Just 3% of Americans own almost 50% of the country’s guns, study says

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Just 3% of Americans own almost 50% of the country’s guns, study says

Post by Beiruty »

jason812 wrote:If we get free government money for not having 8 firearms, I don't have any so the government needs to give me 8 so I can be relieved from the anguish of being in the minority class of gun owners. Just pay no attention to any of my posts, if I referenced having a firearm, it was all a lie so I could try to fit in with the cool kids.
Those who have and those who have not. We demand, social justice, more guns for the people. :patriot:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

...as long as the guns are green, sustainable, seek social justice, and aren't racist, why, they must be good.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Abraham wrote:...as long as the guns are green, sustainable, seek social justice, and aren't racist, why, they must be good.
I want a green painted Abrams M1A3.
Beiruty,

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 3

Post by vjallen75 »

Beiruty wrote:
jason812 wrote:If we get free government money for not having 8 firearms, I don't have any so the government needs to give me 8 so I can be relieved from the anguish of being in the minority class of gun owners. Just pay no attention to any of my posts, if I referenced having a firearm, it was all a lie so I could try to fit in with the cool kids.
Those who have and those who have not. We demand, social justice, more guns for the people. :patriot:
:iagree: :hurry: :anamatedbanana :thewave
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Harvard Study: More Guns in More Hands, and More Women Shooters
First, the original headline of this big Guardian piece on the study advertised ‘more guns in fewer hands’ as the result of the study. I reached out to the author on Twitter about it because this statement is factually incorrect, and they’ve corrected it. Here’s what’s going on.

The study shows a decline in gun ownership from 25% to 22% since 1994, so the rate of gun ownership has indeed gone down slightly. But “fewer hands”? Not when you factor in population growth. The US population has gone from 263 million in ’94 to a present of about 313 million, which means that the absolute number of gun owners has risen by a few million. So no, there are not “more guns in fewer hands,” but “more guns in more hands.”
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/09/20/ha ... Newsletter
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

snorri
Posts in topic: 1

Post by snorri »

joe817 wrote:Though most of the country’s 55 million gun owners possess one to three guns, about 7.7 million owners have eight or more."

I did some mental math and I own eight revolvers but I only have five 1911s. Do I need to get more? :headscratch
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

snorri wrote:
joe817 wrote:Though most of the country’s 55 million gun owners possess one to three guns, about 7.7 million owners have eight or more."

I did some mental math and I own eight revolvers but I only have five 1911s. Do I need to get more? :headscratch
Yes.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

Jusme wrote:I think it all goes back to the validity of the study. Most gun owners, are very aware f the left's position, on gun bans, registries, background checks, and outright confiscation. So I would bet that only 3% of gun owners actually answered the question(s) truthfully. I would not tell anyone my ownership status, so if they want to believe that there are only 9.4 million people in America, with guns, so be it.

During World War II, the Japanese would not invade mainland US, because they feared " a rifle behind every blade of grass" I guess left wing Harvard folks aren't so smart. :headscratch
Yeah. A 'pollster' asks me a question, I know there's likely an agenda behind the survey. And no way I'd tell some stranger whether or not I own a firearm. Or even if I'm interested in owning one. I heard one time that the response to telephone surveys is typically less than 10%. And the pollsters know how to word and target questions. Listening to a pollster being interviewed once, he said he could get whatever answer the poll sponsor wanted just by picking the time of day the calls are made.

But most gun owners have seen how the likes of Bloomberg use polling data (from a pollster who got them the answer they were paid to get) to push their agenda. And that agenda is to demonize gun owners. So I could see few gun owners honestly answering their questions.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

C-dub wrote:Not all states exempt their licensees from a background check when purchasing a firearm. I don't know which ones, but am fairly sure that Kansas is one of them. Several years ago when I purchased a rifle there I didn't expect to be able to skip the background check, but seem to remember them telling me that even those that had Kansas licenses didn't get to either.
Also, the big box stores and SOME FFLs will still run a NICS check whether you have a CHL/LTC/whatever.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Super gun nuts, most likely would get more governmental attention. So, many would say what guns?
Beiruty,

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Pollsters, sales botherers, those who call that have private/unlisted/we don't want you to know who we are, are calls that don't get answered.

We screen every call.

Example: Ring!

Look at phone?

Caller is anonymous.

Call is laughed at and isn't responded to.

Ah, I love it!

I recognize 'some folks' have no will power, they MUST answer the phone. They're the kind if told they must not answer the phone or their house will explode, would answer regardless...poor, schlubs...

To them I say: You're pathetic!

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

superchief wrote:guns are icky
then you should probably clean them a little more often............. :totap:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”