LTC Holder Pulls Firearm In Park

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

LTC Holder Pulls Firearm In Park

Post by carlson1 »

http://www.fox4news.com/news/257935646-story
Mansfield police say what is not seen before the alarming moment on Memorial Day is the man with the gun being attacked. They said as a gun owner with a license to carry, he was only defending himself.

bblhd672

Re: LTC Holder Pulls Firearm In Park

Post by bblhd672 »

carlson1 wrote:http://www.fox4news.com/news/257935646-story
Mansfield police say what is not seen before the alarming moment on Memorial Day is the man with the gun being attacked. They said as a gun owner with a license to carry, he was only defending himself.
Perfect example of how a video does not tell the entire story. Good thing eyewitnesses collaborated the LTC holder's justification for self defense.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Post by parabelum »

And of course the video starts in the moment where LTC'er looks like an aggressor, with kids around... :banghead:

At least MPD has got it straightened out it appears.

" According to Mansfield police, the man who had the gun is licensed to carry in the state of Texas. And after speaking to witnesses, investigators say he pointed the gun at the other man, who police are calling the "aggressor," after being lifted up from the bench and hit in the face and torso. "

I'd say he actually showed great deal of restraint, especially since he got "lifted up from the bench" and "hit in the face and torso", according to witnesses & MPD.

I would like to see the aggressor, how come we don't have his name? Did I miss it? His picture? I understand they are looking for him, but come on, nobody bothered to take a picture or a video of a guy getting a quick beat down? Only after he tries to defend himself?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Chalk one (more) up for the good guys. The thug is lucky that his victim showed such restraint.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

parabelum wrote:...

I would like to see the aggressor, how come we don't have his name? Did I miss it? His picture? I understand they are looking for him, but come on, nobody bothered to take a picture or a video of a guy getting a quick beat down? Only after he tries to defend himself?
It is my understanding that the MPD is trying to identify him and the news said according to the Police he would be facing "assault charges."

Tylerscott20

Post by Tylerscott20 »

carlson1 wrote:
parabelum wrote:...

It is my understanding that the MPD is trying to identify him and the news said according to the Police he would be facing "assault charges."
This is what I heard on the news last night. The man apparently fled before police arrived.

Revet

Post by Revet »

Googling; "Mansfield, TX, Rose Park, gun," produced the usual page of links with story summations/descriptions that are interesting to compare:

FOX4news.com: "Mansfield PD: Man pulls out gun at busy park in self-defense"

dfw.CBS.local.com: "Man pulls gun on children in park."

The headlines to which the links led were sometimes different. These are just the descriptions on the google page. But they illustrate the perniciousness of political spin in every corner of media.
Common sense is not common practice.
NRA Benefactor, TSRA life member.

MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

I just saw this story on WFAA's website. It states,
You also can't have a gun in a public park if a school-sponsored event is going on there, because Texas law makes it clear. Guns are not allowed on school premises, at school activities, or in school buses.
So is the law really written that if I'm in a city park, such as River Legacy Park, Veterans Park, etc owned by the City of Arlington and there happens to be a school bus in the parking lot and kids playing on the play ground, I can't carry there? I understand the issues with zoo's but haven't seen regular, everyday, publicly accessed, no fee parks being possibly prohibited.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/verify/v ... /444593909
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

MustangGlocker wrote:I just saw this story on WFAA's website. It states,
You also can't have a gun in a public park if a school-sponsored event is going on there, because Texas law makes it clear. Guns are not allowed on school premises, at school activities, or in school buses.
So is the law really written that if I'm in a city park, such as River Legacy Park, Veterans Park, etc owned by the City of Arlington and there happens to be a school bus in the parking lot and kids playing on the play ground, I can't carry there? I understand the issues with zoo's but haven't seen regular, everyday, publicly accessed, no fee parks being possibly prohibited.

No, the reporter is just misstating the law. In their defense, it is a fairly common misunderstanding.

There was a bill to further clarify this in the legislature this year. But I'm not sure what happened with it.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:

No, the reporter is just misstating the law. In their defense, it is a fairly common misunderstanding.

There was a bill to further clarify this in the legislature this year. But I'm not sure what happened with it.
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 6#p1126579

SB349 by Creighton. Died in House Calendars.

Read the first post and see Charles' write up on why the clarification shouldn't be needed but unfortunately is.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Everywhere school children may go as a school sponsored activity, does not make it unlawful to have a gun. If that were the case, every time a sports team stopped at McDonald's, it would be unlawful to carry. The WFAA website is wrong. Just as the Capitol, doesn't become off limits when a school takes kids there.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

Thanks for all the replies. I was very confident they were wrong but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything on the laws or pending changes. Hard to keep track of them all.

Imagine that, the media doesn't know what they are talking about. :banghead:
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

MustangGlocker wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I was very confident they wwre wrong but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything on the laws or pending changes. Hard to keep track of them all.

Imagine that, the media doesn't know what they are talking about. :banghead:

Just the fact, that they had to verify with the DPS, about even carrying in a city park, should tell you all you need to know about their level of knowledge regarding gun laws. The way it was written was, as if they were surprised, that carry was legal there at all. It's no wonder we get the type of misinformation spread by the media, on anything gun related. :grumble
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Why would you want to carry in a park? There are children there....
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

ScottDLS wrote:Why would you want to carry in a park? There are children there....
I know you're being sarcastic, of course, but I will never understand how some people actually have this mentality. Other adults at least have a range of options available to them to defend themselves. Children don't. They require adults to protect them. The presence of children is a reason TO carry, not a reason NOT to carry.

Speaking to the actual article, did you notice the quote from the witness: “You don't know if he's gonna have a misfire or any kids are going to get hurt in the crossfire.” That tells me everything I need to know about that person's level of experience with guns. If the guns misfires, nobody's getting shot. Since only one person has a gun, there's not going to be a crossfire. :roll:
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”