John Cornyn of Texas is focused on bump-stocks

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

parabelum
Posts in topic: 10

Re: John Cornyn of Texas is focused on bump-stocks

Post by parabelum »

Yes I have. 5 years in Bosnia.

Yet, why should my personal experience dictate freedoms of others?

Again, just ban fingers.

K9Texas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K9Texas »

If you want to have a serious, intelligent conversation/debate, we can do that, but this ban the finger stuff is just ridiculous talk.
:patriot: God Bless These United States of America :patriot:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

The magic of a more in depth investigation or deeper psych evaluation. Isn't the Answer to anything and provide no extra security.
Crazy people are actually pretty good at hiding their symptoms from those whom they want to hide them from. Shrinks are notoriously anti gun and government employed shrinks even more so. Today psychology is more art than real science.Even under today's laws LTSs and LEOs are under pressure not ever see a shrink, doing so would put their rights or jobs in jeopardy. Perhaps these days if we had more laws encouraging folks to get help instead of laying minefields, We might have fewer Vegas shoot up's.

A more in depth investigation?
I remember when I had my security investigation to join the Army I was told it cost an average of $10,000 dollars for each person to get his clearance. It took several months, They interviewed all my neighbors, employers and even the librarian? This was in 70s, and for someone who had the history of a 19 year old who had lived at home. Yeah I don't imagine things are much different today. Yet we still produce folks like Chelsea/Bradley Manning or Julian Assange who were entrusted with something far more dangerous than an automatic weapon. The thing is there is no real way to look inside anyone's brain and know whats going on there. or what will be going on in the future.

We are promised the ability to arm ourselves, not with hunting grade weapons but fully military grade weapons. Yeah, there are things out there for more dangerous than automatic weapons, Things like virii and bacteria, computers fertilizer, fuels, aluminum and files and castor seeds. Shrinks and clearances are a very thin shield to protect us.

and yes, I have run automatic weapons and seen what they can do. I've also seen the damage a couple of people armed with boxcutters can do ..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 8

Post by anygunanywhere »

K9Texas wrote:If you want to have a serious, intelligent conversation/debate, we can do that, but this ban the finger stuff is just ridiculous talk.
It might seem ridiculous to you, but 2A infringements, no matter how slight, are serious issues to a lot of folks.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

K9Texas wrote: Do you think SWAT (or any LEO) gets a full auto?. No, they don't.
You need to meet more cops. I know several, SWAT and not, that do.

And I shouldn't have to explain this to you but police candidates go through psych examinations because they are put into a position of enforcing the law and taking away the freedom of others as a duty of their job. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
Psalm 91:2

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

It may be time to primary John Cornyn.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

John Galt wrote:It may be time to primary John Cornyn.
Whoever runs against him has my vote....unless it’s Hillary
:mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

I seriously doubt I will ever vote for him again, no matter the office or opponent.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

K9Texas wrote:Have you ever been on the receiving end of full auto ? I have, and even with a bump stock rate of fire, it isn't fun, and hard to defend against with any semi auto. If you want to use fully auto, then you should pay for a psych exam and your background, plain and simple. There is no practical reason for full auto. NONE. It is a fact anything beyond a 3 rd burst is wasted ammo. If you want a " Full Auto Toy ", you should be able to demonstrate you are of sound mind to own it. Do you think SWAT (or any LEO) gets a full auto?. No, they don't. They go through a rigorous background check AND A PSYCH EXAM. Why should Joe Q Civilian be any different before he is allowed to buy a full auto. How does this infringe on your 2nd amendment rights? You can buy anything semi auto. If you want an AUTO, I DO THINK you should be able to buy one WITH a background and a psych. The finger comment is just silly and does not merit a response. I know we won't agree and that is fine. I am just expressing my opinion about bump stocks and anything that alters the rate of fire.
Ok, both of us where in the military, same as many people here. You mentioned that you had a full auto. What psych evaluation did you receive BEFORE it was handed to you and said “Go get em”!
Ill tell you about what I said during my phych eval AFTER my first deployment... guess what they did... RTD! ( looking for the right emoji.... :thumbs2: and :roll: )

What I worry about is in Catalina Spain, follow that story if you want to see the “rights of the people”
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I'm not a fan of full auto weapons. Obtaining one requires buying from a finite supply and paying the cost of a car in addition to the stamp.

The bills under discussion now would make my Browning Cynergy illegal. They are poorly written and overbroad. A narrowly tailored bill would merit far less opposition, but as the finger analogy illustrates, the bills ultimately seek to ban a technique and attempt to do so by banning a virtually unlimited class of firearms, including double shotguns.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The current bills filed will not pass, at least in their as-filed form. "Authors" and sponsors know it.

Chas.

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KC5AV »

K9Texas wrote:If you want to have a serious, intelligent conversation/debate, we can do that, but this ban the finger stuff is just ridiculous talk.
The point that they are trying to make is that it is possible for achieve a very high cyclical rate with just your finger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3gf_5MR4tE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hXV-Buvs1Y

Granted, these are probably highly modified guns, but, if you're going to restrict an accessory, maybe you should also consider restricting certain individuals. /sarcasm
NRA lifetime member

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

It may seem that way to people who don't understand how firearms function mechanically, but gun owners were bump firing long before slide fire existed. We did it with no mechanical aids or modifications to the firearm. Using the trigger finger and support hand that God gave us.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

BBYC wrote:
It may seem that way to people who don't understand how firearms function mechanically, but gun owners were bump firing long before slide fire existed. We did it with no mechanical aids or modifications to the firearm. Using the trigger finger and support hand that God gave us.
:iagree: If you want to ban anything that makes "bump firing" possible, then you need to ban fingers. That is not "ridiculous talk". It is a fact. The only "ridiculous talk" is coming from people who don't understand how "bump firing" works.

Now if you want to ban a stock that includes certain very specific features that allow for a limited range of movement of a weapon within that stock, that is at least not "ridiculous talk". It will be completely ineffective at preventing "bump firing", and will at best just be another useless feel good measure that does nothing other than trample on our 2A rights for no real reason. But it would at least allow for a serious, intelligent conversation / debate.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I missed it? Did they finally release what weapons were used in the shooting? I still swear they where autos... too long of firing time between reloading
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”