John Cornyn of Texas is focused on bump-stocks

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: John Cornyn of Texas is focused on bump-stocks

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Is there no one who can guess why his statement was made at this time? :banghead:

Chas.
His statement makes sense when you look at the whole picture.

Do I like that it's being discussed? No. Do I understand why? Yes. Personally, and in an immediate sense, this wouldn't affect me at all.
I sincerely hope that any regulation on this type of device doesn't lead to other things being regulated, and I think that's a real fear in this day and age.

Do I hope that regulation of bump stocks is used as a vehicle of compromise on other things pending in the legislature? Absolutely.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Smokey613
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Smokey613 »

ScottDLS wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:
TVGuy wrote:Anybody else baffled by the NRA's call for additional regulations on bump fire stocks? :headscratch
Not baffled at all. It is a smart move from the NRA to reduce the liberals momentum.

:tiphat:

P.S.: Why would a normal person want a device to increase firing rate anyway? Using a loopholes is what Obama preferred to do, isn't it? My $.02 is that one wanting a full auto should man up and get it using the legal way with all the implied paperwork and taxes.

:patriot:
I want a device to simulate full auto, because I don't have the $25,000 to buy a pre-86 registered M-16. I bought two legal full autos 15 years ago, but as designed the Hughes amendment to the FOPA of 1986 has reduced the supply to the point where only a rich retired real estate investor could afford a full-auto. :rules:
Or one of the millionaire members of Congress.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

bmwrdr wrote:
TVGuy wrote:Anybody else baffled by the NRA's call for additional regulations on bump fire stocks? :headscratch
Not baffled at all. It is a smart move from the NRA to reduce the liberals momentum.

P.S.: Why would a normal person want a device to increase firing rate anyway? Using a loopholes is what Obama preferred to do, isn't it? My $.02 is that one wanting a full auto should man up and get it using the legal way with all the implied paperwork and taxes.

The Obama Admin approved the bump stock because it is a help to handicapped shooters. So there are many reasons why someone would want one.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 8

Post by anygunanywhere »

SewTexas wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:

The Obama Admin approved the bump stock because it is a help to handicapped shooters. So there are many reasons why someone would want one.
Maybe we can get bump stocks added to the ADA.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

[quote=]
Or one of the millionaire members of Congress.[/quote]

Those are excluded from Obamacare as well.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

parabelum
Posts in topic: 10

Post by parabelum »

I'm still amazed at the ridiculous nature of these "common sense" "gun control " measures.

If you are a maniac on a mission to murder, why in the world would you give a darn about this law or that regulation, this check or that? Nonsense.

Very disappointed in NRA's and Cornyn's statements. It's a Trojan horse in my opinion. Once you start conceding your ideology you lose your principles. Bump-stocks? Really?

I said before that a well trained marksmen with a single shot trapdoor 45/70, 72+ minutes of time and few hundred rounds could have killed more then this murderer did. Shoukd we now also be open on how much training someone receives? After all, isn't this factually correct;

A person who is a regular shooter and who received formal marksmanship training is more likely to produce more deaths if he/she "snapped", then someone who is just a "casual" shooter?

Moreover, outside of military, why should an "ordinary" citizen be allowed access to these courses that aim to make someone very lethal in the event they "snap"?

Be careful NRA and Cornyn types before you open yet another Pandora's box.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

parabelum wrote:I'm still amazed at the ridiculous nature of these "common sense" "gun control " measures.

If you are a maniac on a mission to murder, why in the world would you give a darn about this law or that regulation, this check or that? Nonsense.

Very disappointed in NRA's and Cornyn's statements. It's a Trojan horse in my opinion. Once you start conceding your ideology you lose your principles. Bump-stocks? Really?

I said before that a well trained marksmen with a single shot trapdoor 45/70, 72+ minutes of time and few hundred rounds could have killed more then this murderer did. Shoukd we now also be open on how much training someone receives? After all, isn't this factually correct;

A person who is a regular shooter and who received formal marksmanship training is more likely to produce more deaths if he/she "snapped", then someone who is just a "casual" shooter?

Moreover, outside of military, why should an "ordinary" citizen be allowed access to these courses that aim to make someone very lethal in the event they "snap"?

Be careful NRA and Cornyn types before you open yet another Pandora's box.
This is the type of slope I don't want to see.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Another thing that irks me is when Libs are in power we lose freedoms. When "we" are in power we still lose on the alter of compromise. When do they compromise on anything when they have the power?

