Carrying an empty holster

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying an empty holster

Post by Jusme »

WildBill wrote:
Jose_in_Dallas wrote:I'm guessing you guys are talking about an empty OWB holster that's open carried? Anytime I've had to "carry" a holster without a gun (Post Office/FedEx), no one would have been the wiser as it's not really visible anyway with what I generally wear.
I am assuming the same. I have carried an empty OWB holster several times and nobody noticed or reacted or cared. :lol:

I have the same reaction with a full holster. I'll bet that 99% of the people never notice, and I carry a full size M&P.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

TreyHouston wrote:I wore an empty holster to jury duty. Guard asked of I was a LEO, i said "no". Waved me through. I didn't get picked for jury . :headscratch
You can also carry a pocket constitution from FIJA and they won't pick you either! I have several and I always put one in my top shirt pocket when I get called for jury duty!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I was in Midland Texas and had just purchased a Colt Delta Elite, taken it to a local indoor range and test fired it. On my way out I saw a few nice items and decided to go to the nearest branch of a bank I use. This particular bank is signed 30.07 but welcomes concealed carry so I have no problem. I secured my primary carry (Kimber TLE II), went inside comfortable knowing my Sig 938 was happily concealed while the holster was empty. The teller asked why I was disarmed and was shocked to learn that their signage applied to me. She assumed because I the way I was dressed and presented myself that I was a LEO. After clarifying to her that I was not I got my money and went back to my vehicle where I reloaded my holster and returned to the range. When I left the range that time I had also picked up an STI Lawman 5.0 to go with the Delta Elite.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote:I'm guessing you guys are talking about an empty OWB holster that's open carried? Anytime I've had to "carry" a holster without a gun (Post Office/FedEx), no one would have been the wiser as it's not really visible anyway with what I generally wear.
No. Mine is IWB and that is why it is still on my belt a lot of the time. My wife is going through chemo and we end up in medical buildings several times a week, sometimes a couple of times a day. I have a safe in the car where I store my gun but I like to be able to come out of the medical buildings and re-holster the gun so I leave the holster and my mag pouches on my belt. The IWB (Comp-Tac Minotaur) takes a moment or so to remove and then replace afterward. Besides, the holster is my silent protest to having to disarm.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Once upon a time, our now retired Canadian born previous PCP noticed my empty holster during an examination and jokingly asked If I had lost my gun.

Our new/current PCP saw the gun in my holster during a first exam, back in the winter, and remarked that his wife had mentioned that he should get his CHL. Mrs. Oldgringo and I both opined that his wife was right. In neither instance was the holster or the gun an issue or even a question.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

Every day.

Can't take the fun into work so we park outside the fence, leave the gun in the car, and walk in with an empty holster.

I carry open so my empty holster is clearly visible. Same with any .06/.07 venues.

My holster is not on the statutory prohibited list.

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm flying to New York City tomorrow. Tempted to wear an empty OWB holster, but I will resist. No need to give TSA any reason to freak out.

DEB

Post by DEB »

I have several times in the past, here on Fort Hood. This in case there is another active shooting, and I am one of the unarmed victims. When they pick up my carcass they can comment on what could have been, if there was a weapon in the holster instead of it being just empty. I stopped when I also figured that I could be picked to be one of the active shooters and receive some of the post-action blame, as the dead don't argue.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

3 mags on left, empty Safariland QLS reciever on right. Gotta get that Sub 2000.

My pistol lives in its ALS holster, only coming out to be used or cleaned.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

Only problem doing this is that anyone who might be casing the parking lot knows that the vehicle you exited now contains a firearm.

MrMcCullster

Post by MrMcCullster »

I had an interesting experience going to a movie right after I started carrying.

The movie theater I go to is posted 30.06/30.07, and at the time I was using a black Galco Summer Comfort IWB leather holster at around the 4:30 position. That holster sits a little high for my taste (I've since retired this holster to my drawer of holsters), and I was wearing a very soft t-shirt that day and no doubt probably printed a little bit.

At this theater there are a few armed security officers at the front entrances. As I went in, I handed the teenager my ticket and she directed me to my theater, but I needed to stop off and go to the little boys room first. The path would lead me directly in front of the LEO's line of sight.

I noticed the LEO at the front (I sometimes check their holster and gear out and see what their packing) and headed for the urinals.

After I saddled up and began doing my business, the LEO quickly followed me in there. He was walking brisk. Very brisk. Almost charging in there like he was on a mission.

I was concentrating on doing what I needed to do at the stand up urinal, and my shirt was soft to bunch or wasn't low enough to cover my empty black holster over my back pocket.

The LEO stopped off at the sinks and began washing his hands, I think glancing in my direction.

He dried his hands with the paper towels and left slower than he came in, no doubt I think wanting to investigate my "bulge" and finding out it was an empty holster and calming down.

I'm sure he was able to see my holster as I was doing my thing.

I walked back out of the bathroom and nothing ever came of it, and he didn't talk to me or anything. But being that I had just started to carry, my situational awareness clued me in that he was in fact walking into the bathroom at an elevated speed. Faster than normal. Did he desperately need to wash his hands? Or was he on his way to find out what I had under my shirt and found out and the situation was de-escalated? You be the judge.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

The closest I've ever come to this was a year or so ago at Bush Airport.

My niece was flying in to spend a few weeks with us. Since she was flying alone at age 9, I was permitted to get a 'companion pass' and enter the secured area to meet her at the gate, rather than waiting for her at baggage claim.

I disarmed, but left my Crossbreed inside my waistband (I don't know why, but it just felt good to do so). The TSA folks nearly had a conniption about it when I put it in the bin.

It took a level-headed TSA manager to inform them that a piece of leather and kydex that happens to be shaped like it could hold a gun (but isn't at the time) is less of a weapon than was the belt it attached to. He waived me on (belt, holster, and all), thanked me for carrying everyday, and pulled the two TSA folks off to the side for a bit of remedial instruction, I can only assume. :coolgleamA:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Vol Texan wrote:The closest I've ever come to this was a year or so ago at Bush Airport.

My niece was flying in to spend a few weeks with us. Since she was flying alone at age 9, I was permitted to get a 'companion pass' and enter the secured area to meet her at the gate, rather than waiting for her at baggage claim.

I disarmed, but left my Crossbreed inside my waistband (I don't know why, but it just felt good to do so). The TSA folks nearly had a conniption about it when I put it in the bin.

It took a level-headed TSA manager to inform them that a piece of leather and kydex that happens to be shaped like it could hold a gun (but isn't at the time) is less of a weapon than was the belt it attached to. He waived me on (belt, holster, and all), thanked me for carrying everyday, and pulled the two TSA folks off to the side for a bit of remedial instruction, I can only assume. :coolgleamA:
:thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Dreamer42

Post by Dreamer42 »

I'm a high school teacher and I sometimes wear my kydex holster to school under an untucked shirt on half days or when I'm working in my classroom on weekends or summers. I'm usually there for just a couple hours. No worries. It's just plastic, right?

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I had to disrobe yesterday for a Lumbar Facet Injection. In recovery, after the procedure, the somewhat mature nurse tried to assist by putting my tee shirt on me before my shorts. I told her the shorts, with belted holster on them, go on first because the suspenders go under the shirt. She remarked that her Dad wore his suspenders over his shirt? I replied that I wore a gun under my shirt and she asked, "licensed to carry"? She found it interesting that both Mrs. Oldgringo and I are licensed and carried.

The point of this otherwise pointless post is that she was aware of CHL and neither she nor the hospital were concerned about where, when or why I carry an "eargesplitten loudenboomer".

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”