Minnesota LTCer Shoots Motorist After Car Accident

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
superstar
Posts in topic: 1

Minnesota LTCer Shoots Motorist After Car Accident

Post by superstar »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/f ... -1.3762477

This is a stain for the LTC community, a sad and tragic event that could have been avoided.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Minnesota LTCer Shoots Motorist After Car Accident

Post by Jusme »

superstar wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/f ... -1.3762477

This is a stain for the LTC community, a sad and tragic event that could have been avoided.

I will withhold judgement until more info is forthcoming. So far all we have is one side of the story. Even the statement, that " no punches were thrown" is not an indicator that the shooter, did not fear for his safety. I wasn't there, and did not witness the incident, so anything I could add would be conjecture.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

There's a (very) little bit more information here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3759085

One thing that tells me there might be more to the situation:
The slain teen’s passenger claims he watched his pal, Muhammed Rahim, 17, confront an armed man itching for a fight after their two vehicles crashed Sunday morning in Rochester.

"My friend got in his face, and then the guy we hit pulled a gun out,” Noah Dukart told KTTC-TV. “Then my friend said, ‘I dare you,’ and he shot him right in the heart.”
So, it appears the "victim" may have initially been the aggressor. On the flip side, the mug shot of the shooter does not inspire confidence.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

The NY Daily News has an anti gun agenda so I take their story with a grain of salt. With that disclaimer out of the way.
Rahim is believed to have crashed into the other vehicle after sliding into a ditch, veering out in reverse and then striking the second car, according to police.
“My friend got in his face, and then the guy we hit pulled a gun out,” Noah Dukart told KTTC-TV.
Rahim negligently caused the wreck and then verbally confronted the guy he crashed into. In response to the verbal threats, the victim drew his handgun. In response to the handgun, Rahim escalated the situation further instead of backing off. He continued to pose an immediate proximate threat to the guy he crashed into. This is according to Rahim's friend, by the way.
Weiss claims he acted in self-defense because he feared his life was in danger.

Seems legit.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

stroo

Post by stroo »

A punch doesn't need to be thrown to justify acting in self defense.

However from the pictures, I don't see a disparity of force argument working. And simply daring someone to shoot doesn't justify shooting.

It will be interesting to see how this works out.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Maybe he was confused if there wasn't a sign like back home.

God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I had much the same done to me. I simply stayed in my truck and kept my pistol at the ready ( in the case he began breaking windows).I exited my truck when the Deputies arrived.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

stroo wrote:A punch doesn't need to be thrown to justify acting in self defense.

However from the pictures, I don't see a disparity of force argument working. And simply daring someone to shoot doesn't justify shooting.

It will be interesting to see how this works out.
The passenger was close enough to hear what the two men were saying. That means he was out of his vehicle. Two against one, where the assailants are clearly willing to press the attack despite the presence of a gun? I dunno. Sounds like it might be a disparity of force to me. Once the two attackers manage to knock their victim down and disarm him, he is done. It is way too late for him to defend himself at that point.

I would ask the police captain whether one of his officers would be justified in shooting when confronted with two aggressive men who were "getting in the officers face" and refusing to back down even after the officer drew his weapon. If he charges this LTCer, how would he justify not charging one of his officers in the same situation? Or does he require his officers to first take a punch before they can fire? I hope that's not the case.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Pawpaw wrote:There's a (very) little bit more information here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3759085

The slain teen’s passenger claims he watched his pal, Muhammed Rahim, 17, confront an armed man itching for a fight after their two vehicles crashed Sunday morning in Rochester.

"My friend got in his face, and then the guy we hit pulled a gun out,” Noah Dukart told KTTC-TV. “Then my friend said, ‘I dare you,’ and he shot him right in the heart.”
So, it appears the "victim" may have initially been the aggressor. On the flip side, the mug shot of the shooter does not inspire confidence.
What's wrong with guy's mug shot? I don't see any tattoos. He has short hair. Looks like a normal guy to me.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:There's a (very) little bit more information here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3759085

What's wrong with guy's mug shot? I don't see any tattoos. He has short hair. Looks like a normal guy to me.

:iagree:

This occurred in Minnesota, very cold outside. Shooter probably had on winter headwear, which was removed for the photo. It's hard to comb your hair while wearing handcuffs. Add the stress of having to use a gun in a SD situation, immediately following a traffic accident, then being arrested. My mug shot would, more than likely, not make the cover of GQ.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

:iagree:

This occurred in Minnesota, very cold outside. Shooter probably had on winter headwear, which was removed for the photo. It's hard to comb your hair while wearing handcuffs. Add the stress of having to use a gun in a SD situation, immediately following a traffic accident, then being arrested. My mug shot would, more than likely, not make the cover of GQ.
If I had to randomly guess at the shooter's occupation based solely on the picture, I would probably say either LEO or military.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

... Noah Dukart told KTTC-TV. “Then my friend said, ‘I dare you,’ and he shot him right in the heart.”
Everyone knows that self defense applies as a legal defense only on double dog dares.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

montgomery wrote:
... Noah Dukart told KTTC-TV. “Then my friend said, ‘I dare you,’ and he shot him right in the heart.”
Everyone knows that self defense applies as a legal defense only on double dog dares.
Excellent point.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Umm, citing the precedent in "A Christmas Story", are you sure it doesn't require a TRIPLE DOG DARE? :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”