stated that the student did not have a License to Carry a Handgun. I am very surprised given the political bent of our local paper that they did not attribute this to Campus Carry even though it really has absolutely NO relationship to the issue.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

AF-Odin wrote:Article in the local paper about a shooting at a Frat Party at UT over the weekend. Went on and on about 18 year old student evicted from party for bad behavior (drunken) who went and obtained a firearm, came back and shot the security guard (non-fatal). Perp was later arrested and upon search of his apartment they found an "assault rifle" and another ".40 automatic handgun," but not the gun used in the shooting. Last paragraph in a somewhat length article stated that the student did not have a License to Carry a Handgun. I am very surprised given the political bent of our local paper that they did not attribute this to Campus Carry even though it really has absolutely NO relationship to the issue.
The shooter was not a UT student, he was applying to UT and wanted to join the frat, and the party was off campus.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Is it just me or does the barrel in Andy's meme look like a .45, but the rounds look like 9mm?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:Is it just me or does the barrel in Andy's meme look like a .45, but the rounds look like 9mm?
It looks to me like the pistol and ammo came from different pics and are not to the same scale.

Still, that's picking nits on an awesome meme. :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ELB wrote:[quote="mojo84
Makes me wonder how much are they paying their cops? I suspect it's all being used to justify an increase in their budget. It's all about more money.
People are expensive. I don't know much about how cops' pay is traditionally structured, but back when I was involved in pricing professional help, the cost of a single employee was easily double his salary because of benefits and retirement plans. If they hired three full-time police officers plus a few licensed security guards, the $562K figure doesn't surprise me at all.[/quote]

Considering Obamacare's impact on health care costs, it's probably more than double the salary now. $526K for 5 total employees translates to an average paycheck of $52,600 assuming the 2X total cost, which sounds reasonable.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oohrah wrote:
AF-Odin wrote:Article in the local paper about a shooting at a Frat Party at UT over the weekend. Went on and on about 18 year old student evicted from party for bad behavior (drunken) who went and obtained a firearm, came back and shot the security guard (non-fatal). Perp was later arrested and upon search of his apartment they found an "assault rifle" and another ".40 automatic handgun," but not the gun used in the shooting. Last paragraph in a somewhat length article stated that the student did not have a License to Carry a Handgun. I am very surprised given the political bent of our local paper that they did not attribute this to Campus Carry even though it really has absolutely NO relationship to the issue.
The shooter was not a UT student, he was applying to UT and wanted to join the frat, and the party was off campus.
Where can I get a .40 automatic handgun? Those sound cool.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

AndyC wrote:
C-dub wrote:Is it just me or does the barrel in Andy's meme look like a .45, but the rounds look like 9mm?
I have to say I wasn't looking very closely - I was trying to find a picture that had a pistol and something justice-related and patriotic.
Oh, I know. I wasn't looking for anything wrong with it, but it kinda jumped out at me. It's a great meme!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”