So nauseating.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bmwrdr wrote:

I am not a politician. But I am a decent negotiator. And immediately giving in on a key term in the hopes that your opponents won't then ask for anything else seems like a pretty weak negotiating ploy. Appeasement didn't work too well for Chamberlain. And I fear that this concession will only feed the anti-gunners fervor when they smell blood in the water.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

parabelum wrote:Another thing that irks me is when Libs are in power we lose freedoms. When "we" are in power we still lose on the alter of compromise. When do they compromise on anything when they have the power?

So nauseating.
The GOP will save us.©
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Just received this from the TSRA.
Dear TSRA members, Family and Friends

Please share the message below:

National Rifle Association of America | 11250 Waples Mill Road | Fairfax, VA 22031

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Oct. 5, 2017

FOR MORE INFORMATION
NRA Public Affairs
(703) 267-3820
media@nrahq.org

NRA's Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox Issue Joint Statement

Fairfax, Va.- The National Rifle Association today issued the following statement:

"In the aftermath of the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas, the American people are looking for answers as to how future tragedies can be prevented. Unfortunately, the first response from some politicians has been to call for more gun control.

Banning guns from law-abiding Americans based on the criminal act of a madman will do nothing to prevent future attacks. This is a fact that has been proven time and again in countries across the world.

In Las Vegas, reports indicate that certain devices were used to modify the firearms involved. Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law.

The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.

In an increasingly dangerous world, the NRA remains focused on our mission: strengthening Americans' Second Amendment freedom to defend themselves, their families and their communities. To that end, on behalf of our five million members across the country, we urge Congress to pass National Right-to-Carry reciprocity, which will allow law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families from acts of violence."

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America's oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. More than five million members strong, NRA continues to uphold the Second Amendment and advocates enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the armed services.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I can back this idea.

Caution - some profanity.

http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/201 ... -come.html

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

sjfcontrol wrote:Just received this from the TSRA.

National Rifle Association of America | 11250 Waples Mill Road | Fairfax, VA 22031

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Oct. 5, 2017

FOR MORE INFORMATION
NRA Public Affairs
(703) 267-3820
media@nrahq.org

Fairfax, Va.- The National Rifle Association today issued the following statement:

"In the aftermath of the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas, the American people are looking for answers as to how future tragedies can be prevented. Unfortunately, the first response from some politicians has been to call for more gun control.

Banning guns from law-abiding Americans based on the criminal act of a madman will do nothing to prevent future attacks. This is a fact that has been proven time and again in countries across the world.

In Las Vegas, reports indicate that certain devices were used to modify the firearms involved. Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law.

The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.

In an increasingly dangerous world, the NRA remains focused on our mission: strengthening Americans' Second Amendment freedom to defend themselves, their families and their communities. To that end, on behalf of our five million members across the country, we urge Congress to pass National Right-to-Carry reciprocity, which will allow law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families from acts of violence."

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America's oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. More than five million members strong, NRA continues to uphold the Second Amendment and advocates enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the armed services.
Put them on the same bill. Amend Nat'l Reciprocity with this new restriction. Don't allow restriction to pass before reciprocity.
And, please don't forget the SHARE/HP Acts.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Just received this from the TSRA.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Oct. 5, 2017

FOR MORE INFORMATION
NRA Public Affairs
(703) 267-3820
media@nrahq.org

Put them on the same bill. Amend Nat'l Reciprocity with this new restriction. Don't allow restriction to pass before reciprocity.
And, please don't forget the SHARE/HP Acts

I can agree with that. Our stuff has got to come first and be passed first before anything is given up. But good luck on that.

For the record, I don't own bump-stocks nor did I plan on owning one. If anything I think they are ugly. But, it's the principle.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

Papa_Tiger wrote:Cornyn lost my vote a long time ago. This certainly doesn't draw him into my good graces...
I agree.

First let's finish the investigation.

I don't own one nor do I plan to even get one before they may be banned.

I think the concept of a bump stock is foolish. It I assume is not very accurate and uses a lot of ammunition.

If I want the thrill of firing an automatic, I'll go to one of those places ironically in Las Vegas.

I assume in the world is coming to an end times, accuracy and conserving ammunition will be very important.

I would like to see national receprosity.

Sure use it as a bargaining chip it he actually used one to get receprosity, but first let's finish the investigation.

Any body imagine if Hillary was president what it would be like right now. We might be looking at Australia right now.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”