Secession?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 5

Secession?

Post by Grundy1133 »

I read an article abou tNorth Carolina introducing a bill that would allow them to secede from the US should the federal govt attempt to disarm their citizens of firearms that have been legally purchased... It made me wonder if other states would do the same thing... If they try to get rid of the 2nd amendment, Texas would be allowed to secede per the treaty that was signed. One requirement in the treaty was that the constitution was to be upheld... If the govt fails to do so, do you think Texas would secede, or if one state seceded do you think others would follow suit and we end up with a 2nd civil war?
NRA Member

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Secession?

Post by apostate »

Didn't they try that already?

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 6

Post by J.R.@A&M »

It is South Carolina (http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-g ... 32169.html), and it is a dumber idea now than it was in 1861. Not because of the martial implications, but because of the economic ones. South Carolina would make a pretty poor country. Its currency would be weak, and its interest rates would be sky high, and its economy would regress.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

J.R.@A&M wrote:It is South Carolina (http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-g ... 32169.html), and it is a dumber idea now than it was in 1861. Not because of the martial implications, but because of the economic ones. South Carolina would make a pretty poor country. Its currency would be weak, and its interest rates would be sky high, and its economy would regress.
Texas on the other hand would be pretty decent.. I mean heck we've done it before. lol
NRA Member

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Grundy1133 wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:It is South Carolina (http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-g ... 32169.html), and it is a dumber idea now than it was in 1861. Not because of the martial implications, but because of the economic ones. South Carolina would make a pretty poor country. Its currency would be weak, and its interest rates would be sky high, and its economy would regress.
Texas on the other hand would be pretty decent.. I mean heck we've done it before. lol
Better off than South Carolina, certainly. But I doubt Independent Texas would be economically as well off as Texas remaining in the United States. There are a lot of shared national expenses (defense, R&D, social security, medicare) that would probably be more expensive for Independent Texas to provide for its own citizens, assuming economies of scale in those services. And the currency/sovereign debt question is a real problem. Bond and currency markets don't give a hoot about how patriotic you or I feel.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Better off than South Carolina, certainly. But I doubt Independent Texas would be economically as well off as Texas remaining in the United States. There are a lot of shared national expenses (defense, R&D, social security, medicare) that would probably be more expensive for Independent Texas to provide for its own citizens, assuming economies of scale in those services. And the currency/sovereign debt question is a real problem. Bond and currency markets don't give a hoot about how patriotic you or I feel.
we could sell the US our oil and make billions :lol: :lol:
NRA Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Not sure I would like that Texas as "we" don't own the oil.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

twomillenium wrote:Not sure I would like that Texas as "we" don't own the oil.
I just economically Texas could sell the oil to the US. Texas supplies the US with 1/3 of their oil. imgaine if they no longer had access to it. they'd wanna pay whatever they could to get it back. or knowing trump he'd just invade and kill everyone and take it... :roll: :roll:
NRA Member

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Right. I assume the same amount of Texas oil (owned by whomever) would be sold as before. And Texas grain, beef, cotton, etc., would continue to be exported, although farmers would have harder time financing crop production without federal farm programs. Overall, I would think the rural parts of the State would suffer more from having fewer economic development resources.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
Right. I assume the same amount of Texas oil (owned by whomever) would be sold as before. And Texas grain, beef, cotton, etc., would continue to be exported, although farmers would have harder time financing crop production without federal farm programs. Overall, I would think the rural parts of the State would suffer more from having fewer economic development resources.
ah I misunderstood twomilleniums post about "we" not owning the oil. I thought he meant as in we the people not the state. :thumbs2: makes sense now
NRA Member

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
rural Texas has the wind farms and the oil wells and I think, they are starting solar....they might be ok for a while. If we seceded, we'd need the rural areas to start actually farming again.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

SewTexas wrote:
rural Texas has the wind farms and the oil wells and I think, they are starting solar....they might be ok for a while. If we seceded, we'd need the rural areas to start actually farming again.
Much of the property used for oil wells, Wind farms and oil production is used for agricultural purposes at the same time.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Liberty wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
Much of the property used for oil wells, Wind farms and oil production is used for agricultural purposes at the same time.
mmm, true....good property for cattle grazing and such.
Hey...we're coming up with some good stuff here....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

J.R.@A&M wrote:And Texas grain, beef, cotton, etc., would continue to be exported, although farmers would have harder time financing crop production without federal farm programs. Overall, I would think the rural parts of the State would suffer more from having fewer economic development resources.
And that’s why there will never be change, people want less government unless it negatively impacts their favorite redistribution program.
[sarcasm]Why we just can’t live without big.gov holding our hands and guaranteeing our results. [\sarcasm]
We’ll all ride the ship to the bottom cause no one thinks that iceberg has fatally wounded the hull.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Grundy1133 wrote:I read an article abou tNorth Carolina introducing a bill that would allow them to secede from the US should the federal govt attempt to disarm their citizens of firearms that have been legally purchased... It made me wonder if other states would do the same thing... If they try to get rid of the 2nd amendment, Texas would be allowed to secede per the treaty that was signed. One requirement in the treaty was that the constitution was to be upheld... If the govt fails to do so, do you think Texas would secede, or if one state seceded do you think others would follow suit and we end up with a 2nd civil war?
If a triggering event occurred that was sufficient to cause one state to secede, I think others would follow suit. What that event is, I don't know exactly but I could see it being some level of federal infringement on gun rights without a formal repeal of the 2nd Amendment. Depending on how this Masterpiece Bakery ruling goes, some really bad things could spiral out of control from that. And of course, the relentless federal spending and meddling almost has to reach a breaking point at some point.

imho, we are closer to a civil war than most of us want to admit.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”