John Cornyn of Texas is focused on bump-stocks

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: John Cornyn of Texas is focused on bump-stocks

Post by Oldgringo »

John Cornyn, like all the rest of 'em, is focused on being re-elected. TERM LIMITS!

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

mojo84 wrote:A bipartisan effort to ban bump stocks.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/35476 ... ump-stocks

HOUSE
October 10, 2017 - 03:30 PM EDT
Bipartisan lawmakers unveil bill to ban gun bump stocks

GETTY
BY CRISTINA MARCOS 10,001
TWEET SHARE MORE
A bipartisan pair of lawmakers unveiled legislation on Tuesday to ban a device used by the suspected gunman in the Las Vegas massacre to make semi-automatic weapons fire shots more rapidly.

The bill, authored by Reps. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.) and Seth Moulton (D-Mass.), would prohibit the manufacture, sale and use of the devices, known as “bump stocks,” or anything similar that is designed to increase the rate of fire but doesn’t convert a semi-automatic rifle into an automatic weapon.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 8

Post by anygunanywhere »

Oldgringo wrote:John Cornyn, like all the rest of 'em, is focused on being re-elected. TERM LIMITS!
This is not going to help him get reelected.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

Thomas Massie from Kentucky is pushing back. And he makes some good points.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/11/bump- ... ssession-o
Massie is also troubled by the retroactive criminalization of devices that people already own. "Are the manufacturers going to be compelled by the government to turn over lists of customers who legally acquired [products] that were declared by the regulatory authority to be legal?" he wonders. "This could set the precedent for a gun grab if you're retroactively banning these things."
Do what you say you're gonna do.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

This is an ambiguous, poorly worded bill and shouldn't see the light of day.
https://curbelo.house.gov/uploadedfiles ... ockban.pdf
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

mojo84 wrote:A bipartisan effort to ban bump stocks.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/35476 ... ump-stocks

HOUSE
October 10, 2017 - 03:30 PM EDT

GETTY
BY CRISTINA MARCOS 10,001
TWEET SHARE MORE
A bipartisan pair of lawmakers unveiled legislation on Tuesday to ban a device used by the suspected gunman in the Las Vegas massacre to make semi-automatic weapons fire shots more rapidly.

The bill, authored by Reps. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.) and Seth Moulton (D-Mass.), would prohibit the manufacture, sale and use of the devices, known as “bump stocks,” or anything similar that is designed to increase the rate of fire but doesn’t convert a semi-automatic rifle into an automatic weapon.
As I have heard mentioned by lots of others, many accessories can be said to "increase the rate of fire" of an AR well beyond a slide-fire stock. Foolish wording like that will get upgraded triggers and all sorts of things banned. It could probably even be stretched to include high capacity magazines.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BBYC »

A semi auto action has an increased rate of fire compared to a manual bolt action. A manual bolt action has an increased rate of fire compared to a single shot metallic cartridge rifle. A single shot metallic cartridge rifle has an increased rate of fire compared to a 1776-era Kentucky Rifle.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The retroactive application part is a HUGE problem and sets a very dangerous precedent.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

parabelum wrote:So I guess they’ll ban belts etc. those can be used to increase the rate of fire...oh, we need to ban fingers too. Yes, like human fingers! They definitely increase the rate of fire. Sweet!
Belts, rubber bands, wood/plastic/metal rods, enhanced trigger components, sand paper and other abrasives that can be used to smooth up trigger components, bipods help you get back on target quicker, thus increasing your rate of fire, as do scopes of all types, after market iron sights, and of course hi-capacity magazines (anything over 1 round capacity) which dramatically increase the rate of fire for these evil killing machines by requiring less frequent reloads.

If you possess any of the above, whether you own an AR or not, you go to jail. Yep, sounds like "common sense gun control" to me. I guess it's just too bad that my 70 year old mom will be facing prison time for the wooden spoon she has in her kitchen.....

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Here is the Bill:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... -bill/3999

Of course, they are calling this a "common sense gun law". That clearly identifies it as anything but "common sense". It is, as posted prior, ambiguous and could lead to the banning of any aftermarket AR component.

Here is the link to a petition to prevent the bill:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... signed-law
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

K9Texas

Post by K9Texas »

I hope they do ban the bump stocks and anything else that increases rate of fire. I also would like to see the GCA repealed so full auto could be purchased IF a tax stamp was paid along with a full background check, including a psych test. Some of you might think it harsh, but I believe before anyone can own a weapon with over a 600 RPM cyclic rate it would be smart to make sure they are not a nut job. I used full auto in the military and while I was a LEO and I know what kind of damage can be done when someone does a " Pray and Spray ", as we saw in Las Vegas :patriot:
:patriot: God Bless These United States of America :patriot:

parabelum
Posts in topic: 10

Post by parabelum »

K9Texas wrote:I hope they do ban the bump stocks and anything else that increases rate of fire. I also would like to see the GCA repealed so full auto could be purchased IF a tax stamp was paid along with a full background check, including a psych test. Some of you might think it harsh, but I believe before anyone can own a weapon with over a 600 RPM cyclic rate it would be smart to make sure they are not a nut job. I used full auto in the military and while I was a LEO and I know what kind of damage can be done when someone does a " Pray and Spray ", as we saw in Las Vegas :patriot:
Would that include fingers too? Plenty of folks out there (you tube it) who can shoot pretty darn fast, their “cyclic rate” is crazy because of their super fast trigger pull. Maybe we can get government to regulate finger speed too! :shock:

Oh, who will be responsible for this “psych test” and who will pay for it? Isn’t that discriminatory against poor folk... :rules:

But hey, great ideas and such! "rlol"

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

K9Texas wrote:I hope they do ban the bump stocks and anything else that increases rate of fire. I also would like to see the GCA repealed so full auto could be purchased IF a tax stamp was paid along with a full background check, including a psych test. Some of you might think it harsh, but I believe before anyone can own a weapon with over a 600 RPM cyclic rate it would be smart to make sure they are not a nut job. I used full auto in the military and while I was a LEO and I know what kind of damage can be done when someone does a " Pray and Spray ", as we saw in Las Vegas :patriot:
Everyone has their acceptable level of infringement of their Constitutional rights.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

parabelum wrote:
Would that include fingers too? Plenty of folks out there (you tube it) who can shoot pretty darn fast, their “cyclic rate” is crazy because of their super fast trigger pull. Maybe we can get government to regulate finger speed too! :shock:

Oh, who will be responsible for this “psych test” and who will pay for it? Isn’t that discriminatory against poor folk... :rules:

But hey, great ideas and such! "rlol"
I guess you also ban Jerry Miculek

K9Texas

Post by K9Texas »

Have you ever been on the receiving end of full auto ? I have, and even with a bump stock rate of fire, it isn't fun, and hard to defend against with any semi auto. If you want to use fully auto, then you should pay for a psych exam and your background, plain and simple. There is no practical reason for full auto. NONE. It is a fact anything beyond a 3 rd burst is wasted ammo. If you want a " Full Auto Toy ", you should be able to demonstrate you are of sound mind to own it. Do you think SWAT (or any LEO) gets a full auto?. No, they don't. They go through a rigorous background check AND A PSYCH EXAM. Why should Joe Q Civilian be any different before he is allowed to buy a full auto. How does this infringe on your 2nd amendment rights? You can buy anything semi auto. If you want an AUTO, I DO THINK you should be able to buy one WITH a background and a psych. The finger comment is just silly and does not merit a response. I know we won't agree and that is fine. I am just expressing my opinion about bump stocks and anything that alters the rate of fire.
:patriot: God Bless These United States of America :patriot:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”