Art Acevedo to be named Houston Police Chief :(

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Art Acevedo to be named Houston Police Chief :(

Post by Pawpaw »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This isn't bad, it's horrific! He shouldn't even be a licensed peace officer in Texas.

Chas.
Therein lies the problem. He didn't move far enough east. I'm thinking about 2,000 more miles east would be good enough. That should put him just about in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Then he becomes the fish's problem.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Lest we forget, Acevedo testified against the campus carry bill because, I kid you not, he'd rather offer counseling to rape victims after the fact than allow them the ability to defend themselves with a firearm.

Mr. Cotton is correct - this guy shouldn't even have a badge much less head up the police department of a major city in Texas. But as an Austinite, I'm thrilled he's leaving (even though I'm sure his replacement will be worse).

rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

Thank god, sorry Houston, you are about to lose all your good police officers.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Forget the wall on the Southern border. We need to build a wall around Texas before we turn into a blue State. We need to keep the leftist immigrants out. My BIL has already seen what the influx or Californians has done to Colorado. I use to drop my Sister of in Austin as she went to TU Austin on my way to College Station. It is amazing how far left Austin has swung in 40 years. Just like the State of NM I live in presently, the vast amount of the open country folks were red but the large city population of foo foo liberals turned the State blue.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I'd say the good folks of Houston proper are primed for a groundswell of activism...or is the city just lost to the demographics?

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I'd say the good folks of Houston proper are primed for a groundswell of activism...or is the city just lost to the demographics?
Depending on how you define "good folks" both possibilities might be true.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Skiprr »

And Samuel Pena, from El Paso, was also named today as Houston's new Fire Chief. Houston's department is evidently five times the size of El Paso's, and far more active in terms of number of calls per person per day.

Understandably, Houston's firefighters are reserved about the appointment and issuing no responses but official politi-speak. A friend of mine told me this afternoon that they were fully expecting one of their respected insiders to be promoted rather than seeing an unknown hired from the outside.

I wasn't overly upset when Sylvester Turner won the mayoral election. Heck, anybody but Anise Parker. But today may be a bit much.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

First Kim Ogg. Now this. Ugh.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

EastTexasRancher
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EastTexasRancher »

meh, never mind.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

And now Jose Altuve finishes only 3rd as American League MVP. Third? Seriously?

Yep: Kim Ogg defeating Devon Anderson was an absolute travesty. She did it with outside money, many attack ads, and a Houston demographic that slides more left each year. But this one kinda surprised me. If the left side of the scale is pure blue, and the right fire-engine red, Ogg is off the bell curve...maybe indigo. And her ads were patently false. In no small part, she kept repeating she had enacted laws. She was never in a position to enact even a law against the chewing of gum. And, bloody heck, she hasn't tried a court case in a prosecutorial role since 1996.

I have five professional certifications that have lapsed in the past decade. Maybe I should run for a public office because, clearly, demonstration of current experience and current qualifications does not matter.

Not gonna talk about Ron Hickman. Not a friend, but an acquaintance. This is a good man, an honest man, a man of faith and a Republican who has served in Houston Law Enforcement since 1971, promoted all along the way. Did the idiots voting know that he had been an HPD Underwater Search and Recovery diver, and a Bomb Squad technician? That he had grown up here? When officers put their lives on the line, it helps to know your leader has seen the adversity himself.

Ron Hickman has been in Houston all of his storied career. And this is a guy who also graduated from the prestigious FBI National Academy.

Ed Gonzalez promised to treat offenders with gentle gloves. To essentially ignore minor offenders. To make education and skill-building and social skills the goal of the jail system rather than incarceration. Like a summer camp for criminals.

Because, I guess...global warming. :banghead:

Because these "minor" offenders who already live off the government's dole just, well, they just need a little more dole to make everything right.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

ShannonC

Post by ShannonC »

bblhd672 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:This isn't bad, it's horrific! He shouldn't even be a licensed peace officer in Texas.

Chas.
Or any other state...except maybe California. They might deserve him.
I believe he came from California.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

EastTexasRancher wrote:meh, never mind.
Texas edged closer to becoming a blue state this year than any in recent past.

"Meh" is pretty much an attitude no Texan should take right about now. Or ever.

The biggest population centers in Texas, some of the largest in the country, are now fully blue. If you haven't looked at a county-by-county map, you should. Almost all of the southern border counties are blue (think that's from the southern ranch land-owner vote?) and our electoral results November 8 were far closer than I would have liked.

If you don't care about Houston politics, fine. Don't post here.

If you're saying you don't give a squib about Texas politics in general, I have an issue with that.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

Likely that APD Chief of Staff Brian Manley will be interim chief.

He was being considered for the San Antonio chief position last year, but withdrew after APD gave him a raise from 206K to 216K. Salary for the outgoing Houston chief is 275K. (cough, cough.....)
-Ruark

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

It's about politics and money.

Politics and money.

Shame we have to live with the result.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Skiprr wrote:
EastTexasRancher wrote:meh, never mind.
Texas edged closer to becoming a blue state this year than any in recent past.

"Meh" is pretty much an attitude no Texan should take right about now. Or ever.

The biggest population centers in Texas, some of the largest in the country, are now fully blue. If you haven't looked at a county-by-county map, you should. Almost all of the southern border counties are blue (think that's from the southern ranch land-owner vote?) and our electoral results November 8 were far closer than I would have liked.

If you don't care about Houston politics, fine. Don't post here.

If you're saying you don't give a squib about Texas politics in general, I have an issue with that.
Hillary got about the same vote percentage in Texas in 2016 as Obama in 2008 43%. I don't call that Texas coming close to turning blue. Trump got less than Romney in Texas, but likely because Gary Johnson got a lot more votes. Johnson voters are very unlikely to vote for a Democrat. Wendy Davis (aka Abortion Barbie) got CRUSHED by Greg Abbott. We've had 2 Republican Senators since 1994...?

The real threat to Texas is the California refugees who come like locusts and turn the state into what they fled. That and the Feds enfranchising millions of illegals so they can vote Democrat. :mad5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”